Sign in to follow this  
jasfish

mograph.net RIP?

bah!

I always lurk n'read waaay more than I post.

I have just been busy as of late, been freelancing and don't always feel comfortable surfing the web/forum posting when I'm working on site. (You never know who is gonna stroll by)

I agree since the crazy hack attack, a lot of people simply didn't bother to renew their accounts and just faded.

It was like the shattering of Pangaea.

Also, I see all the time people getting flamed for asking novice questions and for not using the search button. So probably a lot of people are either:

a.) Getting turned off at the perceived unfriendliness factor and not sticking around

b.) Having seen other people scolded for asking redundant questions, actually using the search feature and then not bothering to make an account

c.) Too busy waiting on a line to get a PS3 or Wii

d.) Too busy competing in Crunk dance tournaments for charity

Cheer up mates! :)

Edited by BillD²²²

It's a bummer that peeps feel like this site is losing its shine (pun intended). As a mograph novice, the crits, the techniques, the hardware/software discussions, the occasional sociopolitcal diatribes have all been invaluable to me, and if the site went away, there would be much gnashing of teeth and beating of breasts, even amongst the too-cool set. (witness the after-crash posts...) If you ain't feelin' it, go ebay or myspace or something. If you are, put up some work, ask a question, talk smack about someone's avatar, put that brilliant jaded cynicism to good use and harsh someone's reel or a dumb commercial or a silly self indulgent post like this.... ;)

This is all just trends, and as Fred says, when the trends leave your sphere of taste, everything starts to seem lame. I've been doing this longer than most people here, and I can say that some of the style trends that people have pointed out here have been recycled 3 times (with slight variations) during my career alone. For instance, the 2.5D look that happened around '03 happened way before that as well, right about the time that After Effects first introduced z depth. For a few months everyone and their cat was playing around with 2.5D layers, because before that it was a bitch and now the shackles were off and we weren't going to be limited to 2D any more. Then it got really boring and people started designing again. When I noticed that look was back, it just seemed completely played out to me, but that's what you young bucks were getting off on, so there you have it.

When I was a noob, it was all about live action. You were second rate of there was no live action in your reel. Things that looked CGI were out, and I thought I was going to have to become a director since all this motion graphics stuff was dead. That lasted a couple of months as well.

I have to admit I almost never look at reels; maybe I'm just old but 99.9% of the stuff just blends together IMO. For me it's easier to have fresh ideas if I'm not constantly looking at other people's ideas, but it was completely the opposite when I was just getting started. These days I get much more out of looking at non mograph design and art.

I just don't worry about it; the trends, the shitty clients, the selling out; it's all been going on forever. As long as I do a handful of good projects a year and I make enough money to continue the lifestyle I want, I can't really complain.

My useless thoughts:

I left being a Cow leader after a few years because I was sick of answering the same questions how to do a long gone effect for the thousandth time. When I re-discovered mograph.net (after visiting in it's infancy for a spell) I was blown away with ACTUAL talent that visits here. This is a forum with guys(and gals) that DO, or work with the guys that DO create the trends. I was so happy to come to a place where I learned a ton from a creative, forward thinking group. Although I've only been a regular for a handful of months now, I have noticed that it seems to have dwindled to Cow levels lately. Meaning a lot of the posts seem to be asking how to do the tired effect rather than discussing great art, design, or new technical techniques.

When mograph.net stops being about innovation and is more discussion about copying, it's soul is gone.

Perhaps some of these may apply to many of us:

1- Too darn busy. Isn't it great when you have too much paying work and pending contracts to work on a demo reel?

2- Disillusionment brought about by losing "Demi-god" poster status.

3- Inferiority complex brought about by watching the reels of the talented folks on here. My own stuff looks like garbage after watching the reels online. I've been struggling to get my self-respect back. It's hazardous, watching really nice mograph work and then trying to go do it yourself.

4- Motionographer and FEED. It's easier to find new work on there without having to wade through political rancor and profanity.

That said, mograph.net is still the first page I go to when I fire up my browser. But I'm way too busy to be doing that lately, and I wouldn't be now if I wasn't rendering in the background. Dang, I wish I could work my way back to that mega-poster status, but I don't have the time. When the discussions tend to turn political, I can't sacrifice precious work time to either participate or try to weed past it. And as far as the new Tween and FEED go, I still read them...just not in depth. So I guess I wouldn't say that mograph.net has suffered any decrease in my attention that doesn't apply to other sites as well.

