New User Website - Demo Reel

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_silversurfer_*

Guest_silversurfer_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 02:00 AM

Sorry guys...I thought this was a Demo Reel critique forum...not a Website critique forum.

Thanx & Take Care!

- Joe

#2 Guest_vers_*

Guest_vers_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 11:34 AM

I like most of your broadcast work(didn't look at anything else), but i have to say... your website is really bad. Very graphic intensive, too much image loading. The yellow text on the black background is a no no for me, especially the large, un-antialiased headings.

To complement your sort of work you need something clean, simple and easy to understand. Preferrably something on a white background. There's absolutely no need for all those images. All that needs to be seen is your work.

#3 Guest_jasfish_*

Guest_jasfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:55 PM

I thought the work was pretty solid overall. (I checked out the demo reel).

I'm not a big fan of countdowns on demo reels and to use two .. waaaayyyy too much. Why start with a countdown, go to your loading sequence (which was a little weak) and then go to another countdown? Too long to get to your stuff.

I think the first work you showed was not your best. You have some really nice work but I would chop it down a lot. Faster-pace and edit, edit, edit. Pick your best stuff and go from there.

And judging by the rest of your reel, I'm sure you can come up with a much cooler, tighter intro. The end needs work too. The closing steel door looks old-fashioned.

Again, I think you have some nice work. Believe me, I know how tough it can be to put together a reel when you work with a lot of the same clients. But I think it can be much better.

A also agree with the comments about the website. Needs work.

Good luck.

#4 Guest_silversurfer_*

Guest_silversurfer_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 01:26 PM

...thanx for the input, folks :D

vers,

I appreciate and accept ALL opinions because I posted my work and asked for it, but "your website is really bad" is not constructive criticism.

Don't quite know what you mean by "large un-antialiased headings"...this would be a font display setting in your browser preferences. They are perfectly clean on 90% of the computers I have tested it on.

Thank you and have a great day!

#5 Guest_vers_*

Guest_vers_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 03:41 PM

Not trying to be a smartass, but...

you did say "I submit my website for your critique" in your original post.

Oh and by un-antialiased text i mean... normal text that you type within the body of html code.

#6 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:44 PM

i agree, your site is really bad. your work is actually pretty decent, so if i were you i would take all the best parts, chop it up into a reel that is no more than 1:30 to 2:00, make a very, very simply, cleanly designed page (with a light-colored background :) ) that says "click here to view my reel" and show your reel in a popup. all the other stuff is unnecessary and just detracts from your work, which is much better than your site.

#7 Guest_silversurfer_*

Guest_silversurfer_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:06 PM

My apologies...I thought this was a Demo Reel critique site...not Website critique site (I guess I made an error posting in here).

Not to be a smartass back, but "critique" in the professional sense (IMHO) is an evauation of work presented and possible suggestions on how to make it better. I would hope that if you were a teacher and a student offered up work to you for critique, you wouldn't tell them that "your work is really bad" (unless you're a movie critic).

"jasfish" - you offered up some great suggestions and super-professional criticisms - thank you for that. I have been in the process of reworking the open and close, so you hit it right on the nose.

Thanx again for the input :D

#8 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:21 PM

what's up with all the thin skins around here? if you post your work, be prepared to take a beating. if you can't handle that, tough shit.

#9 Guest_igorschmigor_*

Guest_igorschmigor_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:24 PM

Well, Vers was a little harsh but he did offer some constructive criticism. Like "don't use that yellow aliased text on black background" and "keep it clean".

And i did witness teachers telling their students that their work "is real bad" quite a few times at the art school i went to. It hurts but it keeps us striving.

#10 Guest_silversurfer_*

Guest_silversurfer_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:46 PM

jasfish,

Nice montage :D

The only thing I would add is file sizes to the windows to gauge download times. I know my site "is really bad", but I tried to warn people about file size on each of my downloads.

Sermon,

...why so hostile?

#11 Guest_Tread_*

Guest_Tread_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:00 PM

Yo Jo,

You will learn quick, that's how it is around here. People give it to you how it is, cause it goes with the industry. Cut throat. Don't take it personal, but take it with a grain of salt cause these peeps no what ther are talking about. Yeah, Vers said your site was really bad, but he did offer some great suggestions that are right on. He was very constructive. I agree with him. Simplify and make your site a bit more up to date, and you'll be lookin' pretty good. That's what I would say about your work to. It's good, technically, but everything looks a little dated to me. Try to come up on the trends in the industry. Don't copy, but you know, comply a bit to what's hot right now.

we jes tryin' to help...

Ted

#12 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:02 PM

i'm not hostile, it's just that this happens fairly frequently: someone who is not that great posts their work, people tell them it's not that great (sometimes graciously, sometimes not so graciously), and they get pissed off. i just think it's silly- if you wanted a pat on the back, show it to your mom. if you want honest (if sometimes brutally blunt) criticism from people who know their shit, post here and be prepared to deal with people cutting down your work. i know it's tough on the ego but that's the way it goes.

