Sign in to follow this  
jasfish

mograph.net RIP?

Although I haven't seen that thread - I do admit to subscribing to another rule....goes around .....comes around. I just don't like race/nationality/etc slags - even if meant as an inside joke. There's just no point to it.

Steve

High Priest Archbishop of the First Canuckistan Republic

Don't worry. Probably it was just some stupid comment and I couldn't stop my big mouth and jumped ahead and bit. Truth will attend to itself and we'll see who's right and who is not.

Mylenium

It seems we needed a thread like this to breath life into mograph.

It's been interesting to read the comments that juxtapose this forum to the Cow. I used to be fairly active with it. A while ago, out of sheer curiousity, I emailed one of the owners of it, inquiring about working toward being a moderator. After about two months without a response, I gave up on it. But then I did get a response from "Mrs. L" that I should have "read more about the Cow" and that I had "links to their competitors" on my web site, and that all was trying to do was to drive people to my (FREE) tutorials. Basically, if one read between the lines, she told me to fuck off.

I wrote a professional response back explaining that I had already accepted a moderator position elsewhere anyway, and that I'm sure that they'd do fine without me. After that, the word "graymachine" seems to have been banned from the forum.

So, on the surface, the Cow seems to have this "come one, come all" veneer. But really, behind the curtain, they're just as prickish as anyone else, just with more traffic and banner ads.

Edit: Fixed my awful spelling, it's early and I only had one cup of coffee when I wrote this

Edited by graymachine

I think the Cow has a place though, as it's good for getting a quick reply on a technical issue, and also tends to attract the wasters who can't be arsed to RTFM and keep the away from places like MoGraph (although one or two slip through the net).

Where MoGraph wins out is the exchange of ideas between working mographers. Think of the years of industry experience represented on this site - a valuable resource even for us old lags who have been doing this for years.

Some of the spelling is awful though.

I wouldn't come here if I wanted another straight, supermoderated, finely formated After Effects help file(F1 !). I come here for the community, to see some fine(and crappy) work, and get involved in an ocasional pointless political discussion. I love all THAT, and thats why I come here daily, with a refresh several times a day.

BTW, that hitler-like picture is funny. I gotta find that "Get to tha choppa!" version of that baby somewhere on my computah.

man, this is all bloody ridiculous. I'm really hoping Mylennium is just purposely pulling a scrillz to breathe life back into mograph.net. If so, hats off good sir, hats off to you. On the other hand, if you really believe places like the cow and CGtalk are well organized, informative, fun sites to visit, then you really have something fundamentally wrong with you. The Cow is such a freaking mess, it's entirely useless. I used it for about a month when I first got started, and luckily someone posted a link to mograph.net. I've never looked back.

Nothing sucks the fun out of an otherwise FUN industry to work in like a bunch of disorganized threads and mods with absolutely NO sense of humour. WE'RE GETTING PAID TO MAKE PICTURES MOVE AROUND A DAMN SCREEN, we should all have a sense of humour about anything we post. That's what makes mograph.net such a great place, I say the same things on here that I would say to my friends/co-workers. It's not ALL business here, there's comradery and fun, and when someone wants to talk business, we all talk business.

I'm here for the people more than anything, we can be jerks but it's all meant for a laugh. I've seen your posts on a few boards Mylennium, and honestly, I always thought you came off as much more of a prick than anyone I've come across at mograph.

Personally, I think mograph.net is doing just fine. We have a small, close-knit group of people speaking whatever's on their minds, and really anything goes here. Anyone who has doubts about this place is kidding themselves, you can't get this mixture anywhere else.

I feel like all the motion graphics related sites are like a bunch of frathouses. CGtalk and the Cow are the stuffy, arrogant water-polo types. We're the "Animal House": drinking, cussing, throwing wild parties. Everyone else hates us, but in the end we get the chicks. :D

Nice !!! That felt good! now back to work

you always like them big Fred!

let's all pause and reflect for a moment...

on scarlett johansson's breasts:

119805960_a7f19d6d13.jpg

Edited by Self_90

119805960_a7f19d6d13.jpg

Can I have a nice male bum instead. I'm not that terribly into women... ;O)

Mylenium

Fred, you shock me.

I declare! :H

I'd also like to add that part of the beauty of this forum is the sense of community with people you will (most likely) never meet in person. Mylenium, when you start throwing stones, you have to be prepared for retaliation. No one wants to make personal attacks here. But when you come across as combative, and devoid of humor, then maybe you should consider spending your time elsewhere. You are evidently NOT amused by our banter, and sick sense of humor. So I'm saying...you have the choice not to read, post, or otherwise exist to us.

I think you should know though, if you continue to act this way, it's going to devolve into character assasinations and vicious comments. And what is the point of that?

Edited by Firebetty

119805960_a7f19d6d13.jpg

It always amazes me how much we have in common. Meaning, having excellent taste.

