Sign in to follow this  
jasfish

mograph.net RIP?

Is it just me or does it seem like mograph.net is losing a lot of steam?

Posting is down and the good topics seem few and far between.

Anyone else feel that way? Anything to make it more relevant again? Or are sites like

Motionographer and Feed where it's at these days?

Curious what other peeps think about this.

It's november, remember, much work for the members.

Just step back a few feet. That gigantic trench of dispair is just a dip in a long straight road.

It's kinda feels like changing casts at SNL.

I'm not sure it's because there are too many people. It fills a hole that Feed and Motionographer can't fill, which is Q&A. If anything there haven't been that many good questions recently... but when there are they seem to get good answers.

-m

Yes, it has lost the feeling... hum... it's incredible the amount of people here now

plus the old regulars are less visible and laughingcolors has no avatar anymore!

hopefully I'm not considered one of the "new" ones that's killing the experience for you all. I remember alot of veterans when I first found this place in early '05, and they don't seem to come around much anymore. Could be because I come to this place more to joke around than to actually talk about motion graphics. Hopefully it's bne meyrs fault and not mine :D

Edited by biggieboy

I'm not new, I just had my account deleted, evidently in the big server crash in June/July...(sadly, I am no longer a mograph megastar)

It's fun watching the industry work trends. Plug-in sales always go down in the Summer because everyone is on break or something, and then all the work and deadlines start up again around September due to all of the holidays.

I was lost in the jungle near a little town called Sayulita (Mex) all last week. four hours of yoga a day and lazing around on deserted beaches, no phones, computers or PEOPLE :) ...been kinda hard to get back into the swing of things.

Guest bne meyrs

Most, if not all of the good questions have been asked already, and when they are refiltered and asked again by the newer cats they get grilled for not searching... This in turn gets the veterans flustered for having to post "PLEASE SEARCH" and/or triggers their annoyance that the same questions are popping up again and again. Thus this forum's lack-o-coolness lately.

It's kinda feels like changing casts at SNL.

I'm not sure it's because there are too many people. It fills a hole that Feed and Motionographer can't fill, which is Q&A. If anything there haven't been that many good questions recently... but when there are they seem to get good answers.

-m

i've felt like this for a long time but didn't want to say anything....maybe we should see other people ? There's just no passion anymore, all i can think of is "are you done yet"? I think i'm going to need my letterman jacket back.....honestly, i need someone older, more experienced.

But seriously, when i first discovered this place years ago it was full of great discussion and cutting edge work. Now it's very diluted. Maybe we need a mograph-lite. But then again im always asking questions that are one step above the cow. Maybe everyone is busy doing HD, or maybe thats my own personal hell.

JR

I dunno...just to play devils advocate to all the bleeding hearts Isn't a site like this supposed to grow?? or is it that it should just cater to the first 20 people who sign up? to say that 2003 was the peak of motion graphics is pretty grim as well. Can't we all find new problems to talk about, explore different directions in design that challenge the status quo? stop whining about ink splats & paint drips, and create a new trend that we can all whine about a year down the line. all right now you can all hit back call me an a@*hole & say I don't know what I'm talking about :D

Yo i haven't posted in a long time, basically because, yes, mograph.net kinda bores me now.

it's sad because this was definatly one of my favourite forums, but i think after mograph got hax0rd to the max0r everyone lost intrest.

i'm being absolutely serious. i miss 2003. truly a peak year. it's funny because since 2003 I've actually become an actual "professional" mographer instead of just a kid fresh out of college trying to get in. i've been working, getting paid, doing my thing, learning new stuff... but that old 2k3 feeling is defintaly gone. i couldn't tell you the last time i watched a demo reel all the way through, much less the last time i enjoyed one (i used to enjoy watching demo reels more than television). and obviously there's still a shitload of room for growth and discovery and art and fun and all that... but... i just don't care. and i don't think it's just me. i mean there's more company's than ever out there making great work... but remember mk12 in 2003? shit was amazing. or how about brand new school? does anyone even give a shit about them now? how about buck? they were just babies back the, but damn if the buck 2003 reel isn't the best they ever made. shilo? check out their 2003 reel. see if you don't cum.

here's to 2003.

Edited by Fred Camino

When I was a designer in england, the thought about North American design was that generally it was a few years behind Europe and it was mainly based on copying what was done there a few years past. I mean, I don't mean to be elitist or racist or anything like that (especially since my own design skills don't come close to the majority here) but it is kinda true and the attitudes on display here are kinda reflective of that dontcha think?

I mean, 2003 was the peak? Why not move forward? If you don't want to play follow the leader then you have to be the leader to follow. Still making jokes about paint splatters and deer heads? I mean, that was old in 2003 wasn't it? How is it now? Does mograph really need some breakout star to get people interested again? I thought you guys were the top of the pile. Why not show that?

But what do I know? Just a young mographer that looked up to the talent here and learned a lot from reading their ramblings. If the attitude is that mograph is dead then maybe it is here and the love truley has been lost. In which case I'll still continue to do what I do but look up to someone else.

Where is the love?

When I was a designer in england, the thought about North American design was that generally it was a few years behind Europe and it was mainly based on copying what was done there a few years past. I mean, I don't mean to be elitist or racist or anything like that (especially since my own design skills don't come close to the majority here) but it is kinda true and the attitudes on display here are kinda reflective of that dontcha think?

I mean, 2003 was the peak? Why not move forward? If you don't want to play follow the leader then you have to be the leader to follow. Still making jokes about paint splatters and deer heads? I mean, that was old in 2003 wasn't it? How is it now? Does mograph really need some breakout star to get people interested again? I thought you guys were the top of the pile. Why not show that?

But what do I know? Just a young mographer that looked up to the talent here and learned a lot from reading their ramblings. If the attitude is that mograph is dead then maybe it is here and the love truley has been lost. In which case I'll still continue to do what I do but look up to someone else.

Where is the love?

we got old. you're only 24.5 years old - a mere child. just wait until you're 25.9 years old. things stop looking so sparkley.

OK...

OK, 2003, yes it was ... but how about 1996

Ok, we got more and more ... but still it's originality that comes out, just like the artists back then in 2003

Ok, now we got much more channels to look at.

But still it's a great forum and hope it stay! Life changes very fast, did you know?

And just to read Sao, i come back regularly, Thanks to him and all the olders and also the newer participant!

Edited by Self_90

we got old. you're only 24.5 years old - a mere child. just wait until you're 25.9 years old. things stop looking so sparkley.

What about when you're 26.05 and you haven't even broken into the industry yet but still want more than anything to do so?

As someone who represents the freshmen and wannabe sector of mograph, I can tell you that this stuff is as fascinating to me now as you described it being in 2003. I've been finding reels to be more interesting than TV, and I can't wait to get my first shot at doing it professionally, even if I'm 30 by the time I get a chance.

Did people stop listening to music after the 60's? Maybe the problem isn't the board or the content, but that new things take time to develop or you have to look in a different place to find it. I'm not talking about a different board, but a new direction.

Don't kill the dream for those of us who look to your current expertise for our inspiration. Did it ever occur to you that maybe you've reached the peak and now you have to find inspiration in yourselves? Who do you think Stanley Kubrick looked to for inspiration? How about DiVinci? Stop waiting for someone else to entertain you and create the good yourselves.

As much as I love the stuff I see on this site, people bitch WAY too much.