Cf

Well, this thread has stirred some fine discussion - I too love reading the posts by the big boys - it helps keep jobbing mographers like me feeling like it's all worthwhile. As Scott says, a couple of decent projects a year is enough to keep the faith . . . the rest is earning a living.

Guest bne meyrs

COMPETITION!!!

5 second mograph piece about an elephant named Roddy and his lil peanut friend, Mike. GO GO GO!

Winner gets to brag a lot.... GO!

My useless thoughts:

I left being a Cow leader after a few years because I was sick of answering the same questions how to do a long gone effect for the thousandth time. When I re-discovered mograph.net (after visiting in it's infancy for a spell) I was blown away with ACTUAL talent that visits here. This is a forum with guys(and gals) that DO, or work with the guys that DO create the trends. I was so happy to come to a place where I learned a ton from a creative, forward thinking group. Although I've only been a regular for a handful of months now, I have noticed that it seems to have dwindled to Cow levels lately. Meaning a lot of the posts seem to be asking how to do the tired effect rather than discussing great art, design, or new technical techniques.

When mograph.net stops being about innovation and is more discussion about copying, it's soul is gone.

The fact this thread is creating such a discussion seems to me that folks genuinely give $.02. Natural ebbs and flows in my opinion.

I will say this, as a software guy, this forum deosn't hold back. Sometimes that scares off other software guys. To me...gives me a standard to reach.

Other forums are more polite, conservative, blah blah blah.

When you folks get going on something I grab the popcorn and beer.

Peaks and Valleys....normal thing anwyhere are my $.02

Steve

GridIron Software Inc.

Well, my 0.2:

mograph.net is far too noisy, unfocused, unmoderated. While some may welcome that wild blend of absolute beginners with absolutely no clue intermingled with long-time pros, I find it more than slightly irritating.

I also think many of you are often far too busy with maintaining a certain aura and building a facade. There is too much "How should I present myself?", "What do you guys do?" and "MK12 is cool" nonsense. All these things don't interest me in the slightest and contrary to what someone said, neither feed nor motionographer are doing a better job at it, except for providing some links and video files. There are certain tendencies of "deification" of "the greats" (regardless whether it's people or companies) that for the life of me I can't understand and it's beginning to piss me off just as the film VFX industry pisses me off for similar reasons.

Lastly, I simply don't understand a lot of what's going on here because I don't have the slightest idea about the US or other foreign markets. I probably couldn't care less about the latest clip from company X, when I don't even have seen it.

Mylenium

I'm the same as Bill, Lurk way more than I post, what can I say; 1 year old at home, new responsibilities at work.

I think the hack took the wind out of our sails somewhat, There was something disturbing about losing your post count, hate to admit it but I liked being a 'superstar' or whatever, having to restart felt poo (sad, I know)

Some of the old postmeisters have been somewhat quiet of late as well: Govinda, Sermon, Fred et al.

I hope Mograph.net will weather the storm.

I miss the pies.

I miss off topic political ding dongs with Clint (Velocity)

I miss having a life now I'm a parent.

I hereby announce that Mograph.net is actually complete and should be closed to new posts.

Everything you want to know can be found with the search engine.

As the worlds most complete and comprehensive repository of sarcasm and cynicism you just have to click "perform the search" to find the correct smartass response to any conceivable question.

Also if Clint won't lower himself to take part in political discussions, where is the fun?

Edited by basilisk

oh, and let me be clear: while i'm not really feeling a lot of the current motion graphics work, i still think this site itself is worth its weight in gold and i still really enjoy it.

also, if i REALLY cared that much about seeing work that was appealing to me, i'd just do it for myself. the truth is i'm too lazy and uninspired, so i just play final fantasy 12 instead...

Well, my 0.2:

mograph.net is far too noisy, unfocused, unmoderated. While some may welcome that wild blend of absolute beginners with absolutely no clue intermingled with long-time pros, I find it more than slightly irritating.

I also think many of you are often far too busy with maintaining a certain aura and building a facade. There is too much "How should I present myself?", "What do you guys do?" and "MK12 is cool" nonsense. All these things don't interest me in the slightest and contrary to what someone said, neither feed nor motionographer are doing a better job at it, except for providing some links and video files. There are certain tendencies of "deification" of "the greats" (regardless whether it's people or companies) that for the life of me I can't understand and it's beginning to piss me off just as the film VFX industry pisses me off for similar reasons.

