Sign in to follow this  
brianodom

cool freeze frame effect

how is that cool effect done where theres moving video, it freezes and looks sorta 2d then it restarts? :blink:

i've ssen that effect quite a bit ;)

thats pretty vague. maybe show an example? but it sounds like youre looking for a mix of time remapping, and rotoing out the last frame as stills offset in z-space.

how is that cool effect done where theres moving video, it freezes and looks sorta 2d then it restarts? :blink:

i've ssen that effect quite a bit ;)

dude, seriously, every single one of the questions you ask could easily be learned from just doing a little research on your own. Check out Creative Cow, google some After Effects Tutorials, try Ayato's tutorials, even the AE help file. I'm not posting links to these places because you need to work on your searching skills.

sorry to be harsh, but I've kept my mouth shut about this for a while and the board seems to be flooded with the same stupid noob questions we've all answered a million times. I have nothing against new members or people that want to learn, I was there once too, but I taught myself simply by doing research. Asking us every little question you come up with isn't researching, it's asking for a free instructor.

dude, seriously, every single one of the questions you ask could easily be learned from just doing a little research on your own. Check out Creative Cow, google some After Effects Tutorials, try Ayato's tutorials, even the AE help file. I'm not posting links to these places because you need to work on your searching skills.

sorry to be harsh, but I've kept my mouth shut about this for a while and the board seems to be flooded with the same stupid noob questions we've all answered a million times. I have nothing against new members or people that want to learn, I was there once too, but I taught myself simply by doing research. Asking us every little question you come up with isn't researching, it's asking for a free instructor.

hahaha yeah!

damn man...i mean hell, i would not have asked if i couldn't find it or tried to attempt it myself ...man some of you have major attitude problems..i thought the old saying was no question is a stupid one? :angry:

some of you have forgotten how it was when you started out doing this..

Edited by brianodom

damn man...i mean hell, i would not have asked if i couldn't found it or tried it myself ...man some of you have major attitude problems..i thought the old saying was no question is a stupid one? :angry:

well i helped you out, but you still didnt answer my question. and yes, it is a very generic effect youre trying to simulate and a little searching wouldnt hurt.

you mean virtually no trace of info, advice or tutorials online?

not to sound like a jerk, but it truly amazes me how many designers, animators, compositors, etc post questions on forums that can be easily answered with a $30 book. and usually reading said book will also answer the posters' next eighty seven forum questions as well.

the only thing worse than a "$30 book" question is a "free documentation that comes with the software" question, which yours would be classified as.

if depending on others for solutions to your design/animation problems is your standard practice, then best of luck with your career. because you will need all the luck you can get.

sorry to get all nasty and evil, but that is exactly what you need to hear if you are planning to do this professionally.

Guest fletty

damn man...i mean hell, i would not have asked if i couldn't find it or tried to attempt it myself ...man some of you have major attitude problems..i thought the old saying was no question is a stupid one? :angry:

dude, do yourself a big favour and buy this book for a start.

1578201144.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056522851_.jpg

Part 1: Getting Started, Animation

Part 2: Managing Layers

Part 3: Working in 3D

Part 4: Modes, Masks, and Mattes

Part 5: Building Hierarchies

Part 6: Effects: The Basics

Part 7: Illustrator and Photoshop Basics

Part 8: Express Yourself

Part 9: Ins, Outs, and PreferencesIndex

then buy book 2

1578202698.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V48192058_.jpg

Part 1: Type, Draw, Paint

Part 2: Animation Assistants

Part 3: More on Effects

Part 4: Working with Audio

Part 5: Time and Tracking

Part 6: NLE, 3D & Web Integration

Part 7: Format Issues and Rendering

The Road Home

it will not only answer indepth all your basic questions, but more importantly save us from typing out the whole book to answer your questions. once you've learnt the basics, then feel free to ask questions, and we'll be glad to help. good luck... :)

i thought the old saying was no question is a stupid one? :angry:

1) Some questions are stupid. The definition of a stupid question is one that has so little information in it that there's no hope of getting an answer.

2) I haven't forgotten, in fact I remember quite vividly spending months upon months doing every tutorial I could find. The effect I'm guessing you're after has been covered a million times. I also remember that any time I saw something I didn't know how to do, I would watch it frame by frame and pick out what was happening.

