Sign in to follow this  
the_Monkey

C4D Hair and Sky

This is one short section of a piece I just finished for a multi-plasma display for a hotel .

It's supposed to be slow and sexy so don't expect any flying arrows, hip hop, or explosions.

I've made many sky shots in the past, but this is the first time using c4d's SKY and I was really diggin it.

It is also the first time I used Hair (for the palm leaves). Hair is really cool, but sooooo many buttons.

http://simplebox.org/files/mograph/w/Trees...2-mQT7-half.mov

-m

Something seems odd with how the flare color interacts with the palm leaves, though... like the flare is on top of the palms, but flickering like it is behind it.

I'd maybe try rendering the palms as a separate pass, putting the flare behind them and creating a little bit of light wrap in compositing. Just a thought.

Otherwise, I think it looks pretty spiffy.

pretty nice!

the thing that throws me off the most is the movement of the fronds, that could be toned down a bit; the way they almost twist upwards doesn't seem right, i'd expect them to mainly duck down further in the wind.

let me guess you are using the feather mode on several really long strands of hair?

Super smooooth, nice use of C4D's sky too, the cloud swirls looks really convincing.

Bizarrely I was working on a similar quickie job last week, link here. It's a background for an award ceremony so nothing much happens, it loops after around a minute (this is a shortened version) - the names of the award winners were added onto the right as they were announced. The logo of the company is a cartoony sun, hence the rather clumsy twirly rays.

Depressingly of course, it's nowhere near as classy :mellow:

Must be something about working in UK in November that makes people think of palm trees, beaches, soft waves... B)

Cheers - C

Edited by ChrisC

Guest Sao_bento

I wanna see the next ten seconds. Monkey's stuff always blows me away.

Yeah that's nice - I gotta find time to learn Hair better.

Hey everyone... thanks for the comments. I meant to reply to people's comments sooner but I finally got my copy of C4Dr10 and I kinda fell off the social planet. My girlfriend likes to condescendingly refer to it as a "toy", which I said was fine... as long as she never asked me whether I loved it more than her. ;)

Regarding the leaves: I spent forever on the leaves. I could get Feather to make the shape I wanted but could only get Hair to do proper dynamics. In the end I decided the specificity of the shape was more important than the motion. Each of the stems is placed via a Cloner Object and moving because of a random effector. Feather parameters were also adjusted, but whenever I tried to animate the Hair Material parameters they would "snap" as if they were suffering from some sort of low interpolation. I had deadlines to meet so I had to move on with what I had.

Regarding the flare: This was actually my first voluntary lens flare. It's composed of several layers and many keyframes because the leaves would wave too much in front of the sun. The flicker became so distracting that I decided to take control of it manually.

I decided to blend a greener and weaker version of the flare in front of the leaves... thinking maybe it might read as back-lit. From the comments, I'm guessing that didn't work so well.

Graymachine: If I would have used light wrapping instead this probably would have solved that flare problem by averaging out edges of the leaves. That's a good suggestion that hadn't occurred to me. To be quite honest I've never done it, but I think I remember seeing a couple threads about it. That's essentially softening the matte of your objects, right?

Chinaski: I'm almost never going for photorealism, but I'd be curious what you would have suggested. I rendered some palm trees that I think were far more realistic, but in the end... they didn't make the mood feel any sexier so I deviated. One of the primary reason's this scene lacks realism is because it is being illuminated only by the sky. When I added a single light with shadows the volumes and seculars on Hair totally jumped out.

Overall this project was really hands off. I wasn't even given any boards... just half a dozen motivational words and a brand packet. Because of the oversized nature of this display a lot of things have to show up in certain places because of the grid of the plasmas. Multi-plasma is also restrictive because of the obvious increase in file sizes. I always end up a little less satisfied on big stuff (until you see it big, then you forget about all the little shit).

I'll post one of my shoreline files in about 30 min.

-m

So I wanted some shore lines in this project and knew I wasn't going to have time to render a full TP solution. While it turned out this wasn't perfected in time for this project either, it's an excellent example of how to do something the "wrong way" and get decent results.

The timing and scale in this version weren't quite right yet, but the results are pretty damn good considering how simple this solution was. I did another version that uses particles and proximal shaders and more complicated textures to isolate specific waves. I can't share that version, but here is a basic setup for anyone who would like to play on their own.

Displacement_04f.jpg

-m

So I wanted some shore lines in this project and knew I wasn't going to have time to render a full TP solution. While it turned out this wasn't perfected in time for this project either, it's an excellent example of how to do something the "wrong way" and get decent results.

The timing and scale in this version weren't quite right yet, but the results are pretty damn good considering how simple this solution was. I did another version that uses particles and proximal shaders and more complicated textures to isolate specific waves. I can't share that version, but here is a basic setup for anyone who would like to play on their own.

Displacement_04f.jpg

-m

m,

is that a c4d 10 file?

wont load on my 9.

m,

is that a c4d 10 file?

wont load on my 9.

Yea it was... I'm not sure which parts of c4d are still backwards compatible.

This one uses the mograph module so I'm guessing that's the beef.

I'll post a v9.

-m

yo just out of curiousity, how do u keep landing these open ended jobs?

That's a really good question.

The simplest answer is that I freelance for studios that trust me... and they make a habit out of doing business with clients that trust them. It's not always like that, but I do my best to make sure it's a common goal. I would most always prefer getting boards, but I'm not afraid of the occasional free-form and it's definitely when I grow the most.

You may also notice that it's nearly impossible to do with broadcast. They want everything done yesterday and can easily waste half of the timeline checking it's progress. The fashion industry and high-end retail markets *really* want imaginative work and often don't know much about the process. For that reason they're more inclined to trust artists than a network or TV producer that know just enough about the process to slow it down.

Here's the v9 file.

It's just a displacement deformer that folds the polygons of two planes back on themselves.

-m

Light wrap: I usually do it like this.

1. Place a copy of the background on top (layer 1). Leaves would be layer 2.

2. On layer 1, apply Set Matte and use the Alpha of layer2.

3. Apply blur to layer 1 (this pushes the background color into the space of the foreground object)

4. Again, apply Set Matte to layer 1 (using layer 2 alpha) and Invert the matte. Uncheck "resize layer". (This chokes out the background and leaves only the spilled color inside the foreground.)

5. Play with blending modes and opacity to get the right look.

Cheap and easy. Works for a lot of applications.

Monkey,

Have you figured out how to use particle dynamics with the spline dynamics tag in hair?

I have tried everything without luck, I'll drag the force into the forces section and make sure include is selected but nothing ever happens....the manual is really sparse when it comes to actually walking you through that aspect of spline dynamics.

Monkey,

Have you figured out how to use particle dynamics with the spline dynamics tag in hair?

I have tried everything without luck, I'll drag the force into the forces section and make sure include is selected but nothing ever happens....the manual is really sparse when it comes to actually walking you through that aspect of spline dynamics.

figured it out, mine is a bit buggy and i have to parent the force and the spline into a null first, then i can unparent them and it still works. odd

Monkey,

I've had a few successful encounters with spline dynamics, but mostly to make simple things like stretchy ropes. You got an example or screenshot of what you're trying to do?

-m

EDIT: *groovy*

Edited by the_Monkey