• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Spunj

Spunj

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

I switched to a Mac Pro after using a PC for motion graphics for years. I was working off an external esata GRAID for my latest project. Everything was going great until this morning I forgot to eject the drive before turning it off and was given the warning. I figured I should plug it back in to ensure nothing was wrong before I took it to another computer. When I plugged it in, it crashed my system I got a message saying I need to turn off the system by holding the power button, then reboot.

So I did that, and now the drive shows as being named "Untitled", and there is nothing on it. It says 2TB free of 2TB. WTF?? I'm not totally freaking out because I regularly backed up my project....but I am really scared to trust this new system. I've never in my 12 years in the business seen this happen (on PC).

Although I just started using the mac for motion graphics, I have been using macs (for editing) since starting in the field - although not as my main computer, so I don't totally know all the ins and outs. Is there anything I can do to fix this and recover the data? Anyone know why this would possibly happen? There was about 50GB of files, and now it reports as absolutely nothing.

#2 Duder

Duder

Loser

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

The data is still there, but you probably need to use a data recovery tool to get your data back. DO NOT plug in the drive anymore until you have software such a Phoenix Stellar running. Use USB 2.0 or FW800 instead of eSATA.

http://www.stellarin...ta-recovery.htm

I never trust eSATA for work, plus on the Mac side it's not "officially" supported. Use FW800 whenever possible, it should be more than enough.

#3 Spunj

Spunj

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:14 PM

The data is still there, but you probably need to use a data recovery tool to get your data back. DO NOT plug in the drive anymore until you have software such a Phoenix Stellar running. Use USB 2.0 or FW800 instead of eSATA.

http://www.stellarin...ta-recovery.htm

I never trust eSATA for work, plus on the Mac side it's not "officially" supported. Use FW800 whenever possible, it should be more than enough.

We use esata with all our raids and stuff for HD editing, so I thought I'd try using a fast drive for aftereffects/premiere. I wasn't aware of any issues regarding esata...but this is a little scary.

How does Disk Warrior compare to Stellar Phoenix. I am finding a lot of mixed reviews about these file recovery softwares.

#4 supaidaaman

supaidaaman

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

I honestly dont understand how anyone can work off an external drive with any type of critical data. I have had data corrupted on multiple esata enclosures as well as using USB. Even people at work with high end drobo units have their shit corrupted occasionally. I never work off external anymore...

I had a 1TB HD mess up on a USB transfer and it looked like 600gb was gone...but i unplugged it, powered down, then ran a disk check for errors (pc) All the data was there in the end.

#5 Spunj

Spunj

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

I honestly dont understand how anyone can work off an external drive with any type of critical data. I have had data corrupted on multiple esata enclosures as well as using USB. Even people at work with high end drobo units have their shit corrupted occasionally. I never work off external anymore...

I had a 1TB HD mess up on a USB transfer and it looked like 600gb was gone...but i unplugged it, powered down, then ran a disk check for errors (pc) All the data was there in the end.

Well for HD editing, there's not much other choice, we have about 6 different RAIDS that are cycled for projects. Each enclosure has 4 drives in it. For really data intensive HD, these enclosures can also be raided together. The type of stuff we do for video just isn't possible using only internal drives. I decided to try out a 2-drive esata hardware RAID for this project I am working on, as it is getting passed around a lot from machine to machine. Each machine has a mirrored RAID inside to back up to as the project progresses, but the work is being done right from the external (which is 75% faster than a single internal drive.) This is just my first time doing this workflow (motion graphics) on a MAC.

Anyway, in all my time using external drives (PC) I have never had one erase itself, and even rename itself to "untitled". It's like the Mac instantly quick formatted the drive when I plugged it back in after disconnecting it without dragging it to the trash.

I'm not panicked, I am very stringent with backing things up, so I lost no work. Just got a little scared and reminded that technology sometimes sucks :).

Also, when we copy files from XDCAM, the software has a CRC Copy option. (Cyclic Redundancy Check) This ensures the data gets copied with no corruption. Is there any way to copy files with the OS using CRC?

