Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sao_Bento

After Effects 8 on track for Spring 2007!

Guest Sao_bento

Exclusive: Adobe Systems Inc. plans to introduce a major update to its After Effects motion graphics and visual

effects production software in the spring of 2007, according to a company roadmap viewed by AppleInsider.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2297

I don't think this really comes as a surprise to anyone.

I also think everyone knows how I feel about Adobe by now, so I won't bother soiling the internets once again. :angry:

Who else here thinks the UB should be a free upgrade? Developers have had intel macs for how long now?

This update better be more than just UB. I'm still waiting for node-based compositing. Some more 32-bit compatability would be expected as well.

why look for node-based operation in an application designed to be used in layers?

get an app that is designed to be used that way, theres plenty to choose from.

besides, shake is ony 500 bucks now.

(assuming, of course, that you have a mac...)

why look for node-based operation in an application designed to be used in layers?

get an app that is designed to be used that way, theres plenty to choose from.

Layers are fine and good, it's just that sometimes it seems like I end up precomposing and duplicating layers alot in AE.

I've got plenty of apps that are node-based, but they use AE at work. I've seen the goodness of non-linear compositing and think that AE would benefit from it.

Layers are fine and good, it's just that sometimes it seems like I end up precomposing and duplicating layers alot in AE.

I've got plenty of apps that are node-based, but they use AE at work. I've seen the goodness of non-linear compositing and think that AE would benefit from it.

While the concept is nice in theory, I tend to agree with misanthrope on this one. The addition of node based compositing in AE will be limited at best, and most likely an issue that will hamper the all around use of AE.

Basically, I don't think Adobe has the moxy to pull it off correctly given their current track record.

Have you ever seen a 200 layer project in a node based program?? Not exactly the funnest thing to play around with.

This past January, the San Jose, Calif.-based software developer released a feature-packed update in Adobe After Effects 7.0. That version introduced a re-designed, unified user interface, accelerated high-fidelity OpenGL 2.0 support, and a comprehensive set of Flash Video (FLV) export capabilities.

and Product Activation and Adobe Bridge compatiblity - feature packed indeed.

Adobe also holds plans to deliver an early public beta of its highly anticipated Creative Suite 3.0 software bundle for both the Mac and Windows later this month.

The beta release, which will pack developmental versions of popular Adobe applications like Photoshop and Illustrator, will be available as a download to current license holders of Creative Suite 2.0 as early as this week, sources have said.

I guess if you got rid of your Quality Assurance department in 1998 then having users do the job for you isn't a bad idea.

Funny thing is that someone posted AE 8 on the cow and the Admins pulled the thread. Odd.

Node Based:

I LOVE node based compositing for VFX where it's best used. For "Photoshop in motion" like AE is, keep the nodes away. Big mistake me thinks to try and make a one compositor solves all problems. Then it would be a Spork.

I don't see how adding a node window would remove anything from the layers functionality. It would be a very welcome addition for me.

Having a UB version is all I really want at this point.

For "Photoshop in motion" like AE is, keep the nodes away. Big mistake me thinks to try and make a one compositor solves all problems. Then it would be a Spork.

completely agree

i don't do much compositing so i'm no expert, but it seems like a node-based interface isn't the best for animation... or so it seems from looking over the shoulder of my co-worker that does a lot of stuff in combustion (he's a former flame guy).

I don't see how adding a node window would remove anything from the layers functionality.

I'm no software engineer, but if you were to fully utilize the benifts of nodes then you are overriding the layer stack. Unless you do it like the DS where you have a node tree inside of every layer. So if you were using AE in node mode you would basically have one layer and all node functions would be inside of that. But then if you wanted to do motion graphics in node mode you are back to the weakness of Shake or Fusion which is you have to explicitely add position nodes, Scale nodes, Rotation nodes, fade nodes (opacity), matte/roto nodes just to give you the functionality of one single AE layer to start with. And if you are doing VFX work where you only want to use very specific nodes in a specific tree, then AE's layer stack is a bitch because trudging through precomps and copy/pasting masks and matte's instead of branching them off one node is arduous.

So in the end, I would want them as two seperate pieces of software. I do admit that I love using the DS for VFX compositing and basic online work, but I ONLY use it in node mode for effects and all mograph work is done in AE and rendered and brought back into DS because it's layer mode is a turd.

If you just add a node window that doesn't let you rearrange anything or best of all to put an end to pre-composing, then you will have what AE already has which is the overview page that looks "Nodish" but isn't good for much.

Guest Sao_bento

Can anyone name an app that uses nodes & layers effectively? To my knowledge, there are none.

The Flame/Inferno stuff isn't effective?

The Flame/Inferno stuff isn't effective?

Didn't think about those...I was thinking with software more in the lines of AE...although I've never had experience using a flame/inferno suite, so excuse my ignorance.

Edited by a2visual

How does Flame implement them both? Is one of the nodes a layer stack? Don't know much about the Action and batch nodes. If you did it opposite of the DS and piped layerstacks together through a tree I would think it would be more useful.

But in AE's case I would think it would be a major paradigm shift which I don't think Adobe would do. When they added 3D, they did it in a way that didn't disrupt the non-3D workflow. But I am trying to imagine how you could add nodes into it without disrupting the status quo and still have it be effective.

But I am trying to imagine how you could add nodes into it without disrupting the status quo and still have it be effective.

Effect Node --->  Layer 1
     \-->  Layer 3
      \->  Layer 5

Then you control the effect in one place to affect all layers...

But then if you wanted to do motion graphics in node mode you are back to the weakness of Shake or Fusion which is you have to explicitely add position nodes, Scale nodes, Rotation nodes, fade nodes (opacity), matte/roto nodes just to give you the functionality of one single AE layer to start with. And if you are doing VFX work where you only want to use very specific nodes in a specific tree, then AE's layer stack is a bitch because trudging through precomps and copy/pasting masks and matte's instead of branching them off one node is arduous.

wouldnt that be a welcome addition though? there could be shortcuts to quickly access each transform control you wanted. You could view this in both layer and node styles.

- ... which leads me to the first of my wishlist. the fixed order of mask, effects, transform has to go. free this up and i'll need to precompose a quarter of what i do now and I'll get specific control over what I want to do.

- Every 3 dimensional entry ie, [x,y,z] should have the option of being split up via a checkbox or something. I dont want to do this through scripts anymore, it should be built in elegantly.

- expose masks and mattes to effects within layers. Ie, to have an effect in footage 1, that is driven by the alpha of footage 2, without having to resort to extra adjustment layers and matte layers. Premult/div should be built in to this. A more efficient pipeline is a happier one.

- Give an interactive grow bounds effect with x and y dimensions. This is a basic comping window, i cant believe the lack of it in ae.

etcetcetc