Sign in to follow this  
staf27

More Freelance Fee Issues

There seems to be alot of different types of motiongraphics individuals out there, but I have a question pertaining to the New York and west coast arenas.

What do mograph designers make? By that I mean the person who designs the stuff and animates it.

It seems so many I know people get handed a photoshop file and have at it....

:) I'm sure there are alot of variables but when you roll into a shop as a freelancer, should you be at $95.00 per hour or...should you be at $1800.00 per day...Basically out of all this yack whats the average in these to locals for a person who can create and animate?

There seems to be alot of different types of motiongraphics individuals out there, but I have a question pertaining to the New York and west coast arenas.

What do mograph designers make? By that I mean the person who designs the stuff and animates it.

It seems so many I know people get handed a photoshop file and have at it....

:) I'm sure there are alot of variables but when you roll into a shop as a freelancer, should you be at $95.00 per hour or...should you be at $1800.00 per day...Basically out of all this yack whats the average in these to locals for a person who can create and animate?

show me your portfolio, and i'll tell you how much i would pay you.

show me your portfolio, and i'll tell you how much i would pay you.

who does your hair? I like it.

In regards to the first post, I don't know of myself or anyone else I know ever working for an hourly wage. It's all been day rates and half-day rates.

I second that motion for $1800 a day, but only for an 8 hour day, if they want anything else it's automatic jump to $2400.

Guest Sao_bento

One guy at the local nycmg.org told me it's about $75.00 per hour for someone who does not know 3D but does AE, but some say thats way low.

In case you're not picking up on it, no one is in a big hurry to tell you how much they make, so you're getting jerked around quite a bit. There have also been many many many threads on this subject already.

I was not asking people to tell me how much they make... I was asking what are normal rates....

Some people work in combustion, AE, Shake, Fusion...etc. I was just wondering whats the point where its to low and what's the high end. Most designers know of people that on the high end get xx amount of monies and on the low end we all hate those guys that underbid us by charging a little more than min wage right. There's got to be an average somewhere.

I've even know of flash animators making $75 p/h....yeah I know.

I was not asking people to tell me how much they make... I was asking what are normal rates....

Some people work in combustion, AE, Shake, Fusion...etc. I was just wondering whats the point where its to low and what's the high end. Most designers know of people that on the high end get xx amount of monies and on the low end we all hate those guys that underbid us by charging a little more than min wage right. There's got to be an average somewhere.

I've even know of flash animators making $75 p/h....yeah I know.

SHOW

US

YOUR

PORTFOLIO.....

Guest J.J. Johnstone

then i think the 1800 a day thing is not for you.

Where is your online portfolio Ryan?

...and how much do you get paid?

Edited by J.J. Johnstone

in all seriousness, the going rate for an accomplished motion graphics designer in NY or LA is about $400-500 a day... more if you've been around awhile and know your ish. The amount of hours that entails just depends on the day. I've worked for 16 hours, and I've worked for 6. Just depends. I usually average about 8 though, I suppose.

but you probably won't get anything with out an online portfolio. (( <_< )) shame on you

Usually intermediate AE Combustion guys earn 50K-70K salary if they are good. Freelancers in New York that are hot can get $65-$90 an hour. I've been a creative manager for about 5 years, we prefer guys that can design their own work.

Sorry about the kids, someone should have stepped up.

I agree with Tread here - $1800 a day is sick! $500 is pretty median cost in NY & LA - whoever is making $1800 a day I want to know where they liva and what excatly they do! There was one guy in NY where I freelanced for a while who had about 15 years experience and I think he was making almost 1k a day. $1800 is over 400k a year!

pay is a naturally unstable and unpredictable thing. from what i understand there are three variables at play:

where you are,

how much you are worth,

how much you think you are worth

your original post says 'west coast' but surely you must mean LA. LA and New York are interchangeable in terms of potential for high paying gigs. If we're not talking about these two cities than the last two variables become far less important.

*a lot of this is theorizing, in general, knowledge of these things comes from experience and knowing people with experience. and you're gonna have to find that in the real world, not on mograph. good luck!

you can easily find AE animator/designer jobs that pay 400-500 / day in flyover country.

I know for a fact that in Tulsa, Houston, Dallas, St. Louis, Denver, and many other "heartland" cities you can command that.

Obviously you need to be freelancing to get that, but they are out there in abundance.

but as stated in my earlier post.....I'd take $1800 :)

Edited by mamurphy