#6 Duder

Duder

Loser

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

We use esata with all our raids and stuff for HD editing, so I thought I'd try using a fast drive for aftereffects/premiere. I wasn't aware of any issues regarding esata...but this is a little scary.

How does Disk Warrior compare to Stellar Phoenix. I am finding a lot of mixed reviews about these file recovery softwares.

I've tried many and I like Stellar Phoenix. I once quick formatted my OS drive accidentally (How do you ask? I was sleep deprived, booted off the OS DVD and accidentally formatted the wrong partition. Doh!) but I got all the data back.

Remember that eSATA might work fine with Windows, but it won't with OS X (at least with 100% conviction that it will be stable). Apple does not care about eSATA so you're on your own.

If I ever work off external drives, I use a RAID1 or RAID5. Right now I work off 2x1TB FW800 RAID 1 (self powered), so if one drive dies, I don't lose data. I get around 60-70MB/sec which is more than enough even for HD work. You're working with XDCAM footage and FW800 is more than enough for it. USB 2.0 is slow as hell, but manageable if you work with super compressed footage like DVCPROHD, AVC Intra, XDCAM, ProRes, etc.

Also how are you sharing between PC's and Macs? Are you using some type of driver to recognize NTFS drives under OS X or something? That might be your issue. Always use HFS+ under Macs or FAT32 (4GB size limit, though)

Edited by pix3l, 12 July 2011 - 10:20 PM.

#7 Spunj

Spunj

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

All our 4 Drive Esata RAIDS are RAID 5. So as far as video goes we're backed up. They connect to a 4 port eSata card in the MP. The particular one I was trying out was a 2 drive hardware RAID 0. So no options for redundancy other that self discipline and copying. We need the extra speed because we not only shoot with XDCAM, but we also have a Nanoflash recorder that records up to I think 300mbits/sec. get 2+ streams of that going with a color correction and you need a drive that will keep up. Interesting that Apple doesn't support esata, as these cards and drives are popular in the video editing world for use with FCP.

Anyway, this drive was formatted with HFS+ - as it was only going between macs. I am, however, experimenting with exFAT, which can be used with both mac and windows, and doesn't have the 4GB limit. It seems to be working fine at the moment, although I haven't done a whole lot with it.

#8 mario5

mario5

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

I've used Data Rescue before & it was pretty good at file recovery.
http://www.prosoften...data_rescue.php

#9 the_Monkey

the_Monkey

simian

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

Remember that eSATA might work fine with Windows, but it won't with OS X (at least with 100% conviction that it will be stable). Apple does not care about eSATA so you're on your own.

This is simply untrue.
I've had 4 separate devices* connected to my MacPro via eSATA (RocketRAID card) for the last 3 years without a single issue.

-m

*2 external drives, a 3.5" drive dock and an 8 TB MercuryPro RAID

#10 Duder

Duder

Loser

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:49 AM

This is simply untrue.
I've had 4 separate devices* connected to my MacPro via eSATA (RocketRAID card) for the last 3 years without a single issue.

-m

*2 external drives, a 3.5" drive dock and an 8 TB MercuryPro RAID

You never transfer between computers do you (as in working on a team project with a dozen people)? Then you should be safe.

The ONLY way to connect via eSATA on a Mac is to use a 3rd party PCIe card. Apple does not officially support it.

In the case of the OP, he failed to eject the drive...and he lost his partition (I guarantee this has to do with eSATA as it's not the absolute best protocol for external storage). I've never lost a partition through FW400/800/USB2.0 when I forgot to eject a drive. Reconnecting brings everything back.

So I do not understand how you can say this is simply untrue when in fact the OP "lost" his partition due to not ejecting his drive. There is no way that an OS should delete the partition table even when it is being used. Data might get corrupted, but losing a partition? Sounds like an eSATA issue to me.

Very important to understand what was meant by this comment "at least with 100% conviction that it will be stable."

-p

Edited by pix3l, 14 July 2011 - 05:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users