My chest is nothing like scarlett's, because if it was, there was no time left to post on mograph.net.

well my posts have now dwindled to about one a week, if that, and this thread caught my attention because I've often wondered why it's gone the way it has. I think it's been pretty well covered already... the fact that the industry is maturing, 2003 was the year, now it's past, we're used to it, uninspired by anything new, moved on to more of a situation where motion graphics is becoming less of an obsession to us, and more of a job.

Personally some of the reasons I don't post as much... first, I've gotten really busy, so it's harder to find the time, and since I'm doing this stuff every day, in the middle of all that is motion graphic design, I'm a little tired of talking about it. Another reason, while I used to post my work all the time, I really can't anymore because everything I do is usually under pretty heavy lockdown and I can't risk any type of disclosure fumbles.

Also, is mograph.net more of a 'fan' board than an 'industry' board. I mean, I know when I was really interested in being here and talking, I was somewhat on the outside looking in at all of this hot work I wasn't a part of. Now that I am 'on the inside' (not trying to brag, I've been really fortunate) and have seen how it all goes down, it's shiny factor has gone down big time. Now, I am more interested in pushing myself further and developing past what is known, where as before I was trying to develop to a level which was above me. I sought inspiration here, but now I spend most of my time perusing other design blogs for inspiration, like cpluv, or feed, or motionographer. I'm just not interested in the 10 student reels that get posted here every day, or the polls about how much money freelancers get, or the latest youtube finding.

I think the industry is changing. Maybe not so much in how things are done, but just the personality and character of it. So many new shops, spin offs of the grand father companies, which many seem to be losing some steam. Everything is taking on a corporate tone. The freshness of discovery is dwindeling. As others have said, a graduation has occured, and this class (the one I feel a part of) is moving on to bigger things.

That is NOT to say I don't appreciate mograph.net. I would most certainly not be where I am today with out it. It is also definitely a really important part of the industry and I don't really think it will go away. I've often wondered if something could change to livin it up a bit.

Now that I am 'on the inside' (not trying to brag, I've been really fortunate) and have seen how it all goes down, it's shiny factor has gone down big time.

true- although i haven't worked on projects anywhere close to the level that you have, i've come close enough that i feel the same way. i actually very rarely do animation anymore because i don't enjoy it at all. i'm doing mostly creative direction and, of all things, industrial design...

I think the industry is changing. Maybe not so much in how things are done, but just the personality and character of it. So many new shops, spin offs of the grand father companies, which many seem to be losing some steam. Everything is taking on a corporate tone. The freshness of discovery is dwindeling.

Don't take this as a bash, but haven't you only been in the industry for a lil less than a year...? That seems like quite an assumption to me made by someone so fresh to the game... Not that I know much more... Just seemed a lil off base...

I love this place... I love this industry... and most of all I love you Jaan... Even tho I have poked fun at every single one of your long-winded posts, I loved this latest one... Right on point...

As many of you have said, without this place I would not be where I am today... This was a great place to grow and learn... Even beyond that, it is a great place to find a solid client base... Nearly every single job I have found in the past 2 years has come from either Mograph.net or Motionographer... and 90% of the time, they find me... everytime...

Anyway, long live Mograph.net :D

Edited by The Crabster

I could smell this thread from the other room. I thought it was a fresh pie on the window, but a few clicks revealed the troof. I've been away because I lost the love. I just want to stay away until it feels really right to be fully back, not just wandering half-attentively through the posts. I also probably cost myself a lot of work being here so obsessively instead of learning new things. I've made more money since then.

Not to say I don't still love Fred, but for a neighbor I really don't see him like I should. And now dammit, I'm moving to Eagle Rock in two weeks. Bye Caminoland! Don't shed any tears in your Tom Yum Soup for me <sniff>.

I forget how this place has been a good location to make friends. The old-timer Yogert909 is one of my best pals now. I met Pixelthief about a year ago and then lost touch (my fault entirely). Last night I met Bennett at a party in a bar in Sheman Oaks that had a few other mograph members. He really made me feel awful for not being around. Then he got all the points of my conversation before I could even get to them (especially his 'Spike Lee, company man' comment about how well-made 'Inside Man' was). I hate Bennett.

But you're all right. We're missing some people badly--unless they're still around and I don't know it. Nextseason, Scorch, NHowe, TrentDiggety/Playerhater, Teddy. I used to love how much some of them would post work in progress in violation of their NDAs. Crabbey may still do it. I kinda wanted to tell them not to, but it would've meant the board had fewer good WIP posts. These things self-correct. I was also ready with bail if they got thrown in the slammah.

But of all of them, I really miss Headbox. For anyone who remembers that ruckus, here's a strange update. You know that guy Chad Castagana who sent fake anthrax to Jon Stewart, Sumner Redstone and a bunch of others? I thought, holy shit, that's Headbox's name. So I googled 'by: headbox' to find forum posts by him here and tease out his real name. Oops, I was wrong: his name was Jesse. But along the way I found that Headbox posts at Stormfront. Same Heady Labox? Take a look here.

