Sign in to follow this  
tim.bowman

After Effects Background Renderer

dumb question.

Besides price, what are the differences between this and NucleoPro?

A couple things that come to mind: Nucleo Pro can be used to speed up your RAM previews as well, not just your renders. It can also be set up to automatically build your comp's RAM preview as you work, so you don't have to stop and hit the RAM preview button and wait. It will just fill in the frames while you're working, and update your changes when you make them. It also has some useful features to pre-render a layer or layers in your comp while you're working and replace those layers with the pre-rendered versions automatically, leaving the original layers in your comp, but turned off and locked in case you need to revise them. Finally, you can set up NP to constantly render your comp to a movie file or image sequence as you're working, which can save a lot of time rendering out the final since many if not all of the movie's frames render while you're still fiddling around with the comp.

Anyway, from the looks of it I think Nucleo Pro offers enough beyond what this script is doing to be well worth the $$$. I already can't stand working without Nucleo Pro now that I'm used to it. But if you don't want to spend the money, this script looks to be doing about the same thing as Nucleo when it comes to background rendering.

A couple things that come to mind: Nucleo Pro can be used to speed up your RAM previews as well, not just your renders. It can also be set up to automatically build your comp's RAM preview as you work, so you don't have to stop and hit the RAM preview button and wait. It will just fill in the frames while you're working, and update your changes when you make them. It also has some useful features to pre-render a layer or layers in your comp while you're working and replace those layers with the pre-rendered versions automatically, leaving the original layers in your comp, but turned off and locked in case you need to revise them. Finally, you can set up NP to constantly render your comp to a movie file or image sequence as you're working, which can save a lot of time rendering out the final since many if not all of the movie's frames render while you're still fiddling around with the comp.

Anyway, from the looks of it I think Nucleo Pro offers enough beyond what this script is doing to be well worth the $$$. I already can't stand working without Nucleo Pro now that I'm used to it. But if you don't want to spend the money, this script looks to be doing about the same thing as Nucleo when it comes to background rendering.

All the above - plus....it is a "queue" and renders movies. You can stack the Nucleo Pro BG Render Queue with as many renders as you want from multiple .aep projects, and it will also use all your CPU's to render a single movie if so desired. Then again - I am biased.... ;)

Steve

GridIron Software Inc.

All the above - plus....it is a "queue" and renders movies. You can stack the Nucleo Pro BG Render Queue with as many renders as you want from multiple .aep projects, and it will also use all your CPU's to render a single movie if so desired. Then again - I am biased.... ;)

Steve

GridIron Software Inc.

rad

Glad you are all enjoying the script! To put in my own 2 cents about Nucleo vs. my script. Nucleo and Nucleo Pro are both fully developed and supported applications. Nucleo Pro especially has many very awesome features including speculative rendering and previewing that are a super workflow speed booster to AE. I personally bought a copy of Nucleo Pro and use it at my office. The reason I wrote the script is because i am a freelancer and work on site a lot and needed a more portable BG rendering solution.

-Lloyd Alvarez

Glad you are all enjoying the script! To put in my own 2 cents about Nucleo vs. my script. Nucleo and Nucleo Pro are both fully developed and supported applications. Nucleo Pro especially has many very awesome features including speculative rendering and previewing that are a super workflow speed booster to AE. I personally bought a copy of Nucleo Pro and use it at my office. The reason I wrote the script is because i am a freelancer and work on site a lot and needed a more portable BG rendering solution.

-Lloyd Alvarez

To throw my $.02 on it too - we have had a number of new customers directly reference Lloyd's script as the reason they bought Nucleo Pro. Its a good script that brings much needed functionality in AE. Once familiar with the concept via the script, its not hard to make the leap to Nucleo Pro and bring AE workflow to a whole new level.

In other words Lloyd, if we run into each other at a show or something - I owe you a pint!

Steve

GridIron Software Inc.

-Lloyd Alvarez

Just curious, does BG_renderer work with AE7.0.1 update? I can't seem to get it to work now...

Just curious, does BG_renderer work with AE7.0.1 update? I can't seem to get it to work now...

Hey Nybe,

Yes, I tested it on 7.0.1 for mac. What problem are you experiencing? What platform are you running it on?

-Lloyd