Sign in to follow this  
Guest advancedlife

Freelancer resources

Guest advancedlife

I don’t know if it will be helpful for you or not, but over the last year I have been trying to put together free resources for artists interested in freelancing. The address is below if you are interested:

http://joellongie.anazoa.com

Good Luck

Guest parallax

Thats some mighty interesting info i was just looking for.

On a sidenote, those ILM artists look terribly underpayed, as seen in those ILM papers. Or are those net hourly wages?

Guest advancedlife

I beleive it is an hourly rate, if you calc it out for a year it looks about right.

Guest parallax

Yeah, i know. But the skill level involved with ILM artists is very high. They could make 3 times as much in similar positions in other companies. I mean Lead animator $41 bucks an hour? Seems extremely low to for such a high profile job.

Guest SermonOfMockery

yeah, that's pretty low... that's about $80K a year- good money for sure but for what they do it should be 3-5x higher if you ask me.

Guest nama rupa

Yeah I agree too its low, but I heard that the larger companies like ILM and digital domain pay lower. Sort of that crappy mentality of "we are awesome, hell you should be paying us for the experience you will get while you work here."

And believe it or not, a friend of mine had this told to him while in a interview for a low level job at some 3D place. Thats just to fucking lame. :roll:

Guest finegrit

I agree it's low, but also remember that it's a union shop, so in addition to the base pay, you have health care, pension, insurance, paid vacation, sick days, and over time. Everything after 40 hours is time-and-a-half. And if you're forced to work Sunday, it's double-time. It adds up.

I generally think the high hourly rate for freelance is misleading. You lose more than you gain from not having the above benefits.

Guest parallax

Thats weird, almost all of the above benefits are standard by law in The Netherlands. Doesn't matter what kind of work you do, of course it depends on the lenght of your contract. At least, in my limited experience that is..

Guest parallax

Mmmm, was going to print a crap load of those papers, but they seem to bee offline.

Anyone got a mirror page, or comparable site with all that extensive info about going freelance? (establishing hourly wages et all)

Guest govinda

Great idea. I need to look at it but it seems like a great thing.

Hey, you can hit up opus13 for you tax section. Opus, dropped the whatchacallit dime on you, sorry!

Guest the_Monkey
Thats weird, almost all of the above benefits are standard by law in The Netherlands. Doesn't matter what kind of work you do, of course it depends on the lenght of your contract. At least, in my limited experience that is..

6075[/snapback]

HA! Fat chance!

If the US developed a system that took care of its own citizens, how could we afford the weapons necessary to spread Freedom & Democracy? A paradox indeed.

;)