Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Aestheticom

Hello.

Ive seen some incredible work up on this site, I only came accross this website lately and wish I had a long time before.

Anyway I thought I would post our little reel and site as well. I am especially proud of the theme music we had an artist pen (program?) for us for our little reel which auto launches when you visit the site. I have a dream one day to fill the NY planeterium with friends family clients general joes and janes so i can play the reel real big and just as importantly crank that music up. Wash rinse and repeat.... I think that would be neat, especially once the chairs started shaking. Tom Hanks narratting the 'endless travels' or whatever its called piece there is fun, but Id like to see our reel there as well..... hey how about all our reels? Like a 'reel deal' event once a year? Oh behave....

You might also note we added a job listing here the other day.... we are refreshing our aesthetic direction.... Ive already gotten some really great replies, I love it.... we are a very small shop, but that never inhibits our goals, aspirations or where we want to be/will get... if you have something nice to say do email me at bill@aestheti.com if you like. Well do have a nice day.

www.aestheti.com

Bill

yea, it's pretty small, and the compression is really bad

also, it seemed like an piece to promo your company, not really a reel of your work (too much of your logo).

as far as the job you had posted - is $34,000 in New York City what a good AE/FCP person can expect to get paid? I thought it would be much higher than that (I couldn't afford to live in Minneapolis for that amount)

I guess I won't moving to New York if that's the case

Edited by mikeh64

was that reel cut in 1996?

i think it was actually 2016, and they plopped back in time to see what trends are happening now, because in twenty years that shit will be hot, but in 30 theyre f'd.

Rother, you seem to have a pretty good grip on time travel thing, maybe you'll get a kick out of the video we just did which features, yes, er, vikings....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFq2YJKYa-k

my favorite quote on you tube: beer tankards? check. spinning heads? check. throwing tables around? check (and so on). Well maybe its not your cup of mead, but give it a second you might get a kick out of it... I do admit the 'reel' should be larger, but since we posted it there to give people something to watch while the site loaded, didnt want to overdo it. But yeah its way to tiny, we should, update it and include a link to a bigger version....

Bill

Edited by Bill

yea, it's pretty small, and the compression is really bad

also, it seemed like an piece to promo your company, not really a reel of your work (too much of your logo).

as far as the job you had posted - is $34,000 in New York City what a good AE/FCP person can expect to get paid? I thought it would be much higher than that (I couldn't afford to live in Minneapolis for that amount)

I guess I won't moving to New York if that's the case

thats the same salary they were offering in 1999 when I worked there. business must be good...

Edited by aspekt

thats the same salary they were offering in 1999 when I worked there. business must be good...

I was shocked when I saw that salary posted in the jobs forum, but I didn't think it would be good to say anything over there.

seriously, 34k for a top designer? Um.... triple that.

Guest Sao_bento

I was shocked when I saw that salary posted in the jobs forum, but I didn't think it would be good to say anything over there.

seriously, 34k for a top designer? Um.... triple that.

Just to clarify - a bunch of people did comment in the Jobs forum, and those posts were deleted. Firemind feels it's in our best interest for Mograph to be receptive to companies that might not be completely "in the loop" by not criticizing the postings in the Jobs forum. When a company like Nike (who has posted jobs here) looks at the other posts in the jobs category and sees nothing but a bunch of smart-assery and criticism, they'll be less likely to post here which is bad for all of us. That being said, there's no rule against criticizing job posters or their postings in the other discussion areas (like this one).

Aspekt,

You worked for us in 1999? Thats when we started, we had one creative, two interns, for a grand total of two full timers and two interns. I dont recall anyone at with us at any other salary in 1999. I did bump an intern up in early 2000 to an entry level salary, maybe thats you, Mike (if so hello there). I still thank the fact that I began my carrer as an intern and was bumped to entry level to this day, back when. You could say my first boss offered me a bum deal, I say he gave me an opportunity.

As for the position open, obviously its not right for everyone. It is clearly right for the people who sent in their resumes. I am excited about the people who see an opportunity here. Trust me they can take that ball and run with it.

As for the people like yourself who require more than what this position offers, if you have any interest in the work we do, why not email me directly in regards to freelance? Maybe your work is pretty good and we would meet your freelance rate standards. A few have emailed me to that effect already and tne project is already close to being approved on this basis (we're hoping the client likes the solution as much as we do). I would actually look forward to posting the results if so, but, considering the spirit of some of these posts, will probably just leave well enough alone, I was hoping the level of intelligence here would be higher than what it is, in some cases.

Sincerely,

Bill

I applaud your willingness to continue to post here - it can be a famously crabby place, but it doesn't mean people aren't smart, or there is nothing of value here. Just try to suffer the tone, and hang in (as you have). For some reason people are just very harsh here - but if you think about it, so is the world.

Would you rather people were just falsely positive about your reel and job opening, only to find that the client felt differently? Might as well hear the harsh crits up front, so you can do something about it.

