This is my first post on Mograph. My name is Heerko Groefsema and I live in the Netherlands. I hope I will have a great time here, and will learn a lot.
Ok I'm kicking off right away with a complex question (at least that's what I think)
I'm thinking of buying a new system, and I of course checked out a mac first. I never owned a mac but worked on them during my internship at Talpa (tv station in the Netherlands). But damn a mac is so damn expensive!
So I wondered is a mac really better than PC? Before this thread turns into PC vs Mac war... What I want to know is, what hardware specs are the best for motion graphic? And than try to assemble a PC which can compete with a mac.
1) Do software like Cinema 4D, AE and Photoshop support (take advantage of) 8-core or quad core?
2) The same for memory, what amount of internal memory would be best?
3) What is a good graphics card for motion graphic design? Should I pick one from this list? http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/opengl.html and which is the best buy on that page? And what about SLI? Does the software (Cinema, AE, PS) support that?
4) For a HDD a 7200 RPM S-ATA is the best I assume? Although I have seen 10.000 rpm's ever heard of those? Is one HDD better or multiple? Like a 10.000 rpm for scratch disk, and a 7200 rpm for software and storage?
5) What about 64 bit OS? I saw that cinema supports 64 bit and after effects doesn't. What would you recommend?