Sign in to follow this  
PMC

My first Reel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well this is the first draft anyway, Im still working on one or two pieces

to slot in before its done. I'm a little concerned that there may be too many characters/vector work running around and not enough real people and places. Live footage isnt lly an issue as I just dont have the equipment/computer power for it.

Anyways let me know what u think, what u like, would would put u off.

Iv never worked in motion graphics befor and started learning AE last summer, basically Iv been building up pieces so I can get a reel together an get my foot in the door of a post house....

http://www.pmcgraphics.com/motion.reel.html

25 MB

Edited by PMC

hey there ... i really like your style ... but all of your stuff lacks of speed and pacing in my opinion ... they all seem to be kind of slow ... it might just be the editing of the reel itself!

just my two cents :D

peace out yo!

flow

Edited by flow

Hey PMC, nice to know you put a reel together. The music has some great energy and should be fun to watch a reel by. What you have now is a good starting point, I'm definitely excited about the fact that this reel clearly exhibits a visual style as I told you before. All you have to do now is edit the hell out of it to cut out all of the space where nothing happens to anything and cut every second and a half to two seconds unless you have some elements that have to be strung together.

I'll be the first to tell you that my reel ain't the best, but I remember what an editor for music videos once told me: the first impression comes in the editing. You have some clean work, just slip it some crack and take it for a ride.

TMB

Agreed with the pacing. The song is very fast and the cuts should compliment the fast pace of the track. Also, it seemed somewhat long. Perhaps think about giving the viewers the option to check out QTs of your full pieces and have a refined reel to show off your skills in a nutshell.

Nice work!

hey there ... i really like your style ... but all of your stuff lacks of speed and pacing in my opinion ... they all seem to be kind of slow ... it might just be the editing of the reel itself!

just my two cents :D

peace out yo!

flow

ditto, and it seems like everything looks the same, I would throw some different stuff in their so it doesnt look all the same.

The pacing is much better.

The text in the end slate should be the same font and color as 'demo reel 06' in the beginning slate.

i would also recommend reducing the audio db to half of it's current level.

nice work, and good luck!

i didnt watch the earlier version to compare the pacing but i think its completely mismatched to the soundtrack here.

\The song is great, probably my fav dfa1979 song, but its fast, aggressive, angsty (its written about fast teenage sex and 'pulling out') and has a hell of a lot of balls. Your work is great (you have a distinct and fun style), but none of these qualities seem to apply to the music imho, so it's a bit of a hard start to begin with, before you even think about the pacing itself.

Regardign the pacing, make your edits happen as the music changes, ie, bars change, the build up hits, screams etc. Theres times now where the motion stops altogether and a static frame is held for 2 seconds while jesse is screaming to pull out, which doesnt make sense.

my advice is to put your reel on loop, mute the video audio while you go through your music collection to find soemthing that clicks with it better (not neccessarily what your favourite song is)

g'luck

I agree with Alim. I didn't feel like the two (your motion work + the choosen audio) really fit to well together. Your work is really cool and your illustrative stlye is distinctive. I would look for something that goes a little batter with it.

The pacing still seems a little awkward to me in places.

All in al you have some really nice work to be displayed.

Thanks dudes, Id be lying if i said death from above was my first choice, im actually living away from my cd collection at the moment so only have a limited choice. I kind of wanted something metaly/punky but propably electro pop would better duit my work!