Sign in to follow this  
Guest mig

Magic Bullet

Guest mig

So one of my colleagues finally got it past management to buy Magic Bullet. We've been experimenting with it the last few days but GOOD LORD is it slow!

I'm not talking 'finger tapping c'mon you bloody machine' slow I'm talking 'go away and get some groceries' slow.

Now, if we were using it to get NTSC footage to 24p I would sort of understand, but we're using progressive PAL footage (no interlacing, no pulldown necesarry) and just basically using the look suite and the deartifacting. But even without deartifacting it's horribly horribly slow. Nice results yes, but damn!

Now, I heard this is quite normal for MB, what the hell is it programmed in? Hypercard?

FM, what are your experiences? I heard you were checking out digital film lab? Any good?

Guest firemind

Yeah it is very very slow :( But damn are those presets nice ;)

Digital Filmlabs is nice, it has a cheesier feel to it (presets kinda suck) but it gives you enough conytrol over each look element to get custom looks. Faster than MB tho.

Last I heard they were working on a seperate looksuite plug-in, so that other host apps could use it too. Let's hope that's a lot faster too. Imagine being able to use that baby in combustion :)

Guest memyselfandi

Totally agree, it's way too slow to be usefull really. I still do it on my own, and even though it takes some time to set up, I kinda make up for it when rendering. Let's hope the future versions of MB are way faster.

Guest firemind

Returning tofilmlab and while it does a decent bleach bypass it misses the easy concept of presets like magic bullet has.

Let's hope the stand alone look suite is substantially faster :oops:

Guest Nhowe

Any of those preset looks (LOOKSUITE) can be done with simple curves and blurs. i have never ended up using MB on a project because of calculation time. It is a waste of money IMO

Guest SermonOfMockery

in my limited experience i also thought that the look suite settings were easily duplicated with levels/curves as well. i have been told that you really see the most results when your project is transferred to film, but since i've never worked on a film project i can't speak on that.

Guest PlayerHater

i tried it out when it first came out, back in college, left it on render for 2 days and i stopped it, it had only done a couple of seconds. very glad i didnt pay for it.

Guest isotropy

I've used MB on a few projects in the past, and yeah, it's definately a 'let it render overnight... or for a day or two' kind of plugin. I used it most recently on a local music video that was shot on digibeta, and the results turned out pretty good.

Guest renascent

i use it all the time and love it, guess it really depends on your system power cause it flies on my system...

Guest Sao_Bento

I see the Orphanage is hawking 3D Studio Max now too.

http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/3dsmax.php?id=944

Weren't they just talking about how great Maya was on Macs (during the production of the first Bubba Sparxxx video) before they went on to say how After Effects was waaayyyyyy better if it was running on a PC (in an add that was disguised as an article)?

Who woulda thought corporate whores don't make good software?

If we put our money together, we could get them to sing and dance (while lipsyncing) a song about how cool Mograph.net is.