Sign in to follow this  
graymachine

AIGA Membership

Guest Sao_bento

Has anyone found an AIGA membership to be worthy of the $295 price tag?

It's all about going to the meetings and networking. If you can't or won't regularly attend the meetings or conferences, there's no point.

Guest Sao_bento

So that's a yes?

If your goal is to network with print and web designers and you actually go to the events, then yes.

I joined for the first time to have access to job listings- turns out that the same listings are available for free at coroflot.com. However- I've had people get in touch with me just from browsing AIGA.

Guest Sao_bento

I joined for the first time to have access to job listings- turns out that the same listings are available for free at coroflot.com. However- I've had people get in touch with me just from browsing AIGA.

Back in the days, the ITVA, BDA, and AIGA used to position themselves as the gatekeepers of the good job postings, I'm glad to see the rug has been yanked out from under them on that one.

Networking is pretty much all they have left to offer now. With the AIGA, their studio tours are kinda cool too, because you get to see a little bit of how other people work (which is always interesting to me).

Also, the membership fee is tax deductible.

No.

If your chapter is like any of them I've been around, you can get into the networking events and seminars without shelling out the $295/yr. Especially when you consider that their $295 only gets them a discounted admission price at the door.

No.

If your chapter is like any of them I've been around, you can get into the networking events and seminars without shelling out the $295/yr. Especially when you consider that their $295 only gets them a discounted admission price at the door.

That's what I have noticed locally, some things are cheaper when you're a member, but you can still go to most things and just pay $15 instead of $5 or whatever. The only other benefit is the 15% Adobe discount, but most people already own the software they need.

There are a few financial benefits to aiga which could help offset off the membership costs. If you're considering purchasing a lot of adobe software in the near future, they'll get you 15% discount. In the past, I've also gotten full copies of software such as motion by attending aiga sponsored training sessions. They do offer some kind of health insurance option, but I've never looked into that to see if it's cheaper or not. You save some money if you're planning to attend any of their conferences or submit your work to their awards. Plus it's a full tax write off, so depending on whether you'll use the deduction, it could end being worth it.

Interesting thread.

On a related note, does anyone thing BDA is worth joining? I'm curious what designers think of that organization.

(p.s. how cool is the new Firefox auto spell check?)

Guest Sao_bento

Interesting thread.

On a related note, does anyone thing BDA is worth joining? I'm curious what designers think of that organization.

(p.s. how cool is the new Firefox auto spell check?)

Not for individuals. If you have a big company that will pay for it and pay your way to the conference + the conference admission fees. If that's the case, in the words of Geoff McFetteridge, you'd be rocking on someone else's dime.

It used to be that the BDA conference was a place to go see tons of great work, network with people in this biz, and check out all the job opportunities. These days, that describes Mograph, Motionographer, etc. There's no longer a need to pay the outrageous costs to travel cross country for a get together. Organizations like the BDA are irrelevant these days. Since print graphic design has been around for a long time, the AIGA is more widespread, and have local chapters that sponsor local events like the studio tours I previously mentioned. Even though their purpose is eroding, at least they still have something to offer.