Sign in to follow this  
Mike D

Another round | I'm back!

stop relying on what others think and go with what you like. In the end it's yours not mine or anyone elses who post here...you're not gonna buy a car with specifications that I want for yourself are you? This is yours not ours.

stop relying on what others think and go with what you like. In the end it's yours not mine or anyone elses who post here...you're not gonna buy a car with specifications that I want for yourself are you? This is yours not ours.

It's not about buying a car, it's about selling a car.

With a website you want to attract new clients, so you should care what your site communicates to others.

yeah but he's relying more on others critiques and complaints than what he wants imo. It's one thing to ask for help and ideas...but to keep changing it to get a positve review is a little overboard no?

Hey Mike,

I agree with most of what was said here, though I can't compare it to your previous page since I haven't seen it. However, I think the article that Binky links to is very valuable though, especially "12. Misusing Flash."

Things that will improve the page, in my opnion, are:

1. A skip intro button, (or hell, no intro at all). I count 15 seconds after loading before any actual content appears. That's a no-no, unless the animation is cream-of-the-crop quality. I think there's a general rule out there that you have about 5 seconds to grab the attention of the user, so make that time count!

2. Taking the cooler parts of the page, and integrating them into the actual splash page would be cool. I think the character with the hair blowing would be a cool element to have looping on the splash page.

Why not get rid of the giant paralax scroll and just have the form and logo load?

3. The rollover for "A New Beginning" needs work too- it "jumps" backwards when rolling off. I think it will work better if the rollOver is quick, say 3 or 4 frames, and the rollOut is slower, say 8-10 frames.

4. If you insist on keeping the giant animation, why not do it in after effects to get better depth of field, motion blur, and (probably) a smaller file size if it's compressed properly?

5. One suggestion for your embed code too- I would use Geoff Stearns' swfobject to embed code ( http://blog.deconcept.com/2006/08/03/swfobject-144-released/ ). This tool enables you to put searchable content "behind" Flash.

Edited by daveglanz

If I was one of your prospective clients, I would have closed the site. Immediately.

I feel like no matter what we say you are going to return without taking any of our feedback under consideration. That may be a big reason why everyone is out for blood. I do admire your courage for posting again though.

Edited by palmer

Out for blood? I had no idea it was that bad. I cant wait to post the site when its done (01.01.07)

BTW Your picture scares me palmer -- you cant trust someone with a haircut like that.

Edited by Mike D

It needs to be, like, x10 faster.

This is what? An animated intro to... nothing? C'mon man.

rule #1 - no animated intros

in order to avoid breaking rule #1, either have the animation load NEXT to the form, or ABOVE the form, etc.

at the very very least please don't force your viewer to watch 15 seconds of something. they will be annoyed.

1. stop tweening stuff in flash, if you dont have AE, to do the animation learn how to use code to get better motion

2. a majority of people have lost interest in animated site intros, with faster connectivity comes the need for faster information gathering process, hence people find the intro annoying at best.

3.look at some of the top design firms sites, if they are animated, it comes after a still splash page and always an option to skip