Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Aaron 06 Reel

Hello,

I started working on a new reel today. My new site is coming soon, but I wanted to get some feedback on the reel in the meantime. I was hoping to finish more spec projects so that my reel wouldn't consist of so much corporate work, but for now that is what I've got. Thanks for any critiques/advice you can give.

Aaron.

http://www.iondesignteam.com/aaron/movies/aaron_06_reel.mov

first, is that wolf parade? because i love wolf parade.

second, i love the intro. i remember u posting it here a while ago and think it came out well.

third, it did seem a bit light, could use a little more content maybe. the bug at the end really didnt seem to cater to a purpose, either. id want to see the bug do something with a ltitle more direction.

and keep experimenting!

Edited by jeffrey

great work.

i would look to more mind exspanding projects. i.e. starudt.tv

you have the mad skills

great work.

i would look to more mind exspanding projects. i.e. starudt.tv

you have the mad skills

my bad

www.stardust.tv

thanks for checking out my reel.

The end graphic definitely needs to have more of a purpose. That is one of the things that I knew I would have to go back and work on.

Yeah, the music is wolf parade. It's off of apologies to the queen mary... great cd.

Thanks for the kind words spicoli. I checked out your reel the other day when you posted it. It's encouraging to get positive feedback from designers that have strong reels like yours.

Aaron.

nice solid reel, with some very strong animation concepts and animation craftsmanship. most of your animation has a conceptual and communicative purpose (something fairly rare in mograph) and is well executed on top of that.

the only thing that really seperates your reel from that of an A+ mographer is that it doesn't show the skillsets that are generally associated with an education in print design-- full utilization of things like color, value, typography, texture, shape, pattern, etc. and the relationships amongst them. the problem is that those skillsets take a lot of work to fully develop. i'm not at all saying that your design skills are bad (i think they're about average for a mographer), but the animation quality is so strong that the design stuff pales in comparison.

the only other crtique would be the general lack of secondary/subdominant animation elements (sparkles, sprinkles, heatwaves, inkwashes kinda stuff), though i understand that those kinda things may not be possible if you're dealing with tight deadlines/budgets.

again, your animation quality is very strong and my critiques merely explain what i see as the difference between your reel and a big-timer. hope this somehow helps.

Thanks for the critique jaan. i agree with you, especially on the lack of secondary elements. Recently I've been trying to focus a lot more on preproduction to further develop the look before jumping into the animation, and that seems to be helping. I went to a school that focused more on technical things than design, so your description is pretty accurate...

As always the feedback that i've gotten has been very helpful. I'll probably have a new cut up soon.

thanks,

Aaron.

This is the first time I think I have ever posted this in the "reels" section... I think it needs to be longer.

Whoa.

Looks good. I would focus as much on your 3d skills as you can cause that is clearly what you are getting paid to do. I always like it when someone has interesting work for what looked like could have been a boring client- anyone can mock up a fake looking VH1 spec spot and make it look interesting, but what if the client is construction equpiment:)