Sign in to follow this  
graymachine

If your computer died right now

haha, that's backing up for the sake of backing up. I know the feeling, at 149, you just bought yourself some extra night's rest.

When i upgraded to 2 x 320's, the first thing i thought was "i got you backed up mothefucker."

The only thing about that software is that their license is time-based, meaning they expect you to pay a certain amount every year, wether there is an upgrade or not. I make it a point not to do business with companies who use that approach.

As an alternate to Synchronize Pro X, I use ChronoSync, which I find to be pretty awesome.

Tell me about backups! I lost all my stuff once, now it won't get me, I bought HD and a Hard Drive Enclosures so i can easily switch disks. Managing the backups.

very easy!

Edited by Self_90

Sorry for the geeky post, but I just found a good backup app for windows after sifting through a zillion bad ones. It's called SyncBack. It features all sorts of different backup / syncing profiles, and built-in scheduling.

If your computer died right now, ... how much would you lose?

dear lord i don't want to even consider that. i'm not sure how i could recover from a total system failure.

currently my data is on raid 0/1 (can survive 2 disk deaths before being non-recoverable), is archived to a server with a raid 1 volume+hot spare, and then the server is backed up to a fibre attached raid5 volume each week.

I have my projects on a RAID 1, although thats not good enough cause I'm behind on my backups.

Hopefully someone will keep this thread alive, so that when I see it tomorrow, I'll move back up. :D

Sorry for the geeky post, but I just found a good backup app for windows after sifting through a zillion bad ones. It's called SyncBack. It features all sorts of different backup / syncing profiles, and built-in scheduling.

Have you come across any that are free? Although 30 bucks isnt bad.

Does SyncBack use proprietary compression? Or is it open like Rar or Zip?

I second SyncBack. Excellent app!

Great price and license flexibility.

Have you come across any that are free? Although 30 bucks isnt bad.

Does SyncBack use proprietary compression? Or is it open like Rar or Zip?

If you scroll down, there is a freeware version. Here's a direct link to the program. That is what I'm using and it works very well. It compares new/updated files with already copied files, so you're not copying your entire projects folder every time. No special compression is used. There is an opition to .zip your files, but I just copy them straight up.

Ok guys, i dont know if here is the best place to continue questions about the best backup system... But, i'm so worry about this, in conincidence i had found this thread.

What is the most confiable method of backup... im not a big company, i have my small studio, so, cheap soluctions will be the best :)

DVD Backups is so weak, and slow access.

HD on firewire external boxes? Is the best option? What is the most confiable brands of Hard Drives or external boxes?

I went with western digital "my book" drives. They look nice, and you can get them in Raid 1 (two mirrored drives) for uber-backup safety. I think a good rule of thumb is that as long as it's in two places, you're pretty safe. You'd have to be extremely unlucky for two drives to crap out at the same time, though Frizzle could probably pull it off. (Maybe he has already).

I went with western digital "my book" drives. They look nice, and you can get them in Raid 1 (two mirrored drives) for uber-backup safety. I think a good rule of thumb is that as long as it's in two places, you're pretty safe. You'd have to be extremely unlucky for two drives to crap out at the same time, though Frizzle could probably pull it off. (Maybe he has already).

I had a lengthy response typed out, but my disk drive died and I lost the message.

Guest Sao_Bento
I had a lengthy response typed out, but my disk drive died and I lost the message.

What about the backup?

Funny, I bought one of these My Book drives at the Apple store this weekend, and it was nothing but problems. I kept getting "Some of the data could not be read or written. Error -50". After numerous reformats, I returned it and they didn't even have any more in stock and recommended Lacie, which I was trying to avoid.

Guest Sao_Bento
Funny, I bought one of these My Book drives at the Apple store this weekend, and it was nothing but problems. I kept getting "Some of the data could not be read or written. Error -50". After numerous reformats, I returned it and they didn't even have any more in stock and recommended Lacie, which I was trying to avoid.

If you're on Mac OS X, you always have to reformat any of those drives, even though they mount OK. Once you format them, they'll be fine.

Yeah same problem here. They come pre-formatted with the FAT32 file system, which doesn't support files bigger than 4GB. For windows, I had to reformat to NTFS. No biggie. The OSX equivalent is called HFS Plus.

I think they default to FAT32 it because it's the most universal, but it's pretty weak.

Oh trust me, I reformatted the hell out of it. You are right, it did default to FAT32, which OSX only sees 128GB of.. which is obviously a total waste. I reformatted to HFS+ right out of the box, started copying my music collection, and then immediately started getting errors. After a couple hours of use, the drive become unreadable and had to be reformatted again.

I suppose there's always going to be a lemon in any line of products. So far, the Lacie's been good, though.

has anyone tried any of the new Lacie external RAID drives?

I have no personal experience with that particular drive, but one thing to keep in mind is that you can't come anywhere near the throughput capability of that eSATAII interface with only two drives. If you're just looking for security you might be able to save some money buy getting something similar without the eSATAII interface.

I have no personal experience with that particular drive, but one thing to keep in mind is that you can't come anywhere near the throughput capability of that eSATAII interface with only two drives. If you're just looking for security you might be able to save some money buy getting something similar without the eSATAII interface.

yeh, its something to consider. cheers

i use a windows software called allway sync, to backup my soundlibrary, easy to use and so far it has worked great for me.

The free version says it is limited in the amount of files allowed for syncing, but somehow it worked, allthough i have more than 20000 files.

http://allwaysync.com/

Edited by davidkamp