Sign in to follow this  
jasfish

mograph.net RIP?

Probably a bit out of swagger with the whole topic, but I thought it might bare some relevance anyway.

I just have to wonder a bit, honestly, if age has anything to do with the sense of burnout... I've met a few guys here who were either exactly my age (26) or younger, in positions of reasonable responsibility. A friend of mine from college is an art director at 25 - and in a decent sized company at that. Some of the people here (NZ), when we got to talking, admitted that they hadn't done much, life experience wise, and you could see the bags under their eyes carried more than just fatigue.

I'm not trying to insinuate that some of the burnt out feeling folk here have done nothing with their lives or are too young to handle it, I just wonder if it plays any part at all.

To be completely honest, I only decided maybe 6 months ago that mograph was the area of this industry I was the most interested in - and decided to try and make a career of it if I could. Maybe it's my slack approach to things, but I don't think I could have personally come to this decision so firmly without my fairly enjoyed past. I certainly would NEVER have been able to do some of the things I have had I been completely immersed like my art director friend who has never even been out of the country.

Perhaps I put too much emphasis on travel, but it has done all the cliche things for me that everyone who travels talks about.

Opinions?

mograph.net reminds me a lot of postforum in it's best days (4-6 years ago).

CG Talk has to be more organized and restrictive, simply due to the much larger userbase and the cow is imo a pretty dead end forum with no real community, at least not in the parts of the cow i tend to visit.

I like to visit mograph.net mostly because people active here like to be competitive in beeing creative and helpfull not in "who creates the biggest stink?"

Cheers

Björn

2003 keeps popping up and I think a lot of that is because that's when the internet and mograph was really coming on. It seemed like there was something new or fresh posted almost every day. And a place like this where you could find all these great links in one place was a godsend.

Before you'd find the occasional reel online .. but not a ton of people had a web presence. All of a sudden everyone was posting all this cool shit and it just seemed like the birth of something new.

Now, it's old hat to those of us who have been around for awhile. Kind of like when you first start a new relationship. Mind-blowing and fresh at first .. greatest thing ever. After a few years it's more routine. The love hasn't disappeared .. it's just on a completely different comfortable level.

Kind of like when you first start a new relationship. Mind-blowing and fresh at first .. greatest thing ever. After a few years it's more routine. The love hasn't disappeared .. it's just on a completely different comfortable level.

like chris rock said: " you got to recycle the pussy"

Now, it's old hat to those of us who have been around for awhile. Kind of like when you first start a new relationship. Mind-blowing and fresh at first .. greatest thing ever. After a few years it's more routine. The love hasn't disappeared .. it's just on a completely different comfortable level.

so where's my mistress?

why can't we call Beaver "Angry Beaver" any more? I remember it being an attempt to play nice with someone being sensitive.

Whats the deal with Millenium? I love his tutorials on C4D mograph with his German accent, kinda makes them more fun. I was surprised and disappointed by harsh comments.

I had it changed myself when I was trying to drum up some business. I didn't want the "angry" to scare off any prospects... it's probably just me over-thinking things, but that's why it happened.

As for mograph, it's definitely not losing relevance. Since I've been here, I've met a lot of mographers personally, (tread, playerhater, frizzle, digimix, ona1r) and I chat regularly with many more members (govinda, juicysauce, oeffinger). I found my first job because of this board, and most of my freelance biz comes from people scouting this board. I know many people here can claim the same. That aspect of mograph is still intact, and that's why mograph is still the shit.

Only thing that sucks is that the people best suited to lead and moderate this forum, are also the people with the least time. I'm probably one of the least qualified myself, but at the time I was "moderatified" I just happened to be one of the most active. That definitely isn't the case now.

Anyway, if you think mograph is losing relevance, you are mistaken. It's as relevant as ever for networking, but probably not as good a content provider as feed or motionographer.

