Sign in to follow this  
walk don't run

edge angle gradient c4d materialish

helps.jpg

Is there any genius way you folks can think of to colorize objects in c4d based on some kind of angle threshold.

I'd really like to apply images and gradients uniquely to the flat or angular sections of an object,,,, I want to get feathered transitions from flat to angular, if that makes sense. I put up this poorly mocked up picture to help explain somewhat...

Since the sphere's polygons don't go over the angle threshold it is treated as one big plane.

P.S. I'm really trying to avoid using vertex maps for this.

Cheers.

Edited by walk don't run

Guest Sao_bento

fresnel hasn't really seemed

to cut it. maybe i'm missing something...

Did you experiment with the gradient? It's literally, exactly the solution to your problem.

heeelps.jpg

Okay, the one on the left is fresnel.

The one on the right is a crappy mockup of what I'm hoping to achieve.

Fresnel is tied to zdepth from camera from what i can tell.

I need something that doesn't change based on camera location, something that more or less reacts to the sharpness of angles on an object.. there has to be a way - but i'm begining to think the shader or effect has yet to be written for this.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by walk don't run

sharpness of angles on an object.. there has to be a way - but i'm begining to think the shader or effect has yet to be written for this.

Na, you need to layer your shaders. You can easily use Fresnel (for the side faces) in combination with Proximity or Weightmap shaders (for the caps).

Mylenium

mylenium, thanks but as i said i am not looking for a vertexmap solution. using the proximal shader (with the object in the proximal's object field) works in some situations but has no baring on angles and it becomes useless when the geometry is heavily subdivided.

mylenium, thanks but as i said i am not looking for a vertexmap solution. using the proximal shader (with the object in the proximal's object field) works in some situations but has no baring on angles and it becomes useless when the geometry is heavily subdivided.

Then use The SSS shader from Advanced Render. Should do the trick.

Mylenium

Fresnel is tied to zdepth from camera from what i can tell.

I need something that doesn't change based on camera location, something that more or less reacts to the sharpness of angles on an object.. there has to be a way - but i'm begining to think the shader or effect has yet to be written for this.

First of all, Fresnel is not linked to z-depth. It is a shader that renders a gradient value based on a polygon normal's angle from the camera axis. That is what you asked for in the right image with the sphere. In the left rendering you are asking for something completely different... that is a shader based on the angle between polygon normals... and even then, not really because the chamfered edges of the cube should be darker than the 90 degree angled sections.

So you see the problem? It's not the software.

You haven't defined the rules of the texture consistently for all objects. Until you can do that (and it helps to be able to do it with words) you will never find a single material solution for completely different shaped objects. If you can't do that, then you should do it in a way that allows you to change the rules per object... like UV maps or WeightMaps with gradients, as suggested.

It seems to me after seeing your third example that what you *really* want is a shader that automatically renders white along screen edges not angles, which is something Sketch and Toon is pretty good at.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

monkey, thanks for your insight. yes i was struggling to explain things correctly but screen edges is exactly what i mean. i know s&t as an effect does this, but does sketch and toon feature a shader for does this? the reason i ask is because in some cases for instance i'd like to use the gradient 'screen edges' as a layer inside of a fusion channel. many thanks.