Sign in to follow this  
RustyAce

Apple Strikes Again

it said multi year contract with cingular. i really hate cingular too. my work uses verizon so they pay half my bill. they wouldn't do that if i changed to spring, although that makes no sense. but that phone is omega sweet. add me to the want but won' get list. atleast not anytime soon.

Another point of interest is that it is only offered up to 8GB. This does not seem sufficient for a device that is meant to store music, video, photos, etc. I know I would fill that up real fast. I am sure this will be upped in future models...I hope...

These won't be delivered until June - sounds like there are still some issues to iron out but lots of people will hang on for it. If they pre-announced a full screen iPod this far ahead, they would undermine sales of current units. As Apple doen't yet sell phones, they will only undermine sales of other manufacturers by pre-announcing it. I would like to bet that we see the full screen iPod before or at the same time as the phones.

Usually with Apple's new products there is about a day or so where I think it's the best thing ever, then the shine wears off a bit and I realize that while it may be a good product, it's not necessarily as revolutionary as I first thought.

I have to say, after reading through the specs and watching the introduction, this device is truly amazing. I think the potential repercussions from the iPhone are huge. Once this thing is out in a full line with lower priced versions, who the hell is going to want a "smart phone?" How do you feel if you're Microsoft and you just busted your ass making that lame Zune and then you see this?

The interface advancements are going to be huge as well. It's easy to see the touch screen jumping over into the iPod line, but there's also tons of potential for it in Apple's computer line. Put that touch screen technology into an Apple 30" LCD and you have a whole different kind of design workstation.

I also think that putting OSX on this thing is brilliant. If using an iPod has gotten people to move from the PC to the Mac, the iPhone could be the beginning of a mass exodus from the PC platform, and I'm not saying that as a Mac zealot or anything. Once these things begin to show up in meetings in corporate offices around the world, IT managers are going to be bombarded with requests to replace people's Blackberries.

I don't even like cell phones and I want one of these.

I agree with you fully scott. While the ipod has gotten many people on board with apple, and resulted in them buying computers, I think it's safe to say it's mostly the younger crowd. This phone will most likely get all the older, more practical, less creative, business dudes foaming at the mouth to have one, and soon enough, to switch their computer to apple.

By the way, did anyone notice that Apples stock went up 7.10 points yesterday!!! And it's already up another 2.15 today. I just wish I had had some money to buy stock back before tiger came out. I knew this was gonna happen.

Edited by Tread

I just wish I had had some money to buy stock back before tiger came out. I knew this was gonna happen.

In '98 when apple's stock was at $13 and there were all the rumors that Apple was going under, I rememeber my dad telling every person he met to BUY APPLE NOW, knowing they had stores of cash and that it would only go up one day. He was like a crazed madman about it. But alas, did he buy some stock? No. Did it go up when the iMac first dropped? Hellz yes. WTF.

In '98 when apple's stock was at $13 and there were all the rumors that Apple was going under, I rememeber my dad telling every person he met to BUY APPLE NOW, knowing they had stores of cash and that it would only go up one day. He was like a crazed madman about it. But alas, did he buy some stock? No. Did it go up when the iMac first dropped? Hellz yes. WTF.

Yeah, I got caught up in that before. I heard Apple stock was going to split years ago and figured with Steve Jobs back at the helm they were bound to make money, so I dropped big bucks on some Apple stock. In 3 weeks it went up 30% and I thought I was an investment genius. Then one day I came home and the news was on, it it was saying that Apple's stock dropped 45% because they missed their earnings mark. It went down more in the following days and I was sitting on stock that was worth about 40% of what I paid for it. It took 5 years to recoup the loss. Once it was up about 20% from what I paid for it (about 3 years ago) I dumped it. Of course, had I held onto it, I would have tripled or quadrupled my investment by now.

That was my first and last foray into stock picking. I stick to mutual funds and the like now. ;)

I don't see what all the fuss is about, especially since it's with cingular, they're even worse than sprint. and whats with the storage? 8 gigs? and even on their media center they only have 40 gigs, my ipod has more storage than that, and I checked the specs on it, it doesnt look like you can hook up an external HD to it . says it has a usb port for diagnostics only. now it did say that you could sync wirelessly to your computer but can you play directly off the computer or does the media need to be copied from your PC to the little grey box??

