Sign in to follow this  
brianodom

Is there way to pull this off in after effects?

You'd probably be better off with an NLE where you can easily store, cut and edit quick clips together.

Do this in Final Cut Pro, Avid, or Premiere...it can be done in AE, but I highly recommend not going that route.

thats what I thought I just wanted to be sure B)

You could look into the VJ software that's out. Where it will trigger short QT clips from MIDI notes. So you can sequence the video like you would sequence drums. This way once you define what video hits equal which notes, you can use all kinds of premade beats (like in logic or Garage Band) to trigger the video.

A Loooong time ago when I had an electronic band and played at raves, we made our own with Opcode's MAX programming environment. We could trigger intellibeams and video clips from our keyboards. Bitch to set up, but once set up a freaking blast to program a show.

A Loooong time ago when I had an electronic band and played at raves, we made our own with Opcode's MAX programming environment. We could trigger intellibeams and video clips from our keyboards. Bitch to set up, but once set up a freaking blast to program a show.

I remember coding pages of midimaps! Kids today with their monomes and their lemurs... they don't know anything! You can't really appreciate a song until you can sing it in hexidecimal.

-m

*I really want a monome :(

I remember coding pages of midimaps! Kids today with their monomes and their lemurs... they don't know anything! You can't really appreciate a song until you can sing it in hexidecimal.

-m

*I really want a monome :(

Holy shit. Those are krunk. The monome looks like a physical version of the old Opcode MAX presets grid. The lemur just looks dope. Man, I wish I was in music in the laptop age. I used to have 7 - 10 real life synths just to run a show. What a pain in the ass. After a farm rave I remember spending a week getting dust out of an Oberheim Xpander, Jupiter 6, and SH101.

Well, maybe not. I actually watched it to the end this time where it said it indeed was timeline editing. But that begs the question, why not use DJ/VJ software to sequence it. You could do it a shitload quicker.

Well, maybe not. I actually watched it to the end this time where it said it indeed was timeline editing. But that begs the question, why not use DJ/VJ software to sequence it. You could do it a shitload quicker.

whats a good VJ program??

:huh:

Came across this ghetto-ass interface today while phishing.

-m

Very interesting. I'm guessing the input the optical mouse is getting is sending back crazy positions that the dude tied into the scrub function?

Re: Original post theme.

It's always bugged me that Avid/FCP/any NLE has never implemented a BPM marker function. Like in Pro Tools. You can define a first down beat and the last down beat of the song and input the amaount of measures the song is and it will figure out the BPM and adjust the timescale to match the beats. Imagine if Avid could do this then you could have markers at every quarter note/1/8th, whatever to snap to. NLE makers HAVE to know that there is such things as music videos. In that NLE's are often to create them.

I've always put my finger on the marker key and tapped it to the beat while letting the timeline play but due to lag and human inconsistency, the markers are never exactly on the beat so they only become a rough guide.

Edited by C.Smith

the part where the young dude is playing the piano.. :)

Holy insane amount of AE layers Batman!

This video is actually done very welll.

Edited by sixtydays

I hacked an expression solution to do this kind of animation with layer markers.. Used this script from aenhancers.com as a base. quick test: Bush remapped

Just add markers to the footage layer and markers with the same comment to the time remapped layer with the expression.

aetimeremapmarkers.gif

F = thisComp.layer("footage"); 
L = this;

p = 0; 
if (L.marker.numKeys > 0){ 
p = L.marker.nearestKey(time).index; 
if (L.marker.key(p).time > time){ 
p--; 
} 
} 

n = 0; 
n = L.marker.nearestKey(time).index; 
if (L.marker.key(n).time <= time){ 
n++; 
if (n > L.marker.numKeys) n = 0; 
} 
} 

if ((p == 0) || (n == 0)){ 
inPoint 
}else{ 
pmark = marker.key(p);
nmark = marker.key(n);
playthis = F.marker.key(pmark.comment).time;
linear (time,pmark.time, nmark.time, playthis,playthis+nmark.time-pmark.time);
}

'Happy jumpin!

re good VJ software?

I recommend VDMX for os x ( which can integrate quartz composer patches really easily ) and 99% of parameters in the program can easily ( a short right click away ) be assigned to be controlled by midi controllers, key commands, other data or the built in audio analysis etc

have a browse of the forum at the site, to gauge the kinds of projects and possibilities people are playing with : )

http://www.vidvox.net

--

melbourne

http://www.skynoise.net

I hacked an expression solution to do this kind of animation with layer markers.. Used this script from aenhancers.com as a base. quick test: Bush remapped

Just add markers to the footage layer and markers with the same comment to the time remapped layer with the expression.

aetimeremapmarkers.gif

F = thisComp.layer("footage"); 
L = this;

p = 0; 
p = L.marker.nearestKey(time).index; 
if (L.marker.key(p).time > time){ 
p--; 
} 
} 

n = 0; 
n = L.marker.nearestKey(time).index; 
if (L.marker.key(n).time <= time){ 
n++; 
if (n > L.marker.numKeys) n = 0; 
} 
} 
if ((p == 0) || (n == 0)){ 
inPoint 
}else{ 
pmark = marker.key(p);
nmark = marker.key(n);
playthis = F.marker.key(pmark.comment).time;
linear (time,pmark.time, nmark.time, playthis,playthis+nmark.time-pmark.time);
}

'Happy jumpin!

Cool man, thanks for sharing. :-)

I dunno if using a VJ software as opposed to a NLE/whatever would necessarily be quicker, but fun nonetheless to play the clips in real time. Tho for ultimate accuracy you'd still be best off doing it by hand the long way. Of course with most modern DAWs (Nuendo, Logic, etc) nowadays you can do moderate video editing, so there's always that option.

http://www.arkaos.net/software/gvj_description.php

is pretty much the defacto in VJ software as far as I know

edit: there's also this http://www.onyx-vj.com/ if you just wanna mess around with some stuff (can't say I've tried it)

Edited by 7twelve