Re-Cut My Demo Reel

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 thejoshparker

thejoshparker

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hey out there again. I posted my reel for critique a couple of months back and since then I've done a few projects I just had to put in.
Check it out HERE.

Also, I'm planning on moving up to NYC at the end of September, so any news or advice on the job market up there would be appreciated.

Edited by thejoshparker, 30 August 2011 - 09:17 PM.

#2 Tetsouille

Tetsouille

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hi Joshua,

Maybe it's just me, but I have the feeling your cuts are off beats and random, like not sync to the music.
Otherwise, I like your projects Motus.tv and 3D Legos.

#3 thejoshparker

thejoshparker

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look at that this evening.

#4 thejoshparker

thejoshparker

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:21 AM

Ok, I see what you're saying. I was cutting to the beat in some spots and in other spots having the bass or snare hit on a particular movement of the motion. For example, the yellow clip with the glossy line hitting the ground. It cuts to that clip before the snare hit but the snare and line hitting the ground are synced to give that particular motion a bit more "umph".

I'm still on the fence about it though. Anybody else have 2 cents on this?

#5 carlespy

carlespy

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Film, 3d Animation, Traveling, BMX Bikes, and Art in any form.

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

I personally feel as if you should use a different song. The reason the snare and ground sync doesn't work is because the song is too lyric heavy and all it is, is a concentration on the words and the singer.

IMO: Pick a song that the music's presence is there first, and with that you can usually make edits to the songs so the beats or areas of the song you would like to use...are useable.
Since right now it seems as if you are cutting a music video together for a song that only appeared on top 40 radio stations.
You need the song to help the flow with its heavier volume on the tunes and less on the lyrics (restated)

Apologies if this is found to be harsh, I just think that your work is better and more edgy than an R&B one hit wonder.

#6 thejoshparker

thejoshparker

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

No offense taken. You guys are probably right. Ill dig around and see what I can find that'll fit better. Thanks guys.

#7 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:27 AM

I don't think you necessarily have to find a different track, I think you just have to pay attention to what's going on in the track you have. There are lots of aspects to think about in a song, but one you might want to take note of is the drama generated at different moments. Like, the way you're cutting at the beginning has your intro and 3 shots come on before the song's intro is over, and when that first minor chorus kicks in at :08 you're just sitting on some goldfish swimming around. That basic disconnect between the energy of the song and the energy of the visuals makes the relationship between them almost non-existent. The relationship that you create between them can be anything you want, but there has to be one. Otherwise, it feels arbitrary and slapped together.

That said, you CAN probably find a track that you can sort of own, y'know? Top 40 stuff is difficult to work with because most people have already heard it a shit ton of times and have their own associations to the music, so when you pair it with your work, well now your work is mixing with all of the associations and references that each listener/viewer has. Much better to find something you like that doesn't overshadow your work and doesn't remind anyone of a failed drunken makeout session at the club, or driving through bakersfield to go camping, or whatever.

#8 thejoshparker

thejoshparker

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:09 AM

I guess there's no excuse but I actually didn't know that song was that popular...haha...oops...Well, I found a different track with a steady beat and vocals that blend in the music and re-timed the cuts to match up a bit better.

If you get a minute, Check it out again.

And thanks again guys. You've been a big help.

#9 carlespy

carlespy

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Film, 3d Animation, Traveling, BMX Bikes, and Art in any form.

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

A much better song I think...I could tell the reason for the cuts, some just seemed a tad off of the beat. Which is just a retiming of your animation some.

Other then that, I think that the last two(?) pieces should be flipped. Just the "Get Rates" phone and the "Get Rates" Website.
However that may screw up the timing some, so sorry ahead of time if it doesn't work, I just feel as if the phone one is stronger than the website, and you want to leave whomever with a bang.

The one last thing is that at about 35 seconds, you should have the music either faded out or starting to fade. It just seems like the track lingers to long at the end with your name.

After all that I say great work and have some champagne. Well after your first gig of course!

Good Luck Josh!

#10 thejoshparker

thejoshparker

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:13 AM

I took your advice on flipping the last two clips and letting the music hold out for a few more seconds. I also tweaked some of the edits a little bit, but I did notice I was exporting at the wrong frame rate, which may have been throwing stuff off a bit more...

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it at the moment. Since I'm saving the champagne for landing a gig, maybe some box wine is in order for now.

#11 carlespy

carlespy

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

Hey it looks good. But on second thought before the celebrating with the boxed wine...I think I was wrong on holding the music longer.
Maybe even shorter than the original...But I really like how it is with the last two pieces swapped, and the edit to me seems solid with the tunes.

Good Job!

#12 thejoshparker

thejoshparker

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:30 AM

haha i was just thinking if i had to upload that damn thing one more time I'd go ahead and pay for the vimeo pro account to avoid the 30 minute wait before they convert it to be viewable...oh well...

#13 carlespy

carlespy

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

haha i was just thinking if i had to upload that damn thing one more time I'd go ahead and pay for the vimeo pro account to avoid the 30 minute wait before they convert it to be viewable...oh well...

Apologies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users