I don't see what all the fuss is about, especially since it's with cingular, they're even worse than sprint. and whats with the storage? 8 gigs? and even on their media center they only have 40 gigs, my ipod has more storage than that, and I checked the specs on it, it doesnt look like you can hook up an external HD to it . says it has a usb port for diagnostics only. now it did say that you could sync wirelessly to your computer but can you play directly off the computer or does the media need to be copied from your PC to the little grey box??

I think the least important feature of the iPhone is the iPod integration. It's nice to have it but I don't think most buyers of smart phones are buying them because of music capabilities. It's a nice add on, but the really revolutionary stuff is in the interface and how it handles calls, etc. Visual voicemail alone would make me upgrade my current phone. 8 gigs isn't that much, but that's the current limit on the type of storage the iPhone is using. If you go easy on the photos and music, there should be plenty left over for all sorts of business stuff; calendars, contacts, email, etc.

I have to admit that I don't fully get the Apple TV (iTV.) I agree that 40 gigs is a paltry amount for a device like this, but it seems like Apple is pushing the model of having your computer be the home base for all the media, where this device is simply the way to play it back to your widescreen TV. I was hoping for something with the current capabilities of the Apple TV but also with full DVR capability and a lot more storage; something that I could replace my current tv/ music components with. I also wouldn't buy anything right now that didn't support full 1080 HD; this thing is only 720p. This might just be the limit on the wireless connection, but I haven't seen anything that indicates it can play back 1080 content from the hard drive. I'm not really keen on spending $299 just so I can play back iTunes content on my TV. You can do that now with a couple of extra cables. Something tells me I'm missing something but yeah, I'm luke warm on this one so far.

Another point of interest is that it is only offered up to 8GB. This does not seem sufficient for a device that is meant to store music, video, photos, etc. I know I would fill that up real fast. I am sure this will be upped in future models...I hope...

<unrepentant hate>

The ipod has made its way off on inbuilt obsolescence. This is no surprise.

The only way to make sure that you will buy another "omgiPhone!1" inside of 1.5 years is to offer an "upgrade" consisting of another 8gb (or whatever) of flash memory --whether that is still woefully inadequate or not, they can generate a certain level of expected sales revenue.

but yes... 8gb of memory in a $500 phone resembling a brick is a total joke.

</unrepentant hate>

<unrepentant hate>

The ipod has made its way off on inbuilt obsolescence. This is no surprise.

The only way to make sure that you will buy another "omgiPhone!1" inside of 1.5 years is to offer an "upgrade" consisting of another 8gb (or whatever) of flash memory --whether that is still woefully inadequate or not, they can generate a certain level of expected sales revenue.

</unrepentant hate>

Welcome to the technology industry. ;)

I actually did buy it back when it was $14. 25 shares at a cost of $350. It split to 50 shares a few years ago. It's now worth almost $5000. Turns out I should have bought a lot more. DOH! I just hope it splits again soon.

As for iPhone, I just wish I could get it with T-Mobile. I've been happy with my PEBL for the past year, but if I could have this and not jump networks, that would be ideal. Oh well. I'll wait til rev. 2 and see how I feel then.

For a split second, I thought about taking my imac into the genius bar tonight. If nothing else, to see the line of retards waiting for this. Then I thought better of it. I switched my contract from Cingular (which I had for the last 5 years) to Sprint roughly 3 minutes before they announced that the iPhone would be thru Cingular. I wasn't mad or anything...It's ok, cuz I get a 13% discount with Sprint (this makes me feel better somehow.) And my cell phone is PINK!!! Beat that iPhone!

I won't wait for Santa to bring me one either, I wasn't good this year.

Working in mograph, I can't even afford this darn thing... :D

iPhone (4 gigabyte model): $499.00

Cheapest Data, Voice Plan (450 min/mos): 1,439.76

Activation Fee: 36.00

TOTAL (two years) $1974.76

Edited by toosday

Guest Sao_Bento
Working in mograph, I can't even afford this darn thing... :D

iPhone (4 gigabyte model): $499.00

Cheapest Data, Voice Plan (450 min/mos): 1,439.76

Activation Fee: 36.00

TOTAL (two years) $1974.76

When did "mograph" become synonymous with "well paid"? Haven't you ever heard of all those starving artists?