38 replies to this topic

#1 C.Smith

C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,929 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

After being part of this forum for almost 9 years I've met a lot of the guys here in person. Some of them I would consider some of the most compelling people I've ever met. Seems like yesterday I PM'd Monkey in '05 to ask about some things he did and now we're like a long-distance old married couple - bickering about everything while being really happy to be friends. And I will say that people either love Nick Cambell or love to resent what he does, but I will say he is sincerely one of the nicest, hard-working, generous, and smart dudes I've ever met and if you ever have a problem with that than maybe it's time to check one-self. I just returned from NAB where I was a guest of Maxon along with a good handful of other artists or enthusiasts. I have to say, as I meet new mograph.netters, I'm really blown away with what great, creative people they all seem to be. We may have in the past (back when this board was cool and fun) have had all of our crazy dialogs and discussions, but I think we're all united in that we love creativity and the science behind it. So reach high up in the air, bend your elbow and pat yourself on the back, because I think we're all a pretty good pack of people. IMO.

Binky's next on the list.
chris smith :: some of my work

#2 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

When I first visited this site I saw a thread about what people do with their time when waiting for long renders to finish. The consensus seemed to be 'get stoned and masturbate'. Now I don't think that's what people actually did but I did think "I've found my new online design hangout". Before here I used to go to CGTALK. It's a great site but a bit too straight-laced for my tastes.

I think people who hate on Campbell and Kramer are lacking confidence in their own abilities. The amount I worry about some kid who's done a few online tutorials taking my works peaks at exactly zero.

#3 _gl

_gl

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

First of all, I am so excited by what you presented with AutoCam. I look forward to seeing Nick put it up with Gotham type treatment so I can add it to my toolset. Great work!

I really appreciated the community aspect I was seeing at NAB. I work in several different circles in my work (editors, mograph and production) and I just love how open and welcoming everyone was at the Maxon booth. It was a breath of fresh air.

-gl

#4 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

Thanks! You were there? Did we meet and I didn't get that you were _gl?

#5 _gl

_gl

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

I came up after and said thanks and shook your hand but, didn't introduce myself. You were surrounded by adoring fans.

-gl

#6 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

I came up after and said thanks and shook your hand but, didn't introduce myself. You were surrounded by adoring fans.

-gl

Ha! Well, damn. Next year introduce yourself. Then you could roll with the crew and gamble and drink all night :)

#7 jaypeeare

jaypeeare

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

Hey Chris! Love this post & your presentation at NAB. The AutoCam is really something I must say.

As a young mograph artist & having people such as Nick, Mike & yourself, it's been quite helpfuling with all the tutorials, tools, & most
importantly the "talks" about how the industry work with everyday is full of problems in your workflow & it's up to you to come up
with creative solution. With that said I must say thank you.

#8 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

Thanks Jay, very nice of you to say. Yeah, Mike and Nick have been beasts about leading and setting great examples. Well with work. Not with restraining from primate themed monikers :D

Glad you like AutoCam, now I gotta finish this thing and get it out there ;)

#9 Mylenium

Mylenium

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:cycling, music, Sci-Fi

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

I will say he is sincerely one of the nicest, hard-working, generous, and smart dudes I've ever met

I never thought anything else. We all have this problem where our internet persona either intentionally or through misunderstandings and mistuned cultural sensors may be largely non-congruent with our realworld personality and even I like to think that he's an easy going fun guy once you meet him. It's just that like so many people I think his GSG stuff comes off as aiming for the quick buck rather than being truly original...

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]
----------------------------------------------
www.myleniumblog.com

#10 _gl

_gl

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

I will definitely hit you up next year. I loved being at the show and plan to make it a yearly tradition. So much energy there.

-gl

#11 pixel_pimp

pixel_pimp

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

I haven't been a part of this board very often over the last few year. To busy working I guess.

GSG or Andrew will come up at work and people hate on the guys. But then I see that same person using Light Kit and City Kit? It's like hating a math teacher for teaching someone math? Does anyone hate Chris and Trish Meyer for writing the Creating Motion Graphics book? Is it because these guys make videos with themselves in it? People say they are ruining the industry and all this stuff. Out-Sourcing is ruining the industry! You know. One day it will come to Motion Graphics.

I talked to this guy from the middle-east about people doing mograph work in the middle-east. I asked him did these guys go to art school in Europe or America. He is the work:

http://www.behance.n...s-7spro/1643106

He was like no, they just watched Video Co-Pilot and consider Andrew the Tom Cruise of motion graphics. I thought that was really cool. You don't have to become a debtor and go to art-school to do this. I didn't go to art-school and I am making a living. Mark Twain once said "don't let school get in the way of your education." I think they are both awesome and I will watch their videos, fuck it.

