Sign in to follow this  
Nando Costa

Hungryfordesign.com = Design Wikipedia (Looking for Help)

Hello everyone. Back in 1999 I had an idea to create an online resource for designers in general but that ultimately would serve students as a re-search tool. Back then there were very many design portals, I believe K10K was the main one at that time. The project was then named Hungryfordesign (to reflect the eagerness to learn that I found in myself and other your designers back then).

My vision for the project did not revolve solely on news though, the intention was to create a space where designers from all different experiences and stages in their careers could collaborate by adding content to a graphic design time-line of some sort. Back then I was unaware of Wikipedia, as a matter of fact it was only created in 2001.

Since I did not have any in depth experience in coding websites, and still do not, I ended up using the url ( http://www.hungryfordesign.com ) as my personal website. Time went by and I eventually moved my portfolio to http://www.nandocosta.com so that I could again pursue my ancient goal of getting the project going.

Unfortunately the group of programmers that had agreed to helping me with the project no longer have the time to dedicate to it and I have run out of resources since this is an unpaid project. Hopefully, in the future, the ones involved in the project would be able to benefit from some sort of banner placement profit. The advertising on the site would have minimal and also need to be associated with the content, such as design books, software, resources and etc.

I've decided to post this here because I know that http://www.mographwiki.net/ came out of a thread here so I was hopping that I would find someone that would be as excited as I am about the potential of this project that they would want to be involved.

Ultimately I would need the help of developers to implement basic changes to the structure of a Wiki so it would also function as a calendar. This could actually be done by developing a separate navigation that could be added to the site and help users navigate through the content in various ways.

Hope this makes sense, but I wanted to leave it as vague as possible and just see if there would be any interest from you guys.

Looking forward to the feedback! Thanks in advance for your interest.

Nando Costa.

no you're not. I sure hope his project pans out.

:huh:

What??? Am I the only one to go nuts over the fact that Nando Costa posted his first thread here?

Edited by tomcat

Not surprisingly, we're having the same sorts of problems with mographwiki. Yuppster/Matt is doing a fantastic job getting around the MediaWiki software, but it only goes so far before you need PHP to implement your designs, I guess. Wish I could say we'd found some knowledgeable people with spare time and willingness, but talented people with spare time is a rare commodity, although I've only been looking locally.

If I find anyone, i'll definitely point them in your direction. And we'd be grateful if you did the same! I'm sure the mographwiki will end up pointing to your wiki to cover all the bases anyway. :D

Welcome to the board Nando, it's always awesome to see people visit here who are considered the greats of the industry! I am wondering, with your reputation and connections if it is a possibility to find coders through some sort of continued education program at any schools near you (internships?). It seems like you could probably find a couple super hungry web designers/developers fresh out of college looking to boost their reputation by working with someone at your level. If not through schools, I know that AIGA may be able to help you get in contact with some young bucks looking to boost their work. I wish I could say I could help you, but like a lot of people here the part of my brain that work towards coding websites was damaged when I was dropped on my head as a kid...so I can only seem to get through the creative side of things. :lol: If you need help with design (which I am sure you don't) I am all in! Good luck and hopefully you can find someone who has the technical know how you are looking for.

Edited by BOY:1:DER

Hey Nando,

Nice to see you posting on here. I wonder if you could you expound on your idea a bit. What type of information would go in the timeline? Would it be for current events (April 22-24, FITC Toronto 2007) or for design history (1977, Milton Glaser designs "I Love New York" logo) or both? In what ways would the content be different than the existing wikis (Wikipedia/Design Encylopedia/Mographwiki)? I'd say if it's going to be another site that has a Saul Bass bio, those site have it covered. But I think something like an editable online calendar of upcoming design events/film festivals/competitions might be cool.

As far as I've seen, Mediawiki (the software Wikipedia/MographWiki uses) doesn't have much calendar-type functionality. There's a few addons like this and this and this, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

As other have said, I don't think there's an abundance of web developers willing to work for free. I've worked on the technical side of Mographwiki pretty much by myself, which has been a chore because I'm not a web designer or developer. I know a lot about Mediawiki (and wikis in general like Wikipedia) so I might be able to help you a bit there. But ya, explain in more detail what you're envisioning and we'll get a better idea of what's involved.

:huh:

What??? Am I the only one to go nuts over the fact that Nando Costa posted his first thread here?

I think it's just that his request is very specific, web developers / tech heads / designers with Gee-Whiz Golly Gosh php skills who want to work on his wiki idea. I'm sure it will be a cool and useful project, but darned if I have any ability to contribute to that kind of thing.