Sign in to follow this  
The Mograph Bootlegger

The Mograph Bootleg

Guest spence

Looks like you scared him, the URL is down allready. I think some one should mail that guy some cease and decease letters just to shake him up a bit more.

Guest Sao_bento

I think the real danger for the original poster is getting massively sued by the RIAA, since all the demo reel tracks are ripped off copyrighted work of other artists. What does that say about those who made the reels? They thought it was okay to use someone elses music without their permission, but they turn around and complain that someone might use or profit from their work without permission.

I think the real danger for the original poster is getting massively sued by the RIAA, since all the demo reel tracks are ripped off copyrighted work of other artists. What does that say about those who made the reels? They thought it was okay to use someone elses music without their permission, but they turn around and complain that someone might use or profit from their work without permission.

You really know how to bring the conversation full circle...

Guest bne meyrs

This really puts stealing music into perspective, doesn't it?

Anybody want the new Jay-Z album??? :)

Edited by bne meyrs

of course there's plenty of room for argument but I really don't think a lawsuit would go anywhere. ...after all there's likely not much money being generated here and not much demonstrable damages. also, the copyright owners are usually end clients and you don't think that mcdonalds is going to sue anyone for distributing their commercials on a small scale.

On the other hand, I personally wouldn't enjoy lawyers sending me letters. You might at least put a disclaimer that you will remove work on request of the copyright owner and or the creator. After all, you do actually like these guys I hope.

But the more important issue is that if you've been downloading mograph reels for the last 7 years, and you have to charge people for DVDs, it might be good for you to take a hiatus. Really, if you have time for this, you're not spending enought time one your own work. If I were you, I'd take a month off work, unplug the internet, and get to work sending out DVDs with your own work on them. (You might not charge $30 for them though)

Good Luck

Guest Sao_bento

of course there's plenty of room for argument but I really don't think a lawsuit would go anywhere. ...after all there's likely not much money being generated here and not much demonstrable damages. also, the copyright owners are usually end clients and you don't think that mcdonalds is going to sue anyone for distributing their commercials on a small scale.

On the other hand, I personally wouldn't enjoy lawyers sending me letters. You might at least put a disclaimer that you will remove work on request of the copyright owner and or the creator. After all, you do actually like these guys I hope.

But the more important issue is that if you've been downloading mograph reels for the last 7 years, and you have to charge people for DVDs, it might be good for you to take a hiatus. Really, if you have time for this, you're not spending enought time one your own work. If I were you, I'd take a month off work, unplug the internet, and get to work sending out DVDs with your own work on them. (You might not charge $30 for them though)

Good Luck

I think if you look at the lawsuits the RIAA pursues, it's really not far fetched to think they'd take a no-brainer like this.

awesome, some of the ideas outline were some of the ideas I was hoping to raise.

If I was to upload these files to some torrent storage place or mirror site for free download (which I'm willing to do) would you still have a similar view? or if I said - send me 2 blank DVDs, a case to hold them, a label to put on it, and postage cost and I'll burn them for you and post 'em and charge you $10 for the effort?

When someone posts downloadable content on a website without any usage rights or terms and conditions posted (like most of us do with our demo reels) what exactly is the legal precedence? I searched wikipedia and the law is about as clear as mud. I don't think this guy is particularly doing this maliciously, although clearly he is going beyond any kind of fair use law by reselling.

There is no malice intended and I actually can't think of anyway that this could be detrimental to the original maker. But, I'll outline for you the exact moment where this becomes an infringement of copyright. At the moment the file is copied. You literally have to get the rights from the owner to copy (which in this case is impossible to get from 1000 sources). So that's what make this a bootleg.

I think some one should mail that guy some cease and decease letters just to shake him up a bit more.

I've actually been waiting for some sort of letter to see where their objection would be placed, just out of interest. The point of most of these files is to distribute them to as many people as possible, tv commercials, showreels etc. The point of suing is usually to reclaim losses, which in this case, there are none. The files were never available for commercial release, and were made freely available on the web. This though is no real defense. I would assume the real issue is taking something without the makers knowledge and selling it for a profit. (and there's not much profit, there are much better ways of making a dollar) If it were possible to get the materials for free and not spend any time to produce the item, then I'd happily make it free. I guess one of the questions for me was how to distribute and promote these works further than individual web pages scattered throughout the ether.

I'd also be surprised if the site lasted longer than a week or two. But I'm more interested in initiating a response.

I know that none of my work is on that disc, so that probably discounts my opinion. But I'm going to give it anyway.

What the hell is the big deal? As far as commercials and other promotional pieces, I believe the rights to redistribute belong to the clients who funded them not the designers. And I sincerely doubt they're going to have a problem with someone giving them free playtime. And as far as showreels, why would you have a problem with someone promoting your business?

This will probably make me really unpopular, but who cares if he's making a measly profit? He's not claiming to have produced any of this. He's not taking money out of anybody's pocket. Who is being hurt by this?

They thought it was okay to use someone elses music without their permission, but they turn around and complain that someone might use or profit from their work without permission.

Well put.

I would assume the real issue is taking something without the makers knowledge and selling it for a profit. (and there's not much profit, there are much better ways of making a dollar)

you should be dl-ing pr0n. you could resell it for more.