Army. Los Angeles. The name 'Headbox.' 100 posts on Stormfront since he joined last month. We're talking about Stormfront, not just Little Green Footballs, not just Vox Day, not just VDare. Stormfront. Wow. In the fateful words of Judith Miller, 'I was proved fucking right!'

Don't take this as a bash, but haven't you only been in the industry for a lil less than a year...? That seems like quite an assumption to me made by someone so fresh to the game... Not that I know much more... Just seemed a lil off base...

no, actually I've been 'following' motion graphic design since the later months of 2003, so almost three years. I didn't really start doing it and getting good until about a year later. So, all I'm saying is that the feeling of what things were during that time and now has changed, in my opinion. Alot of the bigger shops that dropped my jaw back then just don't seem to do that much stuff that is really impressive at all to me. Belief is the biggest example, in my mind. When was the last time you saw something special from them? I'm more excited about what King and Country is gonna do, who are ex-beliefers. Part of it is that I'm jaded from motion graphics overload, and the other part is turnover. Alot of people that were part of these places figured out, hey, why don't I just do this on my own, I'm good enough. I've been in the middle of it. I worked at eyeball right when their huge turn over began. I'm not saying I'm some industry mogul, but I've seen enough to know, I think. It's a young industry, and alot's changing.

What that has to do with this thread, I don't know. ha

true- although i haven't worked on projects anywhere close to the level that you have, i've come close enough that i feel the same way. i actually very rarely do animation anymore because i don't enjoy it at all. i'm doing mostly creative direction and, of all things, industrial design...

industrial design is the sex. What kinda stuff you doin?

no, actually I've been 'following' motion graphic design since the later months of 2003, so almost three years. I didn't really start doing it and getting good until about a year later. So, all I'm saying is that the feeling of what things were during that time and now has changed, in my opinion. Alot of the bigger shops that dropped my jaw back then just don't seem to do that much stuff that is really impressive at all to me. Belief is the biggest example, in my mind. When was the last time you saw something special from them? I'm more excited about what King and Country is gonna do, who are ex-beliefers. Part of it is that I'm jaded from motion graphics overload, and the other part is turnover. Alot of people that were part of these places figured out, hey, why don't I just do this on my own, I'm good enough. I've been in the middle of it. I worked at eyeball right when their huge turn over began. I'm not saying I'm some industry mogul, but I've seen enough to know, I think. It's a young industry, and alot's changing.

What that has to do with this thread, I don't know. ha

I know this is way off topic, but I wanted to agree with you about Belief... When I first found out about Motion Graphics, they were the first shop I came across. I was blown away... My biggest goal was to someday be good enough to move to LA so that I could work with Belief... But that dream has long faded and now when someone brings up Belief, I am like... eh? Just seems like they stopped in their tracks...

stuff that would bore most people to tears: pesticides, lawn care chemicals, gas pumps, lots of blow-molded bottles for procter & gamble products, baby wipes boxes, etc- but i really enjoy it. i work on the strategy/"brand revisioning" part of things.

when i say this, i'm not really thinking about any companies in particular, but the way things appear from my perspective, the current state of the mograph industry closely resembles that of the interactive industry around 1997-2001...

there were all these small shops of like two or three people popping up because they were splintering off from the few big interactive agencies-- there was a huge surgence of demand for online stuff and flash was really opening up new possibilities, and web designers were genuinely excited about things. there was a lot of innovative stuff being done by those small splinter shops and i assume they were doing the kinds of innovative stuff that they had always hoped to. then ad agencies really really "got" how important & useful flash stuff could be, and started throwing mad cashflow projects at those small two-person shops. those shops ballooned in size, and became used to those fat invoices they got from agency work. if you're doing primarily agency work, then that means you are probably doing large-market stuff. which means mainstream audiences. which means waves and waves and waves of revisions dictated by a cautious agency CD and a corporate marketing manager. which means boringness. which means less and less innovation even being attempted by the shop so they won't waste time & energy. which means the most talented people you've hired leave to start their own two-person shops so they can do the kind of innovative work they've always wanted while making more money. rinse and repeat.

there are some of those original splinter shops still around, and they are (and have been for years) pretty corporate in their tone-- a result of the allure of the ad agencys' big mainstream account invoices.

Edited by jaan

I know this is way off topic, but I wanted to agree with you about Belief... When I first found out about Motion Graphics, they were the first shop I came across. I was blown away... My biggest goal was to someday be good enough to move to LA so that I could work with Belief... But that dream has long faded and now when someone brings up Belief, I am like... eh? Just seems like they stopped in their tracks...

I was on 'hold' for belief this week... didnt turn out though.