Sign in to follow this  
mete_shop

Orvile Deadenbacher

if you watch it with no volume, they almost pull it off. more than anything, it's the "gameshow host" hyper vocal projection coming from the face of a docile old man that kills the effect.

though they really dropped the ball on the glasses. i assume someone didn't want reflections "messing up the shot". also his eyeline to the mp3 player seems off, though it probably is mathematically dead on, according to the 3d software. i guess that's where that elusive "spark of life" exists... the glance of a tired old man towards a stupid video ipod. they should make that the official siggraph test or something.

i think it's possible that they purposely wanted to create an air of ambiguity to try and generate some online bloggy chatter... something we'll probably be seeing more of in this post-braviaballs era.

Edited by jaan

Guest Sao_bento

I think this is the same technique used on Al Gore!

In person, Al is actually quite charming, as is Tipper. Al stands head and shoulders above most CEO, business type people who wear suits that I've ever met. It's easy to buy into the media coverage of people, but until you see these guys in action, first hand you can't fully appreciate what being a "politician" really means. I guess it's like a Michael Jordan level of social grace or something. I think you'd really be stunned. I know I was.

I've heard the same thing about Gore. I think what kills him is that he never seemed loose up on stage. Compared to GWB, Gore seemed more rehearsed and therefore less natural and human. This isn't about politics, GWB is not a good president, OK, not getting into that, just saying that the body language element, Gore didn't instill comfort on screen. I wonder why that was. Some people say it's because his smile wasn't as loose as some others and especially compared to Bill C, who in person is very very loose and casual. Gore ain't and therefore reminds people of an actor and who in the hell deep down would trust an actor over your neighbor?

As for Orville, yeah, looks kinda creepy and looks like they could have made the eyes motter and made the jowls and other flabs of skin bounce more. Looks kinda like half the time necessary to get it to look perfect was spent on it.

3D guy, so I'm super critical. BTW, Al's jowls didn't jiggle either. That was his problem. Average people's skin jiggles, his did not on screen. He was just not an on screen smiler whereas Bill and GWB are. Big subconscious cue in there somewhere.

Yeah, it's in the jowls. His lips don't seem to move right either.

Not sure if CPB was trying to reach a younger audience with this spot, but I'm not sure that using an 88 year old man to pitch it hit the target. An older audience may be familiar with Orville and instantly recognize him, but the iPod thing probably threw them off. I thought it was a spoof because it seemed so off in its concept.

Edited by dachavez

the only thing that could make this ad creepier than that CG Orville Redenbacher, is if he were to molest an adolescent whilst popping his "corn"

ew.

Edited by Firebetty