5 replies to this topic

#1 dmc

dmc

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:23 AM

With promax happening now,
I thought it might be interesting to start a discussion about awards, pros and cons...
How does everyone feel about awards in general?

With entry fees for some of the awards it cuts out alot of the smaller studios,
therefore, do they actually represent the industry...

Anyone have any thoughts?

- d

Edited by dmc, 30 June 2011 - 06:25 AM.

#2 C-FU

C-FU

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

You kind of answered the question. You are basically buying the potential award. If you walk away empty handed. Well... you bought the potential contacts and the networking opportunity. Winning can get you a little exposure and recognition nonetheless.

#3 Duder

Duder

Loser

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:39 AM

Besides the repertoire and self masturbation, you're pretty much buying the award since most of the time you have to pay for submissions for ADC, etc.,etc.

I'm pretty sure it feels good to win an award, but what's the purpose? Just do good work and move on. It is good to get a bit of recognition, though, and looks good on your resume.

#4 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

meh...they seem to be more about politics and money than anything else.

Here's an oldie but a goodie...The Truth in Advertising (the award part is at the end).

I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it. Still makes me laugh.

#5 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:05 AM

If you pay attention for very long, you start to notice that the majority of events that hand out awards tend to do so within the very small clique who happen to be close friends with the owners/organizers of the event. What a coincidence.

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#6 monovich

monovich

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:shiny things, shiny graphics, shiny bikes

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Awards are mostly useless nowadays. In the land before time, awards were probably good for highlighting work that would have otherwise been unseen. Nowadays it seems that any work with any redeeming value or significant level of quality gets circulated and recognized on the internet.

I think certain awards at the very high end of the awards totem pole might be worth winning, but the type that are handed out at a certain conference going on presently are pretty hollow and most everyone knows it. Its a money making scheme based on entry fees and bloated costs for the actual trophy and copies of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users