Sign in to follow this  
jetle25

Wii vs PS3

Boo on both!

PS3 is frickin' expensive.

Wii is expensive for a slightly more efficient Gamecube with a motion controller.

I'll hold out until the XBox 360 drops in price (maybe next year around Halo 3 time?)

Oh, and the Wii does look fun, but I'll wait a year or two when it's dirt cheap.

Edited by hiphopcr

Guest Sao_bento

the ps3 is cheap when you consider it comes with a blue ray player which are going for 1000 right now

How much is the root kit?

the ps3 is cheap when you consider it comes with a blue ray player which are going for 1000 right now

That's true if you want a Blu Ray player and you have a big HD tv with Blu-Ray DVDs. But if you just want to play video games it's expensive. I like that at least Microsoft makes it an add-on so you can choose if you want to pay for an HD-DVD player.

PS3 is $600, the basic version is $500. I'm not sure what the difference is, except that the lower-end version comes with a 20 GB harddrive instead of 60 GB, but they both play Blu-Ray out of the box.

the ps3 is supposed to be quite - which is a huge plus. And, no need for third party solutions so it doesn't start itself on fire (see xbox360). Although...it doesn't seem like you should pay extra for that.

I got a chance to play the PS3 at Target today on my lunch break. The HD graphics look really nice. I played some off-road derby type game. It felt very slow paced for a racing game. The kiosk has a massive 32"ish HD screen that is a bit too close to your face when your holding the attached controller. After playing it I'm not about to rush out and buy one. Not that that matters cause I guess its going to be sold out immediately everywhere until next year anyway.

Edited by jeickholt

PS3.

I've owned a PS2 for a long time. I have a lot of PS2 games... not that I'll *want* to play them after I get PS3 games, but I'd like the option. I'm also curious about the Blu-Ray. I don't mind paying big money for big product especially if it's a business expense. ;)

-m

for those of you with XBOX360's or planning on getting a 360 but worried about the lack of HD movie playback, check out this link:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061107-8163.html

Seems that Microsoft is opening up an online HD movie store. Opens November 22, I'm excited to try it out.

Down with BluRay and HD DVD (and my job along with them)!

Edited by Fred Camino

Guest spence

I'm gunna grab the wii.

Cool controllers, some good looking games, plus I missed out on alot of game cube games because i hate the controller (the wii duel analog controller looks like it will be much better)

I'm jonsin' for the ps3.

BUT, I was saddened to learn that it will run on HDMI 1.3, and may not be backwards compatible,

and that everyone who has an HDTV right now is out of date, since 1.3 will be twice the quality.

whaaaah*

I'm jonsin' for the ps3.

BUT, I was saddened to learn that it will run on HDMI 1.3, and may not be backwards compatible,

and that everyone who has an HDTV right now is out of date, since 1.3 will be twice the quality.

whaaaah*

I don't think that is a correct assumption.

I'm jonsin' for the ps3.

whaaaah*

I heard the same thing about Blu Ray, maybe same deal?

How much is the root kit?

:lol:

whaaaah*

As for the backward compatibility: http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20060622.asp

Note that another of the differences between the two PS3s is that the cheaper one doesn't have integrated WiFi and lacks the MemoryStick/SD/CompactFlash slots (http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/specs.html).

Is anyone else (theoretically) underwhelmed by the SIXAXIS? I still love the feeling of Force Feedback when gaming.

I'll be glad that there are 360s left over while you guys scramble to get your hands on the Wiis and PS3s. :) I'm really psyched by the M$ news that Fred mentioned. We have crap on-demand up here in Montreal and when that service makes it up north it'll be a sweet deal.

Edited by isotrope

Guest Sao_bento

Base price is $500, but the only diff is that it's a smaller hard drive, still has the Blu Ray.

I was referring to Sony's habit of installing root-kit hacks on people's computers without their permission - as in, "Does the Sony's reputation play any role in people's decision to do business with them or does something being the new, hot thing eclipse privacy, ethics, security, etc ?"

To summarize, by playing a Sony audio cd on your computer, Sony was installing a root kit hack to enforce DRM, even if you clicked the "no" button. The result was that it made your system even less stable, and less secure.

Details here:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/31/2016223

Nintendo has not really impressed after N64. Skipped the gamecube, then started seeing some innovations in DS and now the Wii. Mainly what is selling me about it is its price and new way of playing which I think can be extremely fun. Especially some sports games, 1st person shooters and who knows what else Nintendo has planned. Its just another dimension which I think can be very exciting.

BUT I love PS2 and its great games that will not be available on Nintendo. But 600 dollars and a new HDTV will burn a hole in my wallet. I don't even play games that often and bought 3 PS2 games in the last 4 years. Most of them used or classics. So I guess when I make a shit load more money, have an HDTV, and when Sony PS3 goes down in price. I'll go pick one up. But right now its definately the Wii.

Guest Sao_bento

Wich of these allows you to attach a keyboard?

With the Wii, you can chop a virtual keyboard in half with a sword like swing!

To summarize, by playing a Sony audio cd on your computer, Sony was installing a root kit hack to enforce DRM, even if you clicked the "no" button. The result was that it made your system even less stable, and less secure.

sid=05/10/31/2016223[/url]

Haha, maybe in Windows ;)

Anyways, it's nasty!