Sign in to follow this  
J-Bird

"Banana Ghost" music video

Hey fellow mographers. Thought I'd share my second animated music video with you. Don't know if anyone's familiar with the musical group Man Man but they basically asked me to pick any song from there last album "Six Demon Bag" and do whatever I wished with the video. Not often one is granted complete creative freedom like that. I spent about eleven months "moonlighting" on the project. Let me know what you think.

Man Man - "Banana Ghost"

banana_ghost_still.jpg

thats sweet man. The only issues I noticed were:

- One of the little dancing guys at the start seems to jerk back into place at the end of his loop, the start and end frames don't match or something. He's the little guy in the garbage can (i think, i can't remember now, something like that) dancing to the beat. Maybe you did it on purpose since the rest of the movements are so clean. I dunno.

-Near the end, you zoom out from the guys hair and show a sideshot of him singing again, except his mouth doesn't really match the words this time around.

That's the only errors I noticed (if they were errors). That's a cool style man, and a very strange song. Nice work.

I really like the music! I thought the animation concept and execution were sound for the vast majority of it. The middle lulled a bit, but it did in the music as well so that's probably what I was noticing. As biggie said also, some of the mouth movements seemed out of time, but maybe it was intentional? It would seem inconsistent with the beginning where the character's mouth moves pretty much right on with the music though.

The characters and the style were very cool and it looked like a lot of work! Did you have to do much of the drawing yourself? The mix of characters was the most compelling part for me.

The only other things I noticed was a pan-back shot of the trees and castle with a girl in it (nice hair animation!) at 45 seconds. The castle/tower thing is the only thing that's not black and white, but blueish. The bottoms of the trees on the pan-back are also clipped and noticeable.

Very cool animation and song

Thanks for the comments fellas.

Biggieboy, you got me on the 1st dancing guy. It wouldn't be too hard to fix, but in watching how the piece flows I started thinking that it didn't actually make any difference. I actually think that some "rough edges" like a broken loop can benefit an animation that might otherwise seem too polished. The messy parts are some of what I liked best when doing stop-motion in the past.

While the lyrics themselves are essentially love poetry, they seem to me to be coming from the mind of a man driving himself crazy obsessing over a lover who has either shut him out completely or perhaps only exists in his head where the chorus of vagabond lice dwell. I wanted the viewers experience of this world to breakdown a little bit just before the final death shot, where the protagonist has completely beat himself up... so the slipped lip-sync near the ending was intentional. Whether or not it works as intended is really for everyone else to decide. It pleases me anyway. ;)

Lompoc42, to answer some of your questions: the slight bit of color (and the pace change) on the castle with the woman was added to make her stand out more. She's treated a bit differently than the protagonist or the vagabond lice. I wanted her to seem very removed, very still and distant... yet she is the obsession, her distance being his primary source of pain.

The womans hair and the forest tracking shot were some of the most difficult parts to animate. The hair simply took A LOT of noodling and experimenting to get it the way I wanted. But the track back from the castle through the woods was one of the hardest 3D elements for me; not that I'm unfamiliar with working with cameras in AE, but the whole sequence seemed riddled with odd behavior. I was originally working on a dual 827 G4 with AE 6.5 and After Effects simply wouldn't allow me to pull the camera back any further than I did. The camera goes from -1136.3893 (on the z axis) to -334966.1419. Some strange anamalies seemed to start rearing their ugly head. I started getting some really unexpected results when rendering, like trees properly situated in the Z space suddenly popping through a hill infront of it, etc. The results were different with each render and would often radically change if I simply removed or added another tree! I think it was because of two things: first, the older system... and second, some really large graphics and pre-comps. The tree graphic is used 236 times. Each tree is a psd at 1381 x 2079 pixels, which was then increased in scale in the composition by 4,287% in order to properly match the size of the elements set up before it. The stained glass window in front of the woman is 3336 x 5112 pixels. Just the woman in the castle window is 2536 x 4312 pixels and comprised of 130 layers! I'm sure there could have been better ways to go about it but after upgrading to a 2.5 GB Quad G5 and some serious layer finagling, I had a complex forest tracking shot that worked well enough for me.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and compliments on the video. Keep 'em comin' !!!!

It looks like quite an undertaking. The look is very interesting and seems to mesh well with the style of their music. I think you did a nice job with it overall.