Lastly, I simply don't understand a lot of what's going on here because I don't have the slightest idea about the US or other foreign markets. I probably couldn't care less about the latest clip from company X, when I don't even have seen it.

Mylenium

check out CG Talk it r00lz

Does this one, simple thread officially make Mograph.net NOT Dead?

jasfish, you are brilliant.

Edit: Also, the more I think about this forum, the more I realize it's not just about the work we do, but who we are as people, artists, designers, animators, [smartasses.]

I think it's ok that some people have moved on from here. I think it's healthy. Maybe we'll find a new groove soon enough and new people will want to join and comment on reels, and post etc.

Don't cry mographers. We shall overcome.

Edited by Firebetty

I think about this forum, the more I realize it's not just about the work we do, but who we are as people, artists, designers, animators, [smartasses.]

Yeah....that's kind of the point of a forum. It's no good unless there's good people contributing. If the site sucks then we suck.

and as far as this "going through the motions" / "2003 was the year...man." crap I was reading....that just doesn't hold up. If shit's leveled out it's cuz you've gotten comfortable doing the same thing. There's always something new to learn / do.

So quit bitching and do something about it.

check out CG Talk it r00lz

No, it doesn't. It's just yet another over-merchandised website taking claim to represent a certain user type when everybody knows it's not true. It'S probably the largest such place on the entire web, but there is no causal relation between quality and quantity - I'm answering stupid questions there every day and yet I don't find it in my heart to let go of it. Well, we all are swimming in the CGToilet, I guess. You are right about one thing: if you ever want to meet moderators with a god complex, then it roolz. Even many forums of the software manufacturers themselves are more tolerant then the self-instated morality officers of CGTalk.

Mylenium

while not an actual "mographer" - ive been reading this place regularly since there were like 300 members. the amount of talent collected here is overwhelming. it has been interesting to say the least.... observing noobs from waaaay back in the day (2003?) working the kinks out of flowing ribbons and getting advise/critique from here to develop into world class mographers.

everything moves forward, and the holdouts get passed by - people getting older/wiser and harping about the "good ol' days" and "whippersnappers". my Grandma thinks Led Zeppelin is "horrible noise" and it all went to shit after Glenn Miller found his perfect sound.....

this lull in the mograph community reminds me of the 3D industry 7 years ago.

*cue 80's distortion/blur effect to transition to a memory.

In the mid 90's, late 90's...3D was on fire. companies were throwing themselves at talented 3D guys. SIGGRAPH was a huge party. you would find yourself talking with Rob Coleman at a party simply because the industry was that small back then. the atmosphere was really electric, things were happening. programs were making huge advancements with every update/release. you could feel you were riding an intellectual/technological/artistic wave. but as the industry grew, and schools started churning out more and more folks, the same energy that was once shared by an elite group of folks was now being forced to feed a massive influx of hungry artists. it wasn't the wild frontier anymore. the huge leaps in technology slowed. so did the fat salaries once companies realized they could get any recent grad to do the same job for 30k a year AND he could do it on a cheap PC.

i think that with the current state of mograph the energy is just being spread out and shared with more folks. it's coming out of the wild frontier stage. still a pretty good time though.

While some may welcome that wild blend of absolute beginners with absolutely no clue intermingled with long-time pros, I find it more than slightly irritating.

Then what the hell is the use? I don't understand why beginners always get ostracized this way. If you want an exclusive club then make one. Require a showreel to gain entrance and a secret handshake.

You know what? I have to teach myself, maintain a day job to support my family, and then have to worry about being true to my real passion because I screwed around in college and didn't get serious until late in the game. I may not even be close to breaking in yet, but I'm not going to let jaded comments like that stand in my way either.

Places like this are a godsend to me. If you're so jaded then why be here?

It is possible that somewhere out there, there is an even cooler place than mograph.net, and all the coolest doodz have gone there, and they won't tell the rest of us where it is cuz they dont want us all turning up and making it uncool.

So if mograph is now lame and sooo 2003, what has taken its place. If I go to a party and someone asks what I do, do I make myself a social leper by saying I do mograph? So I lie instead, but what do I say? What are the coolest kids doing now?

Edited by basilisk