• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chizmniz

chizmniz

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:38 PM

Yo mograph community. After 3 years of learning AE and 6 months of C4D I bring to you another reel. Let me know if I am progressing.

Thanks All!

Boom

Edited by chizmniz, 10 July 2011 - 08:39 PM.

#2 firemind

firemind

Founder

• Admin
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:22 AM

Nice! The only thing I can critique is the reel starts to lose steam at around 00:50 with the repeats. Don't really need to see the robot and ipad again and the bit with the squares around that mark could be dropped as well.
twitter.com/motion_designer

#3 chizmniz

chizmniz

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thanks firemind for the feedback! I actually second guessed myself and put those pieces in I guess I should have trusted my gut :)

Thanks for checking it out and writing back to me.

#4 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

I think you know you're progressing. :)
You know the difference between your best stuff and the rest of the stuff. That's why you put your roman numerals sequence up front, and you're jump-cutting around some of the less interesting projects. But for the sake of your reel, you may want to consider cutting some of that older stuff even more. There's always this thing that happens when you make a big leap in your design skills, which is that you end up with some really great stuff and a whole backlog of work you're not that proud of anymore, and that mix makes for a reel that doesn't feel cohesive, and generally the old stuff drags down the new. Ideally you just keep working on new stuff until you have enough to pretty much fill a reel, but sometimes you need a reel for work. So what you kind of have to do is figure out how to spotlight the good stuff, and use the other crap as fodder and filler in a way that doesn't detract. And you have to somehow do that without making it look like you're spending too much time on certain projects. In other words, make the reel short, give the gold its spotlight, and cut the rest together in some way that we don't notice that it sucks. It's like taking a bunch of garbage and making an awesome collage out of it. We won't even notice the garbage in the face of the awesome new thing.

#5 chizmniz

chizmniz

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

Thanks binky for the feedback! I am actually right where you stated lol. I feel like I have progressed so much but without all the work to back a full reel to show it off it gets super hard when looking for work. I will however be working on 2 much bigger projects here in the next couple months that will be able to fill that slot so by the end of the year those "holes" should be filled.

Recently I have found it quite difficult to get feedback on most work and I think that is why I said something about progressing. With that being said I am very honored to have you and firemind comment. Just knowing that you guys took the time to watch and then say something (and its positive!) means alot so I thank you both very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users