Photo

TYPOGRAPHICS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BoCa

BoCa

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:-Graphic Design<br />-Illustration<br />-Motion Graphics<br />-Typography<br />-Art Direction

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:57 PM

Hey guys, how's it going?
This is a student project done by Boca (aka Marcos Ceravolo) and Ryan
Uhrich for the term 4 Motion Design Class in the Digital Design
Program at VFS (Vancouver Film School).
It is called Typographics, it is an informative motion graphics piece
on typography.
Our objective was to use type as the main aestheic and design element
to create awareness about the evolution and main characteristics of
typography. Both the music and voice over used in the piece make
reference to 1950's TV and Radio advertising.
We are targeting designers and non designers who have an interest in
typography and want to learn more about it.

here's the link to it:
TYPOGRAPHICS

some feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot.
All the best

Boca
BOCA

#2 javier g

javier g

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:motion graphics, of course!

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

i wasn't hooked on the first 30 secs, too much cam moves and the gothic type thing wich is needed in the story but not too well implemented as the following sequences.
the second half is much better, the compositions, the color palette and animation overall looks great to me.

really tight work, type is a wide topic, dig the end sequence when all comps are visible and then the press reproducing them.

#3 drj

drj

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

yea i agree, the second half is a million times better.

dont use rosewood.. its awful and reminds me of paris hilton's simple life. so many better wood fonts out there.

how did you get that effect on the anatomy of a letterform with the crumbly orange stuff? is it just cut up in illustrator and animate each part?

good work. if you tune up the beginning to match the end it would be awesome.

#4 SermonOfMockery

SermonOfMockery

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 3,499 posts
  • Interests:vocalizin' and socializin'

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:41 AM

nice work dude.

i would like to see a little bit more texture or something in there... some element of personal style or detail... something to make it feel a little less computer-generated, you know? to me, that's what takes work like this that's already A level and makes it A+.

#5 BoCa

BoCa

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:-Graphic Design<br />-Illustration<br />-Motion Graphics<br />-Typography<br />-Art Direction

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:23 AM

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the feedback, i really apreciate that! ^_^

Javier, I agree with you on the camera movements, they could be a little slower on the first half, i didn't really get what you said about the colour pallette on the second half though, they're basically the same, black & white, shades of grey and orange, you can notice that in the end, when you can see the press and the poster with all of the comps, we decided to use that colour pallette to reference the early days of print design, when that shade of orange was used quite a bit and also to make the piece cleaner and legible (forgive me Carson fans, I'm a big fan as well...). About the gothic and black letter typefaces that we used on the first half I think that they work well, anyways, it was a design choice, I really appreciate that thoug, cheers.

Drj, thanks for your opinion too.
I appreciate your opinion very much, I don't think that just because a particular typeface was used in a Paris Hilton tv show that it should be desregarded though, I think that rosewood is a very pleasing wood cut typeface and eventhough it's been vastly used I believe it still works, you could pretty much say the same thing about garamond or futura or even helvetica, they've all been used on both beautifulll and awefull projects, once again it was a design choice so there's always going to be some discussion and different opinions about that.
The effect on the anatomy was done on 3dmax and then matched on after effects, the modifier on 3dsmax is called mesh bomb, it's a sweet modifier but it's kinda hard to control and to get the results you want. i hope that helps.
By the way, I watched your reel and it looks pretty cool, well done.
Cheers Djr!

SermonOfMockery, cheers to you too my friend.
I totally get what you mean about the textures or that something else, I don't know if you noticed it but there's a subtle "old paper" texture overlaying the whole piece, we decided to leave it like that because we thought that it would make it cleaner and more legible, I guess we could've pushed it a little bit further though...
Thans for the kind words.

Thanks a lot guys, I can't wait to post some more new stuff... Feedback, good or bad, is always good and constructive.
Cheers

BoCa
BOCA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users