As far as the salary of your job goes - this is YOUR industry, and you are degrading it. The harder you work to set the bar at 34K for a talented designer in New York, the lower wage everyone will think they can pay, and talented people will find other lines of work, and the overall quality of work out there will suffer. If you think that is all you can afford to pay, then you aren't charging your clients enough, or are too invested in taking home all the money for yourself.

Just becuase you find people who are willing to work for that low rate, doesn't mean it is a good thing for YOUR business.

just my 2 cents

Hi Bill,

I was one of the interns you mentioned. I worked for free, 2 days a week for 3 months, till you agreed to pay me $30 a day, on my last week. You never even covered my lunch or subway fare. I was horrible back then, agreed. However the fact is, I was churning out this garbage (under your partners creative direction) and you had clients paying you for it. At the end of the day you stiffed me on the only week you were actually going to pay me. I was working 2 jobs to put myself through school and you stiffed me $60! Then on top of that you gave me the run around, for Fucking $60. I never got it, I couldnt even afford the train ride to keep coming to harass you for it.

So I'm glad to see you getting bashed by the new kids who are smarter than I was.

YOU SUCK!

Guest Sao_bento

Hi Bill,

I was one of the interns you mentioned. I worked for free, 2 days a week for 3 months, till you agreed to pay me $30 a day, on my last week. You never even covered my lunch or subway fare. I was horrible back then, agreed. However the fact is, I was churning out this garbage (under your partners creative direction) and you had clients paying you for it. At the end of the day you stiffed me on the only week you were actually going to pay me. I was working 2 jobs to put myself through school and you stiffed me $60! Then on top of that you gave me the run around, for Fucking $60. I never got it, I couldnt even afford the train ride to keep coming to harass you for it.

So I'm glad to see you getting bashed by the new kids who are smarter than I was.

YOU SUCK!

Regarding internships, At my video production internship, I worked 20+ hours a week for a year and a half (for $0) while working at a video rental store to pay the bills. I was quite thankful for the opportunity, and have no doubts that if it were not for that experience, I wouldn't be working in this industry today. This is a competitive industry, and in the long run, those who are successful will be the ones who wanted it more.

I didn't get exploited and dicked around until I was working for money (maybe I was a late bloomer) - Never work for any company owned by a radio DJ.

I did bump an intern up in early 2000 to an entry level salary, maybe thats you, Mike (if so hello there).

Hey, just decided to chime in finally, i've been enjoying watching the flames spread. To clarify, i was never an intern for you, I was the first associate designer you hired to be staff.

To be fair, intially, things were off to a good start, however management seemed to be to distracted by the ongoing dot.com boom. I found it very unusual to prioritize the creation of a streaming video website, over paying client projects which I also had to do. At the time, there were only 2 creatives there to handle all of the projects, diverting from paying work for a pipedream really was a complete mismanagement of resources and talent.

So i resigned, and went to art direct at a proper dotcom, and 7 years later, i'm still art directing (in event production) and the creatives which i used to work with at aesthicom, now freelance for me. I'm thinking about going back to freelance, cause i feel i still have alot to learn, i have some work up @ vrlabz.com, let me know if i suck and should stop making stuff.

My whole point is, you should be more realisitc about the kind of people you'll get in nyc for $34k, that's a little higher than usual entry level for design, but don't expect any sort of designer with talent and experience to take that. This being said, i do not feel that aesticom was not a useful stepping stone in my career, although that was mainly in part because of how much i had learned there from the now departed CTO.

agreed I def. learned alot from Brent. and it was a fun office for a time. and I def. wouldn't be where I am today without the bulk of the knowledge I took from working there. A stepping stone is what it is.

Hi Bill,

YOU SUCK!

....I suck.... well I suppose not only your talent has improved, your tone and command of the english language has as well. Send me an invoice for $60 and it will be paid whether you are right or wrong, I've overseen every paid bill in 6 years and know none are outstanding, even if in some cases yes the amount of time it took to pay was too long. The $60 is worth knowing which intern it was we gave a chance to learn, develop their reel, work on some interesting projects and come back years later with a tone like this. Just want to mark down who you are (not like you've posted your name--Mike??). For the record, why would you need to take a train to collect the money? You can email me.

....I suck.... well I suppose not only your talent has improved, your tone and command of the english language has as well. Send me an invoice for $60 and it will be paid whether you are right or wrong, I've overseen every paid bill in 6 years and know none are outstanding, even if in some cases yes the amount of time it took to pay was too long. The $60 is worth knowing which intern it was we gave a chance to learn, develop their reel, work on some interesting projects and come back years later with a tone like this. Just want to mark down who you are (not like you've posted your name--Mike??). For the record, why would you need to take a train to collect the money? You can email me.

Actually my wife reminded me it was $15 a day and you owed me $30. As for giving me some magical opportunity, get over yourself. You used me as unpaid labor and the only thing I gained fom the experience is animosity.

I didn't need to be such an a-hole in my last post. I'm just sick of people like you coming into forums like this to take advantage of peoples enthusiasm. Fronting like you are giving people the big break they need, when in fact all your doing is contributing to the decay of our industries ethics.