Sign in to follow this  
abie silva*

My first ever website

...I know u guyz r crucial when it comes to critiques but that's cool; this is my wife's site; she's an interior designer. Some idiot was trying 2 get over on her; I didn't like it. So, I bought a couple of books and dvd's and came up w/ this. I'm kinda twisted right now so excuse my stupid grammer. Tell me what's up...

www.fkdcenter.com

Focus more on what your wife does and less on the "BIG IMPRESSION" I know you're trying to go for with the site, it's not working. Sorry. I'm not trying to be mean, but it looks like a run-of-the mill site with a lack of clarity. Perhaps, hokey.

I'd try looking to your wife for her design sensibilities and see if she has suggestions for the site, as if it were a room she's working on. What do you think?

Focus more on what your wife does and less on the "BIG IMPRESSION" I know you're trying to go for with the site, it's not working. Sorry. I'm not trying to be mean, but it looks like a run-of-the mill site with a lack of clarity. Perhaps, hokey.

I'd try looking to your wife for her design sensibilities and see if she has suggestions for the site, as if it were a room she's working on. What do you think?

making a website by simply slicing up a huge square photoshop document is a really bad idea

you need to have a little bit of graphics and alot of HTML - your pages load really slow (also, if you care about search engines or people with disabilities, you need HTML text)

I am also wondering if the "Pirates of the Caribbean" theme you choose works with interior decorating

oh, and this is not a cell phone, it is an online forum

I like the feel, and props for not going w/ the regular "cookie-cutter" site just to get up and going. I don't think the theme takes away from any of the work your wife does....but the only thing i'd say to do is when your looking at the gallery after the image loads on the right...make it clickable for an even larger image...those seem a little too small. but that just my opinion.

That was my first thought too.

me too - that is the first thing I saw in the domain name

it didn't help that they way the guy wrote seemed "fkd up"

Edited by mikeh64

CHLuke, good job! taking it upon yourself to help your wife out you just won points with this girl... I know the look you're trying to get with this site - like a modern "Ernest Hemingway meets the West Indies"... and I don't think you're far off. I would suggest a couple of things...

1. You might want to lose the "ripped edges" from around the photography. It makes it seem a little too rustic, If you juxtapose your map imagery with more simple lines, you'll get a more sophisticated look.

2. Perhaps the burnt "treasure map" background is also a little distracting and "pirate" looking. You might consider like a simpler semi transparent white box with opaque thin white or dark brown lines around it.

I'm not going to go into helping you edit your text, since I'm not an English major. But I think so far, you did a fairly decent job...especially if you've been teaching yourself.

I'd like to thank you all for your comments. Being that this project is now finished, I probably won't go back and make changes, but I appreciate all of the feedback. I've been around here for a while but never really had anything to show. I'll have my own site up soon and will post when it is up. Thanx again.