#13 Guest_vers_*

Guest_vers_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:04 PM

joe, you can critique anything. Your website is the medium for presenting your work and you've obviously put a fair amount of time into it because it's full of graphics.

I commented on your broadcast work and said i liked the majority of it. I also gave you some pointers on how to improve your website. Having a fast, nicely layed out site with easy navigation would definately improve the affect you have on your target audience, which is potential clients.

To be honest, i almost couldn't be bothered browsing through your website. It's nowhere near the standard of the work you have inside.

Anyway, as i said before... the only reason i commented on your website is because your original post was misleading.

Take it easy.

#14 Guest_silversurfer_*

Guest_silversurfer_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:42 PM

Ted,

You make a lot of sense. I know about the industry and how cut throat it is....thanx.

Sermon,

"...show it to my Mom"? ...you're just hostile...period.

Paul (vers),

...just browsed your site. Wow...you really have no say in what's bad, my brother...whew. As a 19 year old student (some of who's work is very nice with plenty of potential, by the way), you don't have the chops yet to comment on anybody else's stuff. Spend some time in the Industry and build a reel...then post it here for all to see.

I don't have a thin skin, fellas...I just have common courtesy. I don't want a pat on the back, or a big wet kiss. I wanted to get involved with this forum because I'm not one of those types that likes to hord my ideas and work. I like to network and share ideas and techniques because I want to get better. That's how we grow as an industry. To punk somebody just because they have the balls to post their demo publically is weak and cowardly. Some of you guys are on the money - thanx for your time...the others are just cynics.

"A cynic knows the price of everything...and the value of nothing"

Peace and Good Fortune :D

- Joe

#15 Guest_char siu_*

Guest_char siu_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:12 PM

Paul (vers),

...just browsed your site. Wow...you really have no say in what's bad, my brother...whew. As a 19 year old student (some of who's work is very nice with plenty of potential, by the way), you don't have the chops yet to comment on anybody else's stuff. Spend some time in the Industry and build a reel...then post it here for all to see.

sorry Joe, it's been long established that there isn't any kind of exam or certification anyone needs to take in order to proffer an opinion. for example, Roger Ebert is not an Academy Award-winning director or screenwriter, and yet his opinion on movies is well revered. I think it's kind of silly for anyone (but in this case you) to come to someone else's house, ask to be accepted, and then reject the very input you ask for. frankly, this is the same kind of attitude you've been throwing around the Adobe forums lately that's made it a less-than-welcoming place to be. guess what, Joe, sometimes your shit does in fact stink.

for what it's worth, I think your reel is generally technically nice, the Ford dealership spots are pretty and well executed (might want to put those first in your reel), the countdowns are excessive (they take up fully 1/6 of your reel), and as others have said, your site needs work. it's too busy and symmetrical, and in my own opinion having your face take up a big hunk of room smacks of self-absorbedness. I'd give more critique but you took the url to your site down. my two cents.

#16 Guest_souzou_*

Guest_souzou_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:49 AM

Joe,

I think your editing and animation skills are very good, but I don't think you really understand design. Your web and print work is testament to this, and most of the work on your reel screams "cheese". My suggestion would be to look at some of the other reels on the forum, do some reading, maybe take some classes. An improvement in design skills will definitely improve the overall standard of your work.

Also if you ask for an opinion on a public forum you have to accept you're going to get comments from a variety of people. Just because he's a 19yo student doesn't make his opinion any less valid, and you shouldn't insult him for that - at the end of the day he took the time to go see your stuff and was trying to help you, regardless of whether you liked what he said. You should appreciate that, whether you take his comments on board or not.

#17 Guest_silversurfer_*

Guest_silversurfer_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2004 - 01:18 PM

Wow...very humbling - very embarrassed...fair enough, guys...I apologize for the attitude :(

Some really good input and necessary spankings...I deserve it. Truth hurts, I guess. The truth is...I do appreciate it - and I NEED it. Sometimes I have to visit Mograph to get back to reality...and get inspiration.

It's back to the drawing board with the Demo & website...

Keep up the good work.

- Joe

#18 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2004 - 02:30 PM

like i said, don't worry about the website, just keep it super simple. your reel is strong, so you should accentuate that. no need to worry about all the superfluous stuff, just get us to your reel as quickly as possible, you know?

#19 Guest_silversurfer_*

Guest_silversurfer_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2004 - 02:52 PM

...apologies, dude. I lost my mind for a minute...it's back now.

#20 Guest_igorschmigor_*

Guest_igorschmigor_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2004 - 08:26 PM

but I don't think you really understand design. Your web and print work is testament to this, and most of the work on your reel screams "cheese"

Wow, this is tough. Come on people, a little more diplomacy please. Rumsfeld is not a good rolemodel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users