Sign in to follow this  
jasfish

mograph.net RIP?

Crikey, I'm 40.2 and I'm still mographing, although nowhere near the level of many of the people here.

This sounds like good old burnout to me. 2003? Huh! What about the year KPT came out? Kai Krause posting chops (for photoshop before layers) and metacreations bringing books out and the communities and the blue sky discussions that took graphic design philosophy into new and uncharted territory and Goo and Soap and Bryce and . . . well, you get the picture. Like 2003, it felt as though you were involved in a cutting edge industry, pushing boundaries and discovering strange and wonderful new worlds.

Thing is, the stuff created then, the techniques, styles and technology all found their way into the mainstream, just as paint splatters and deer heads have. They are part of the visual language we all use everyday, their offspring are embedded in the very programs we use every day.

Ask yourself this question - why are you so disillusioned? Is it the software you're using? The process of production too boring? If it's the creative process itself, then welcome to the long-term real world of graphic design. Those that don't find new inspiration and recharge their batteries are the ones that fall by the wayside. And if you don't know how to do that, well perhaps a new career is not such a bad idea after all.

Amen. 30.5 over here.

Guest Sao_bento

I love the "we hate new people" vibe here! nice way to promote good topics i guess... I wish i was as cool as one of the "OGs" hah.

As posted before, we just hate new people who can't seem to muster up an intelligent post. Noobs are welcome to post intelligent and fully thought out statements or questions and usually recieve prompt help. Those who post stupid questions without making any attempt to learn on their own first or who fail to include the relevant information get clowned - as they should be.

Posting to this thread is now a 'rite of passage' for anyone wishing to be able to continue posting here. Hopefully after everyone (including myself) has thrown their 2 cents worth in, the post can just die. As you will notice creating and then bumping this thread could be a reason why "mograph.net seems to be losing steam"

**hears sound of steam leaking out...

Remember...in with the good air...out with the bad air

Yes, ok, '03 saw a batch of good work. A lot of studios born of the dotcom crash and the folding giants were anxious to make a name for themselves, and they did. But I'd argue that the spectrum of work is much wider now than it was back then.

Awesome post Ben, that's a lot of great points.

I have been reluctant to post, but I thought I would just keep it short. Mograph is one of the most influential sites I have come across in the last couple years. Thanks to everybody that has contributed, it has made my thirst for mograph unquenchable and pushed me to be the best that I can. There are definitely other sites that dish out the info and do a great job, but I didn't even know about those sites until I came here. It's hard to think of this place loosing it's luster, but I think burnout hits everyone.

I came across a quote on the web, "Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress." I would agree with Ben's assesments that the industry has diversified. Motion graphics had a huge boom in 2003, but I would argue that the work created now is just as good, but requires a lot more digging than just going to the reels section of Mograph or the Creme of the Crops section of Motionographer. I have seen some insane pieces featured on the pages of Motionographer for the last two years...and a lot of it by no-namers. Our restlessness and discontent about motion graphics are the only thing that will get us to the next level...to the next amazing phase. I know for myself...I have been pushed towards becoming an awesome mographer like a junkie hooked on heroin. The last two years have been one giant locker room peptalk pumping me up and encouraging me to run out into the market full force and do some crazy shit. I am suffering from the, "I want some of that" syndrome. And the more that influence is bouncing around, the more hunger there will be to be part of an industry that is just getting warmed up. I am excited to continue to learn around here from the very talented and helpful members. And I am also excited about getting out to LA, to become a larger part of the crazy work being done. Long live mograph!

Edited by BOY:1:DER