I think the ideas of Seth Godin and others are interesting and can he seen in what Nick is doing.

Beside everyone gets burnt out working ion mograph after like 5 or 10 years anyway so it's all whatever.

Edited by pixel_pimp, 20 April 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#12 vozzz

vozzz

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

cheers to all this :D

But damn it i want to be back in the STATES!!!!

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#13 Mousel

Mousel

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

Great post, Chris. I saw your presentation at NAB and, of course, loved it. Apologies for not saying 'hello', I had to book it as soon as you wrapped. Maybe I'll run into your next year or, if you're attending, at Siggraph.

Off-topic side note: If your cam dept. ever needs a good 1st AC I'd be thrilled to lend a hand.

Cheers,
Eric

#14 rovino

rovino

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:bears, beets, battlestar gallactica

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

Well said.

I've gone to NAB since the late 90's and every year was fun, but I never felt the sense of community as I did at the Maxon booth this year. (let me be clear on this.. Maxon booth could always be this way.. but this was the first-time I actually hung out for more than just a presentation. And thats where I saw the sense of community.. all the presenters watching and supporting one another. everyone answering questions. very neat.)

I missed last years NAB and felt bummed. This time I made an effort to meet all the people Ive been watching and learning from over the past 2 yrs. Everyone of you, new and old (within my realm of meeting them) were awsome, open, and genuinely nice people.

AutoCam was great, cept for that :hold: issue 8D

Dude, Chris conveys a sense of energy and "crazy-eyes" when he speaks.. its Awsome.. I was like "What the Hell is this guy going to do next?"

(srsly I mean that In a good way.. unless you know the eye thing is a medical condition then.. my bad.)

And as for Mr NickVegas.. Hes nicer than on his videos, he takes time to answer everyones questions and shakes everyones hands.. even if hes partied like a monster the night before (Im totally guessing on that last part.)

Can't wait to do it all again next year.
@rovino

Edited by rovino, 21 April 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#15 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:21 AM

Ha! Crazy eyes. I just guzzled 2 Red Bulls in a row then went on, then I do this thing where people say it looks like I'm hard-staring at prey ready to take my kill.

I should have shown the cams hold as they can as long as you copy a waypoint. I will seriously consider simply adding a hold system built into each waypoint. My only reluctance is then I have to re-write my custom data structures that calculate all the waypoints to accomodate a hold concept. But I think it's needed though so I'll put it on the list. Good job, you just delayed the release for every body :P

@Mousel Thanks for that, hopefully I'll see you at Siggraph assuming I can make it this year. Last year Maxon had all my flights booked and I had to cancel at the last minute for a job. I didn't know you're an AC. I'll keep that in mind for sure. I can let my fave DPs know as I'm never the one that picks ACs. I just care who the AD and DP is on the job and let them hire down the line.

#16 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

On another related to this thread note: Me and Binky had lunch today. First meeting ever. He definitely lives up to his title as the wise sage of mograph. I thought we would hang out for 45 minutes. We were talking for 3 hours until my wife called and reminded me I have to be at my son's school. So add Binky as another extraordinarily amazing person to the list. But I'm biased because I felt we were kind of mental doppelgängers except he's much better with words :) but not physical doppelgänger as I'm 5'9" and he's 9 ft.

#17 rovino

rovino

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:bears, beets, battlestar gallactica

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

But I think it's needed though so I'll put it on the list. Good job, you just delayed the release for every body :P

well played sir.. I take back every nice thing I ever said about you. (rat-turds! umm, youre welcome everyone? :D )

Edited by rovino, 21 April 2012 - 03:24 AM.

#18 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

Dear Diary,
Today I had lunch with C.Smith. He's sooooooo dreamy! We had lemonade and talked for hours! The perfect gentleman. He wears a hat and bitches about software sooooooo good. I bet he rides a horse. OMG I think I like-like him. Is he the one?!!
Thanks for listening, diary. You're the best!
Binky

#19 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

That was truly awesome.

Dear Diary,
Today I had lunch with C.Smith. He's sooooooo dreamy! We had lemonade and talked for hours! The perfect gentleman. He wears a hat and bitches about software sooooooo good. I bet he rides a horse. OMG I think I like-like him. Is he the one?!!
Thanks for listening, diary. You're the best!
Binky

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#20 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

"kind of people.."

Posted Image

Edited by oeuf, 23 April 2012 - 04:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users