Sign in to follow this  
Plastikman

I shall lurk no more!

Hi there, after lurking these forums for quite some time now, (and actually getting into some real motion graphics work) I have decided it is time to see what some others think of my work. :D

This video is called "Review & Rate III" and is the third installment of a program in which junior high, and highschool kids watch several anti-smoking commercials and rate which one they think is the most effective at keeping them smoke free, or which one makes them think twice about it if they do smoke already.

The video I animated is the introduction to the commercials and explains what the program is all about. The first two installments were live video that I edited and did the graphics for. This year, they wanted a new look, so I came up with a totally animated one. Let me know what you guys think!

http://www.visualmktg.com/rr3.html

i enjoyed this one, its dynamic, and smooth. Maybe just expanding a little the color palette wich is almost monochromatic but that´s all, good flow and camera moves.

if i could speak a better english i would tell you more, but i like the piece, nice work, keep it up!

i enjoyed this one, its dynamic, and smooth. Maybe just expanding a little the color palette wich is almost monochromatic but that´s all, good flow and camera moves.

if i could speak a better english i would tell you more, but i like the piece, nice work, keep it up!

i agree about the colour palette, my eyes actually felt refreshed by the cool blue of the ad at the end. Some splashes of colour would help.

Also, maybe try doing somehting more with those rotating reels? they appear throughout the video and get a bit same-y..

Also, the review & rate logo looks out of place with the overall treatment you have.. crisp & flat rather than the textured, aged look. maybe this could be balanced out too (not a fan of the logo itself, but that may not be in your hands).

This could be really good!

the VO is ass.

That's hardly constructive, is it?

The color is what got to me as well. I get lost in a sea of yellow... As Alim said, some splashes of color would be really nice. Something to refresh the eye before you make the next statement, kind of thing. Think of it like the lemon sherbert they serve before a main course.

The motion feels nice, can't complain there, although some variation in the illustrative elements might be nice. The bit near the beginning with the rockets rotating around the globe is good, I like those elements. It would have solidied things a bit more if there was more things similar throughout the rest of the piece.

You guys are awesome...thank you for your replies and critiques

So the big issue seems to be the colour palette. I guess that I can say it is my style....I love to work in a tight colour palette. I honestly thought during the process that the colours I was using were working so well....and when I introduced other colours it really seemed to stand out - not in a good way. When I approach a project, I find a feeling and I like to keep the mood. But if it makes the eyes tired, that is a different story :) .

Another problem seems to be the V.O. Which kind of confuses me a little. Besides the fact that I didn't really have control over the selection of the VO, I actually thought it was pretty good (considering the choices that were presented). Can you inform me of what you feel the problem with the V.O. is?

As far as the animated reels go, I agree that there is more I could have done with them. Unfortunately I only had about 96 hours for everything to come together. But as I always say, time frame isn't an excuse for sub-par work, design should be good whether you spend one hour or one week on something...the difference should be oomf.... :D

It felt a bit like the "Saved by the Bell" show intro. Not in look or color but kind of an mid nineties style. I had to mute the audio to finish watching it though. Good technical work as far as keyframing and what not, but if it didn't have the 3D space, I would think it was done pre AE 4.1 days.

the gritty/parchment texture and the type face you chose is screaming 90's to me for some reason. I just don't think they were good choices for making the content feel current and fresh, which is always important. It's got this whole grungy and sickly look that really isn't attractive. The whole design is just a little trite. I mean it's pretty obvious to put a bunch of film imagery in a piece on the topic of film or movies. I think you could have thought a little more about something a little more unique and even simpler. This is overkill to me. I feel like the design suffered, and you tried to make up for it by attempting an elaborate animation, which isn't that bad, I just think the whole thing turned into mush.

I agree with everyone about the color. Don't make it your style, because it's not going to come across as 'style', it's going to come across as a lack of experience and knowledge in using color. Do you know theory at all? How to make color harmonies? When you say you tried adding color here and there and it didn't feel right, it's just not going to work that way. You have to establish a pallette first and work from that. In order for colors to work together, they have to have to be balanced in their harmony and space. You have to use the color as an element of design, to guide the viewers eye, anything else should just fall into a seamless integration with the stuff you don't want them looking at. Take a look at this website... http://kuler.adobe.com

It's an amazing tool for figuring out color palletes, although it might be kinda wierd to use with out a knowledge of color theory. If anything you can just use the palletes other users have created and uploaded.

just keep pushin, good luck.

Looks great on this end as far as production, the rest... I'm not the target audience... and I'm not one to say, "it has youth appeal".. since I ain't no youth and can't speak for them... What has been the reaction from the target audience?

Looks great on this end as far as production, the rest... I'm not the target audience... and I'm not one to say, "it has youth appeal".. since I ain't no youth and can't speak for them... What has been the reaction from the target audience?

Hey there, it's Plastikman. I wasn't able to login, so I created this account. As far as reaching the target audience, it is sent out to schools across Manitoba and I can't get direct feedback from the kids watching it. I have shown it to my neice and nephew and they thought it was cool. Although you can't rely on family members for good criticism, they are generally brutally honest about things they don't like :).