Sign in to follow this  
jasfish

mograph.net RIP?

i agree with playingkarde. maybe we're just some young guns, with our pistols half out their holsters, all trying to jumpstart a dead horse by kickin it, with our heads all in the sand and shit... but i think y'all are getting way ahead of yourselves.

it's fine to have idols, but when you start getting all nostalgic about them, you need to check yourself, girlfriends. maybe if your only bizness is about critiquing what's 'hot' right now, you might get a lil' bummed about the current drabness of showcase/reels.

but i know some of you are planning the new hot shit, the new techniques, the new style that will be copied by the masses. i don't think that vanguard will ever fade, it's an instinctual human desire. and i that's why mograph has been so popular. because it ignites that creative flame.

myself, i would not be where i am right now if it hadn't been for this site (and i joined supposedly past it's prime). So there are still people in the vanguard, even if the old guard has given up.

i can't think of a good ending for this rant. bleh.

aaaaand everyone made my point before i finished spell checking.

I was just about to leave for the day, when I saw this thread.

Ask yourself this:

When's the last time you were able to just do something cool without 13 idiots pissing all over it?

I think the problem is not so much that mograph is getting boring, or that we're getting old, or that all the smart, cool people are gone since that hack attack. I think the problem comes from the client side.

Ok, so it's an easy out. Sure, but think about all the jobs you've had in the last few years. I too feel blase about coming to work on a daily basis, Y'know why? Because on a daily basis, it's the same shit that's being asked of me. When I try to break out of the norm, my boards get rejected. When I try to do something different, I get asked to do the same old "safe" thing. So I am now stuck in a rut.

People want shit that looks less "computer graphicky" and more "martha stewart"

Big, bad, knock you on your ass 3D graphics are out. Simple and stark is in.

Over the top is no longer acceptable - well, at least not where I work, or where any of the people I talk to work.

It's all about BRANDING....though, not necessarily good design.

Edit: Ok, now I'm going home.

Edited by Firebetty

Come on guys don't be so bitter.

If you're tired making things look good, try to find some ideas and concepts. That's very rewarding in terms of self esteem.

(and if your company suck, you can go somewhere else or do things on your side)

Edited by jan

who cares if you're not excited by others' reels and projects. all that matters is that you find ways to make your own projects excite you.

and then we'll all be excited by each others' work and then we'll all join internet hands and sing "we are the world". but i get to be michael mcdonald.

who cares if you're not excited by others' reels and projects. all that matters is that you find ways to make your own projects excite you.

and then we'll all be excited by each others' work and then we'll all join internet hands and sing "we are the world". but i get to be michael mcdonald.

:lol::lol::lol:

oh god i cant even be bothered replying to this (but i will)

im depressed, whats the point.

everything is gay.

I know a break is good, lighten up give it a couple months and we will all be laughing again.

I mean there are worse things in the world , imagine these girls and there dilema,and they totally overcame it!!!

I wish I worked at McDonalds so I could go to the McDonald's forum (mcforum.net) and get excited about all the new stuff they are trying over there like healthy salads and non-processed chicken sandwiches.

but seriously. in 2001 when I started I remember working next to this depressed thirty-something animator who said he was going to find a new career because he had lived through the revolution in Motion Graphic Design and there was nothing left exciting to do.

this thread sucks. Maybe you are all just tired of the sight of your own navals.

jesus people. ever heard of optimism?

Pessimism is the new sarcasm.

But back to the issues... dead? no. Lull sure. And while 2003 was not the last innovative year of the millennium-- you have to admit it definitely marked an explosion of talent.

-m

Alright, I know I carry absolutely NO weight around here, but jeez, folks... stop crying. If the dream is over, go get another job. As far as I'm concerned, the show's just gettin' started.

We're getting closer and closer to the point where the technology allows us to design and create at the speed of thought, rather than trying vainly to keep the flow going while AE pulls its head out of its ass. There's a million new tools and goodies out there to make use of, and a million new artists and genres to be inspired by. You're running out of excuses.

It was said that mograph died in 2003 or whatever... didja all blow your wads at once? Got nothing left in the tank? Come on. I've seen stuff on these boards that blew my friggin mind, inspired me, made me give up my day job to be a part of this. The stuff some of you guys have put together is simply incredible, but I find it hard to believe the tap's run dry.

Client's want the same old crap? Fine, give it to 'em, then get new clients. Piss on the clients, do what you want to do, but do it for yourself. If you don't get paid for it, oh well. So you're in a rut, it happens. You gonna keep digging yourself deeper? How about putting the friggin shovel down and start climbing your ass out of whatever hole you're in and get on with it.

I dunno, I'm probably full of shit here, but oh well. I guess I'm still pretty idealistic about the whole mograph thing, since I'm still pretty new to it. Either way, it's just like anything else. Do what you love, love what you do, or move on.

Take it for what it's worth.

i think what it comes down to (in regards to mograph.net) is that the mograph.net class of 2003 has long graduated. this thread was started by a member of that class and most of the people who are cwying like wittle babies are part of the same class (myself included). we came here around 2003, saw some work that blew our minds (the shit i mentioned earlier), started collecting reels, talking about shit, having fun, making vulgar jokes and pwns, and just all around being cool as shit. a couple years passed. we talked all we could talk, new shit was being made but it wasn't getting our dicks hard like before (not because it wasn't amazing, but just because we felt we'd seen the originalz, now everything was just building upon that foundation in our naive minds), where did justin harder and gmunk go, and suddenly all these new people came. the class of 2005 if you will. and they were excited about these new reelz that bored us. they were talking and jibber-jabbering and making jokes and pwns. we didn't get it. we had blogs now. marketing blogs. transit blogs. mograph.net was obviously for the 24 year olds. us 25 year olds were just the pathetic old dudes coming back trying to hit on the titted high school girls with no avail.

now i think most of the class of 2003 are still doing mograph and enjoying it, but i just think the mograph.net aspect has been lost to many of us for reasons i stated above. i think the proof is there, just from the simple fact that so many of us don't participate anymore.

it's not good or bad, it just is. and i don't think it's RIP for mograph.net. it just might be RIP for some of alumni.

and the school metaphor is valid, because i tell you what, in 2003 this mother fucker taught me more than any brick-and-mortar son of a gun. and for that i am thankful. happy pre-thanksgiving.