In the realm of critiques and work-posting, I think you just have to be selective in who you listen to. There's always great feedback, and there's always worthless garbage. The beauty of mograph is that you can look up everyone's post history (and often times their website) in a few clicks and separate the two. If you're worried about bad feedback ruining your rep, well, don't. If you post something worthwhile, one ridiculously bad comment isn't even going to be seen by the folks scanning mograph.net for fresh talent (see that guests number at the bottom of the page?)

Uh, so in summary, keep coming here, and don't add to the worthless garbage.

This reply is not for everyone, but for a specific behavior that I see growing each day in our communitie. Some kind of fear is taking over our field. The changes are not taking the general direction that everyone dreams about, and the almost artistic craft is mostly becoming a common activity for a lot of people.

uhhh! I think that it´s probably because motion design is not such a cool thing anymore. The glamour time has passed and with them the glamour boys.

Or maybe is the crowds theory the most valid one? If I go away together with all the other hookies mograph will be back to the kinky times and the remaining members will feel that life is special, because they are special, mostly because they feel like they make part of something special and unique for Very Important People only.

Oh my Lord guys. Get over it. It is not news that the reality of our field is changing very fast. Change along or change in another ways, but please make a change and lets stop bitching around.

Edited by Slot

I think it all comes in waves! I rememebr being at an MGLA (Dec 1999) and watched Imaginary Forces present The "The Avengers" maintitle sequence! Then the next month Belief was there showing there rebrand of the AXN network!!! I just think like all design art movements a group of people graduate school, start companies, or all work together for a time at the same company and do something amazing. Those are the people who want and can do something. Then there are others who don't want to run a shop and are happy working for a place and doing good work! After the newness of learning how things are done (AE, PSD, C4D) then it becomes a job. You try and bust something cool for the boards then after that the client gives notes and waters shit down, after a few years it just work and staying up all night to tryin' and figure shit (reading the maya manuals, and posting to the forums) out takes a back seat to playing Xbox and trying to hump chicks and drinking. It's like going to work at the ford factory, the first few weeks are fun then the next few decades are all about Miller time!

Edited by pixel_pimp

It's like goping to work at the ford factory, the first few weeks are fun then the next few decades are all about Miller time!

I believe that there are remarkable individuals, jobs and projects in each industry or field a human being can put his work on. Maybe we are having this discussion over the fall of the illusion that it takes only choosing motion design as a field to become a remarkable person. This illusion has endured enough and for some time gave to a lot of us fuel to go on, but it is time to make steps on reality. Maybe this can represent the death of a generation of thinking, but we are far away from the end of feeling the "magic" around motion graphics. But its going to take much more than just applying some 3d stroke/ particular easy preset, as it has been done until now. I believe that this just pops-up the level of creativity.

Guest Sao_bento

It's just that in the early 2000's this was a field that was ripe for the taking. Not much had really been done outside of a narrow aesthetic established by Robert Able and Harry Marks in the late 70's and early 80's when there were only three networks who spent all their time copying off of each other, so all the stuff looked the same. Then came a time where the new tools defined the look and everything had a soft drop shadow, but lacked real graphic design insight. Once there were more channels, there was more diversity and eventually the envelope began to fill up and started being pushed around the golden 2003 era. Since then, things have plateaued.

Yeah I guess the same could be said today. Everyone wants to Bite BUCK, BNS so everything is looking the same.

Or open a design book and randomly pick 3 things and combine them to form a new thing.

or

I think we need to send Morphis out to find "The One".

Just to add to what's already been said. I joined in 2003 and the board has steadily been losing its luster since. It sounds silly but discovering this board is one of the most important things that has happened to me. Not only have I made friends through this site but owe most of my knowledge of motion design to it as well.

Much can be made of the A-list studios not updating as much as they used to. Splinter groups doing their own thing. Superstar designers/posters leaving the nest. Regulars becoming jaded/busy/disinterested. All of these factors are out of our control.

