Sign in to follow this  
Guest firemind

Abstract 3D

Guest firemind

Personally I still dig the clever stuff tho, renascent, pleix, tom muller et all. I just can't staaaaaand the digital vision type crap.

Guest renascent

reading you posts around this board ill just take it you dont like that particular style.

you can pretty much ask the question to anything... grung, minimal, vector, etc...

there are good and bad examples in each style, it truly depends what the artist/designer does with it.

who likes pink, extruded text for a logo and a motionblur behind the text?

;P

Guest firemind

It's not that I dislike it, it's that there's this huge flood of images by incapable ppl floating around right now.

Sorta like the whole Dave McKean rip-off "digital photoshop art" thing a few years back.

Guest renascent

""Well, after the Friends of Ed book, the cheesy Digital Vision stock CDs""

knowing most of those people i can tell you they are all very capable... who are you to judge on those 15 years olds, maybe theyre just having fun... let it be.

personaly im tired of said style myself (in means of zero concept, just blow up a few shapes and add typo), youll find people pushing it forward...

in short a post like yours results in nothing positive.

Guest firemind

Who knows, maybe wake some ppl up to try something fresh?

It's purely selfish I'll admit though, nothing like watching a reel that makes you go 'hmmm, damn, I hadn't thought of that!' as a kick in the butt. :-)

Guest renascent

also if this is a motion graphics board, why do you bring this up?

may i ask what your own work is and were we can view it?

Guest firemind

Due to a crappy hosting situation (do *not* host at createspace.net) my sites are offline. Thx to a generous buddy I could move this domain to his account for the time being.

Anyway, I'm a new media designer by day @ an e-learning company, hoping to switch over to video/broadcast soon.

Guest igorschmigor

it´s true, there really is an enormous flood of abstract 3d stuff that follow a certain look, giving me the feeling of deja-vu over and over again. It is being so overused that people are bound to become sick of it sooner or later. But abstract 3d in general can be so much more than what we have seen so far. I believe that some people that are currently following the trendy look will evolve and develop totally new great aesthetics using abstract 3d in a different way.

By the way not all digitalvision stuff is cheesy. On the infinity-CD they feature a few of the greater people in that field such as Mike Young (www.designgraphik.com), Sean Rodwell (www.aeriform.co.uk) and others.

Guest Sao_Bento

Personally, when I'm designing something, I have ideas that I know won't work for the final product but I still have to work through them to find the idea that will work. I look at all the trendy stuff the same way. The industry as a whole just has to do a look to death in order to be able to move beyond it.

One positive part about abstract 3d is that at least it's got designers using 3D software for something other than another failed attempt at photorealizim or character animation.

Hopefully one day the 3D companies will recognize this and start gearing their software towards workflow rather than spending all their time adding web and character animation features to appeal to the hobbiest market.

Guest igorschmigor

sorry renascent, i forgot to mention you; digital fusion features some of your stuff too. Didn´t mean to diss you by not mentioning you in the list of "greater artists" on the digital fusion stock-cd´s, i just wasn´t aware. So please regard yourself as added to the list of non-cheesy digital fusion-artists.

edit: don´t know why i kept writing digital fusion, of course i meant digital vision. Must be ged´s fault.

Guest govinda

It's useful to define terms. 'Abstract' as a term has come to be associated with some awful dookie. The stuff I call abstract comes off as self-absorbed, meaningless dribble, usually against black, and there are a lot of shards, some kind of explosion in the middle, a lot of implied motion, transparency all over, type saying some gibberish that cries out to be seen as profound, maybe some razor-thin white vectors, a faded-out grid, and Attik's on the phone and they want their 1999 reel back. That stuff is absolutely played out. The word abstract is past saving now--it's just too weighted by association with poo-poo.

Of course, soon, the flat, reverse trompe l'oeil look of Brand New School will be just as played. If not already. Shame, I just figured out some great shaders for it. Ditto for the strobe-effect of MK12, Nando Costa, GMunk and others (which is probably going away sooner).

But what I saw on Renascent's reel looked like something else. It's not even fair to call it abstract; it's much more skilled. The hair-like 3d effect surrounding the dancer is something I've only ever seen done by psyop...a much more rare effect that shouldn't be debased by the term 'abstract.' Psyop did this effect to mimic graffiti. I'm wondering if it's an XSI thing.

-govinda

Guest nitrofurano

The main meaning i have in mind about abstract 3d are mostly random vectorial shapes with flat (opaque or transparent) colours, tending to a minimalist imagetic

But when i try to look at them from google or alltheweb thumbnails i mostly only can see crappy fancy stuff (not offending hobbist democracy...(?)) , mostly amateur (mostly 3dStudio stuff with photoshop filters)

Do someone know who are the main authors of the best work you know, where can i see from url links, and so on?

Some interesting illustration work i got from a portuguese pdf collecting project named Camouflage (weird name for a portuguese project...)

Hopefully one day the 3D companies will recognize this and start gearing their software towards workflow rather than spending all their time adding web and character animation features to appeal to the hobbiest market.

This is telling the right thing in the wrong way - the innovative software (and their quality) depends completelly on us, and it's named Open-Source!!! (we don't need to wait for software features, when helping for free software we can get legally for free (multiplatform and open as well!), is less slower and provides better results - for example CinePaint is an example against Photoshop, since afaik you can't work over animations on Photoshop as easy as with CinePaint, and in vectorial world we soon will get very good surprises from InkScape when compaired with Freehand, Illustrator, Flash and so on... - Open-Source projects (mainly also published at http://sourceforge.net) normally has wiki-pages, phpbb-forums, and so on, recepting all useful ideas we may have for helping their development - anyway, projects like Blender and Povray projects are there, waiting kicks for improvements...) - Waiting for licenced apps having new features? For this you must wait them copying open-source apps, and later, pay for them...

Guest Sao_Bento

If i understand you right, and you're looking for quality examples of "abstract 3D", look in the reels section at Magengraphics and also try a google for Kent Oberau.

PS, Did you notice that the last post before yours was two years old?

Guest Papri

First: New style/new technique

Next : People go whow

Next : Everyone jumps on it

Next : Overkill of said style/technique

Next : People get tired of it

Finally : Style/technique becomes one of the many options. (Good) People learn to apply it when useful.

It's not that hard. It's history repeating itself over and over again. And yes, we'll reach the final stage... also this time.

Guest pixel_pimp

Damn it!!! I just figured out how to make abstract 3d. I better learn the paint drip trick next. And add a deer. I need to find a new job soon! Ha~!