Sign in to follow this  
graymachine

If your computer died right now

Stemming from the discussion about exernal hard drives, I was thinking.... Once I got my FireLite drive and installed Backup Express (as cheap as it is), I've been feeling really cozy about my work as it archives everything once a day. Before that, I didn't back anything up on a routine basis, and I am starting so see how dangerous that was.

So, I am just curious, how many of you REALLY make regular backup a part of your daily routine?

Edited by graymachine

i've been working on a bmx video for quite a while now, i back it up every week. but as far as my itunes folder goes... man that wouuld suck. i'm going to back it up today when i get home. my girl's laptop shit the bed a whlie back and we lost a lot of photos but i got a lot of them back.

i've been working on a bmx video for quite a while now, i back it up every week. but as far as my itunes folder goes... man that wouuld suck. i'm going to back it up today when i get home. my girl's laptop shit the bed a whlie back and we lost a lot of photos but i got a lot of them back.

HA HA HA (well, ha ha hell its not really funny) I made a Flatland video "Deuce" about 2 years ago and lost the about 25% of it, twice! it sucked. i had it on an external drive and it just shitted out one evening, i almost threw up i was so sick. then i started backing it up to DVD got a new drive, got lazy and didnt back up for about a week and lots another 25%, strangly it was easyer loseing i the 2nd time.. kinda like i did it to myself.

I'd rather lose all my mp3's than a week of work.

I pretty much keep a mirror of my "in progress" drive on another drive.

Same with my "archives" which I also do a hash of(SFV) and then RAR(max compression with recovery info) compress them.

As for music, I dont keep it all backed up since that would take up a lot of time and space.

all essential stuff backed up on DVDs.

might lose some music

but i have most of my stuff on external drives anyways

but beware of the firelite.

i had mine for a week before it bummed out on me. year later found out

it was just the case though

I lost literally EVERYTHING I had ever made digitally earlier this year when I...um... wiped the wrong drive. I was so devastated, I wasn't even sad. I was numb.I could have literally ruined my career, though because I had nothing left to show for myself.

luckily, two days later I bought a program that sniffed the drive and found 99% of it for me.

after that I bought a backup right away. It mirrors all my drives once a night. I feel cozy now too.

Edited by monovich

more importantly, what's your preferred method of backup?

Retrospect? manually?

We just started using a program called Synchronize Pro! X on just our current work. It does a nightly differential so it's not taking forever to copy shit... I also have all my other user stuff (itunes/iphoto, etc.) backed up manually.

At home I have mirrored external drives that I manually back up monthly. But I'm not doing much work from home lately. So it's not a big deal.

Edited by Firebetty

Guest Sao_bento

We just started using a program called Synchronize Pro! X on just our current work. It does a nightly differential so it's not taking forever to copy shit... I also have all my other user stuff (itunes/iphoto, etc.) backed up manually.

At home I have mirrored external drives that I manually back up monthly. But I'm not doing much work from home lately. So it's not a big deal.

The only thing about that software is that their license is time-based, meaning they expect you to pay a certain amount every year, wether there is an upgrade or not. I make it a point not to do business with companies who use that approach.

anyone tried taking a problematic external hard drive out of the enclosure and trying it in another enclosure?

it's supposed to work fine with no data loss, right? anyone have experience trying this?

anyone tried taking a problematic external hard drive out of the enclosure and trying it in another enclosure?

it's supposed to work fine with no data loss, right? anyone have experience trying this?

yeah. happens a lot. a lot of power supplies go, as well the controller chips, when the raw drive itself is perfectly fine.

I've had my laptop drive totally die, but I had a backup using Super Duper, which clones your entire HD to a external (installed progs and all) so you simply have to restore. So I just lost a week w/ the actual laptop being serviced and no work or files.

I run Super Duper twice a week. And Cocktail once a day. Everything is scheduled so it runs behind the scenes. I think thats kind of what Time Machine is supposed to do when Leopard comes out. Most I'd ever lose is a few days of work.

Yeah , I lost an AE project for a DVD menu couple months ago that made me feel like vomiting. After hours of thinking of ways to beat myself up, luckily I remembered that I made a back to DVD-r.

So now, I can't wait for Time Machine for Mac OSX Leopard. It will make backups easier and easier to get back stuff you thought you didn't need. For now Deja Vu works well.

At home I have a server full o' drives in the laundry room that I stuff files on every now and then...typically I do that immediately after I wrap up any significant work or when I come home from a photography session (nearly daily). I have a 300GB Firewire external drive in my fire safe that I pull out for backups once a month, sometimes either two weeks.

At work, I make daily DVD-R backups of my project files, and our videotape library is kept in a quite enormous fire safe. Even if my computer disappeared entirely, we could overnight in another Mac with software, and I would only have to batch capture my footage, re-render certain elements, and pick up where I left off.

Cf

raid 5 + external 400 gig with automated batch file that copies new / updated files to it 3 times a week and then dvd archive backups of completed projects.

Lost a months worth of project before. Never making that mistake again. <_<

computers are the devil.

My 2 internal 500's are cloned, so (in theory), if one of them dies, the other is still intact. As far as working files, it's all on XServe, and backed up by Exabyte tape backups whenever I remember to run it.

Guest Sao_bento

bought a external and backed up this weekend.

Me too - mostly as the result of this thread and 300GB firewire drives for $149 at Costco.