In some ways, Mograph has improved. IF you post your reel and you somehow awake one of the Mograph Sages (Sao, Tread, Binky, Crabster, Beav, Gov, Seabass, Frizzle, 3rd, etc) and IF they have good things to say then you've got a winner. They don't often respond to lukewarm. Only hot or cold. On the other hand, if you get 300 views and the only responses you get are from other newbies saying things like "Cool." and "Nice work." then go back to the drawing boards. Interesting work solicits responses with substance.

Also, it's only recently that we've been meeting each other in the "real world". You're not a real man until you've been taunted by Firebetty in person.

While I do agree that there was a certain vibrancy and naivete to the 'early' years of motion graphics that -- by default -- can no longer exist, it seems that much of the energy here as of late has been focused on the negative byproducts of the industry at large and does not focus on the positive advancements that have happened over the past several years, both from a creative and technical standpoint.

Yes, ok, '03 saw a batch of good work. A lot of studios born of the dotcom crash and the folding giants were anxious to make a name for themselves, and they did. But I'd argue that the spectrum of work is much wider now than it was back then. Have there been many landmark pieces since '03? Sure, tons. But the first time is always the best, right? And, in many ways, it's boards like this and festivals like ResFest (etc.) that have contributed significantly to the popularization of motion graphics in mainstream television and film. In short, we've all contributed to the success of this industry, and also -- it seems -- our own self-deprication.

And that's our cycle: and idea is born, it becomes accepted, copied, gentrified, then dies. But what we have to realize is that this is the necessary course of any trend, and new trends and ideas cannot be nurtured in any other way. Of course, there are casualties along the way -- rising stars who have become disenfranchised or couldn't evolve past their one-trick pony. But it has also energized and empowered those who have remained as well as those just getting started.

Also, consider that many of the studios that came from that era had aspirations -- but not a ready opportunity -- to become something bigger. Not necessarily in terms of staff, but more so in scope of work. Now that technology has finally caught up, the past few years have seen a lot of those studios testing the waters with bigger & more ambitious projects. Where's Shynola? Pleix? StyleWar? Busy, I'm guessing. But I'm assured knowing that whatever they release next will be infinitely more complex and beautiful than what came before. Or, if it's not, I'll appreciate that they spent their time trying something new.

And I wish it would happen with more frequency, but the conundrum is that smaller numbers usually equals more creative control, but it also means less projects. And if your ambitions aren't proportionate to your staff...well, you do the math. Not that that invalidates the purpose or impact of this thread, but perhaps it helps shed light on the current state of affairs.

In contrast, studios like Motion Theory and Psyop have somehow, magically, found a way to explode yet still maintain their creativity on the commercial front. Unfortunately, a logo at the end of anything makes it less interesting, for any number of reasons. People cheer for underdogs and hate subsidy. But we should also be cheering for those who have been able to hijack mainstream television with provoking and interesting work. Without commerce, motion graphics would not exist, at least not in its current form. Nor would sites like this. Disagree? Do a Mograph search for Nam Jun Paik, Maya Deren or Stan Brakhage (trust me, it won't take long).

The point, I suppose, is that we write -- quite literally -- our own future. Critics and creators alike, this is a community small enough that all voices matter, and with that comes a certain personal responsibility and incentive to care. Instead of threads about industry burnout and fallen stars, I'd love to see fights over creative expression vs. commerce, art vs. design, Bass vs. Ferro, etc...

What about a Massive Mograph Stike, a flat times new roman, and the lilies pic of mypictures on windows,

http://ohglabs.com/newtrend/foxsports.mov

so the clients and directors, start to beg for whats inside our minds.

and then we will be in control

Or maybe the clients will do it all themselves, like they always did with Powerpoint. They'll be tomorrows star designers.

Why? How? Who? When?

We don't hate new people. What makes you think that?

But yeah, we're OG. So damn cool B):lol:;)

P.S.: You have some great 3D skills, loved the Powerball animation and the realtime cg modelling/mapping and the fluid (Realflow I guess) simulations.

Ha! New people love. There you have it!