Edited by Fred Camino

and the school metaphor is valid, because i tell you what, in 2003 this mother fucker taught me more than any brick-and-mortar son of a gun. and for that i am thankful. happy pre-thanksgiving.

I'm sure that we can do something to bring back the old mograph. You all can start by tearing apart the logo design I submitted around a month ago. I was expecting a lashing like none before and got almost nothing.

Perhaps I've become a sadomasochist? :)

im sure its a telling sign that even the board creator doesn't post anymore. there will always be a need for a forum like this but for most of the old regulars, it wont always be the page that they hit refresh every 15 minutes on. let another generation of mograph enthusiasts come in and be obsessive..

Crikey, I'm 40.2 and I'm still mographing, although nowhere near the level of many of the people here.

This sounds like good old burnout to me. 2003? Huh! What about the year KPT came out? Kai Krause posting chops (for photoshop before layers) and metacreations bringing books out and the communities and the blue sky discussions that took graphic design philosophy into new and uncharted territory and Goo and Soap and Bryce and . . . well, you get the picture. Like 2003, it felt as though you were involved in a cutting edge industry, pushing boundaries and discovering strange and wonderful new worlds.

Thing is, the stuff created then, the techniques, styles and technology all found their way into the mainstream, just as paint splatters and deer heads have. They are part of the visual language we all use everyday, their offspring are embedded in the very programs we use every day.

Ask yourself this question - why are you so disillusioned? Is it the software you're using? The process of production too boring? If it's the creative process itself, then welcome to the long-term real world of graphic design. Those that don't find new inspiration and recharge their batteries are the ones that fall by the wayside. And if you don't know how to do that, well perhaps a new career is not such a bad idea after all.

This old man will shut up now and get back to AE.

personally, i have a hard time getting excited about a lot of new work because it doesn't suit my personal taste. the trend as a whole is to use a lot more 3D, character animation, and other elements that are more on the literal/realistic side of things than on the graphic/stylized end of the spectrum. in 02-04 or so, the style was very much flat, 2.5D, etc- justin harder, BNS, shilo, gmunk, etc- all those guys did stuff during those few years that was exactly what i wanted to see.

personally, i'm just not into the look that's popular right now. i'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just that i don't care for it. a good comparison- at least in my opinion is shilo's recent Fuel IDs, compared to the old classic Comserv. much less stylized, much more realistic. both are incredibly well done, obviously, and i'm not knocking Shilo at all, just illustrating my point:

Fuel

http://www.shilodesign.com/shilo_new/video...hp?project_id=3

Comserv

http://www.shilodesign.com/shilo_new/video...p?project_id=39

that's pretty much where my lack of interest lies, although i'm probably the only one.

maybe we're all just too busy making work to spend time here talking about making work.

me, personally... i get rock hard at the sign of my own navals.

i feel like a broken record when i talk about her, but look at lotte reiniger's films. then contemplate how she made them. then worship the electronic gods who allow you to both make your deadlines _and_ have a weekend.

Edited by tim.bowman

i was thinking all the older dudes got jobs, and were making real work instead of posting student projects or personal experiments. at that point, who cares waht a bunch of internet dudes think. id imagine the class of 2003 could care less about some kid making his first bump for the student tv channel.

dont try and make the freshman feel like ur year was THE year, just cuz u didnt have a bunch of been-there, done-that-ers around to tell u waht was up.

so basically.... make better work, find better sources of inspiration, create topics that are more interesting, fire bad clients, charge more for work, spend more time with family and friends, and take longer vacations.

Mograph.net and this industry are what we make it and can get paid for. If this place is no longer revelant to you then its ok do your thing, drink your iced decaf soy latte and bitch. You will be quickly replaced by some young wippersnapper with quick wit and an ego to back it up. I hope those people of the old guard will roll up in their walkers, offer a word of wisdom and perspective once in a while to keep younger egos in check and push our craft further. We can give our opinion without fear of being sent to sensitivity training. We are all here because deep down we all love this type of work and generally like people of our own kind who are interested in similar things that we are.

LONG LIVE MOGRAPH.NET,

you bitches!

personally, i have a hard time getting excited about a lot of new work because it doesn't suit my personal taste. the trend as a whole is to use a lot more 3D, character animation, and other elements that are more on the literal/realistic side of things than on the graphic/stylized end of the spectrum. in 02-04 or so, the style was very much flat, 2.5D, etc- justin harder, BNS, shilo, gmunk, etc- all those guys did stuff during those few years that was exactly what i wanted to see.

personally, i'm just not into the look that's popular right now. i'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just that i don't care for it. a good comparison- at least in my opinion is shilo's recent Fuel IDs, compared to the old classic Comserv. much less stylized, much more realistic. both are incredibly well done, obviously, and i'm not knocking Shilo at all, just illustrating my point:

Fuel

http://www.shilodesign.com/shilo_new/video...hp?project_id=3

Comserv

http://www.shilodesign.com/shilo_new/video...p?project_id=39

that's pretty much where my lack of interest lies, although i'm probably the only one.

i agree... there was something very "mograph" about the top mograph back then. it had an unmistakable feel to it. today's best mograph seems to have a lot more akin to great visual effects than anything else.