There were only a few things that I think could be enhanced. Im not sure if it was intentional, but all the different black and white levels were too inconsistent for my taste. The contrast of rich black to washed out grays distracts from the piece in my opinion. I also agree with the above comments about the additional colors you introduced, like the yellowish tint in the woman in the windows skin as well as the blue in the castle. I think it might be interesting to try and limit it to 1 color in addition to the stark black and white. In using 1 color (or monochromatic) throughout the piece would place the emphasis on certain aspects of the story as you desire.

Anyway, I think overall it is a nice piece and I am glad you shared.

Looks great.

FREAKING Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

my only comment is t use levels on some...not all of the illustrations.

Some seemed a bit too washed out. I know they are not suppose to be pushed back....because the character needs to stand out, but alittle midtone or crushing the levels might help.

man... very cool... very original... the music and video are in good harmony.... I only didn´t understand when the man kiss the womans hand... at first they are outside... and suddenly they are inside the house re re... i didn´t understand this moviment...

congratulations...

Awesome work. Looks great. Terry Gilliam would be proud. The low contrast didn't bother me at all. The only thing that I would say, if something in your composition is a conscience decision sometimes you have to push it so it looks that way otherwise it could be construed as a mistake... i.e. the slightly tinted color of the lady to make her stand out... just push the saturation, so we know as the audience that she is supposed to stand out. Or if the lip synch is intentionally out of sync at the end... make it really really out of sync so the audience knows it's intentional, esp if we have seen it in sync at the begining.

As far as the track, you couldn't ask for a better bit of music to sync animation too. I Bet you are sick of listening to it by now though :D

Preaching with the choir here... great undertaking and very smoothly executed..

If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get all of the elements you worked with for this piece?..

did you piece together the little lice creatures yourself or were they already drawn that way in your original assets?

very awesome stuff.. keep it up!

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. In looking back on the work now, I'd have to agree with invisibleElement, okdonald & fletty about the B&W levels... at least in a few spots (especially around 57 secs).

It's funny but I never really feel satisfied with any finished work. Actually deciding when something's finished is another big issue for me. I tend to be a perfectionist with most things. It's hard to call it wraps on projects sometimes. When I edited my first feature doc (on a 500 lb, 16mm Intercine flatbed) I found myself still cutting and tweaking sequences 2 1/2 years later. I literally had to step away from the project for a while to "clear my vision."

I only didn´t understand when the man kiss the womans hand... at first they are outside... and suddenly they are inside the house re re... i didn´t understand this moviment...

congratulations...

Luis, I envision the protagonist as disoriented by his own psychosis. What is real or imagined for him isn't supposed to be entirely clear.

Awesome work. Looks great. Terry Gilliam would be proud. The low contrast didn't bother me at all.

Thanks. And thanks again.

The only thing that I would say, if something in your composition is a conscience decision sometimes you have to push it so it looks that way otherwise it could be construed as a mistake... i.e. the slightly tinted color of the lady to make her stand out... just push the saturation, so we know as the audience that she is supposed to stand out. Or if the lip synch is intentionally out of sync at the end... make it really really out of sync so the audience knows it's intentional, esp if we have seen it in sync at the begining.

I agree with you that one needs to push their conscient decisions in a work a bit further sometimes for these reasons... but I generally feel that too many creators disavow any trust in the intelligence of their potential audience. What usually results is a "spoon-fed" finished work.

As far as the track, you couldn't ask for a better bit of music to sync animation too. I Bet you are sick of listening to it by now though :D

I agree about the music. Man Man is great. And suprisingly, no... I'm not sick of the "Banana Ghost" track!

Preaching with the choir here... great undertaking and very smoothly executed..

If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get all of the elements you worked with for this piece?..

did you piece together the little lice creatures yourself or were they already drawn that way in your original assets?

very awesome stuff.. keep it up!

I integrated lithography from two time periods - 19th century woodcuts and the absolutely amazing woodcuts believed to have been made by the French artist François Desprez in the 16th Century (originally published in a 1565 publication called 'Les Songes Drolatiques de Pantagruel').

BMT_3540_2.jpg

Cheers everyone!

Hello,

Congratulation for your job.

I love it.

I have a job to do for a french agency.

I would like to use the same kind of graphics you used for your music video.

some old stuff from the 18 century.

Could you please, give me some direction where to find these images, on the web.

Or shoul i just go to a library and buy some books?

detomaso

While there is validity to some of the comments pertaining to the animation, sometimes it is easy to lose sight of the bigger picture; that fresh ideas, a strong concept, and a really great, unified design aesthetic are what really matter in the end. By these measures, this is a great and memorable work. There is just too much tired, insipid, and visually dull motion work out there; it is refreshing to see someone further advance and elevate the medium.