I'm not trying to start noob bashing again, I really encourage the new members to ask questions, but please try to articulate what it is you're trying to say and at least accompany it with some examples. Also, try checking creativecow first.

The great thing about mograph.net is that it's full of really talented motion designers that we all can learn from. Threads like this just make them think this is another CreativeCow and they leave, and that hurts us all.

Sorry I even contributed to this stupid thread.

you mean virtually no trace of info, advice or tutorials online?

not to sound like a jerk, but it truly amazes me how many designers, animators, compositors, etc post questions on forums that can be easily answered with a $30 book. and usually reading said book will also answer the posters' next eighty seven forum questions as well.

the only thing worse than a "$30 book" question is a "free documentation that comes with the software" question, which yours would be classified as.

if depending on others for solutions to your design/animation problems is your standard practice, then best of luck with your career. because you will need all the luck you can get.

sorry to get all nasty and evil, but that is exactly what you need to hear if you are planning to do this professionally.

1. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is ok

2. I have those books and also the 3rd book they came out with too, also THE ADOBE AFTER FX..STUDIO TECHNIQUES :rolleyes:

3. I AM VIDEO EDITOR ALREADY..I AM IN A SMALL MARKET AND WE JUST STARTED USING AFTER EFFECTS.. I am seasoned with Premiere Skills and I am making steps towards taking after fx courses in school..

4. I would not have asked the question if i did not know..to be a bit more in depth , most times the effect is done in music videos and where the may have artist singing then they stop they'll have a stroke come over them then the video resumes..i saw it on tv a about an hour ago...since i had some downtime i was trying to do the effect...

i was trying to look around to see if i could find a few reels if i come across one with it, i'll link it

Guest Sao_bento

it's a shame there are so many arrogant arseholes on this board :(

FOR FUCKS SAKE: YOU ARE NOT ROCK STARS. YOU ARE NERDs WHO MAKE TV ADVERTS

seriously, some of you chaps need to drop the attitude

Bite me. No one here is acting like a rock star. If you can't form an intelligent question, don't come back.

If you can't work a book, don't expect a future in an industry that is based on research.

i'd love to participate more on mograph, especially because the UK is so under-represented but people take things so seriously it's not fun to do so.

*bites sao bento

I just hate this elitist attitude. It would take the same amount of time to point someone in the right direction than it would to post a snarky comment

it's a shame there are so many arrogant arseholes on this board :(

FOR FUCKS SAKE: YOU ARE NOT ROCK STARS. YOU ARE NERDs WHO MAKE TV ADVERTS

seriously, some of you chaps need to drop the attitude

maybe i didn't properly convey the meat & potatoes of what i was saying. here's another try:

---

it's a shame there are so many arrogant beginners who expect people on professional forums to answer all their questions, as if it's their job to serve as the human equivalent of the MS Word paperclip character :(

FOR FUCKS SAKE: WE ARE NOT YOUR EMPLOYEES. IF YOU ASK A MEGA BASIC QUESTION THAT CAN BE ANSWERED BY SIMPLY READING THE SOFTWARE DOCUMENTATION AND WE DON'T CARE TO ANSWER OR EVEN INTERNET MOCK YOU ABOUT IT, THEN YOU HAVE NO REASON TO GET ANGRY

seriously, some of you beginners need to buy a $30 book, and then actually read it

---

hope that helps. also, you should feel free to actually answer his question.

i'd love to participate more on mograph, especially because the UK is so under-represented but people take things so seriously it's not fun to do so.

*bites sao bento

I just hate this elitist attitude. It would take the same amount of time to point someone in the right direction than it would to post a snarky comment

Hey Niel, first off, good to have you here on mograph, I remember bookmarking your reel a long time ago, you do some really solid work man. So personally, I'm sorry if I did anything to make you not want to come here. My apologies.

I'm really not trying to sound elitist or like a rock star or anything like that. Sure we could send the young chap in the right direction and it would take less effort than posting a snarky comment, agreed. The problem is, we usually do just give them the information they want and leave it at that, but they come right back the next day for another handout. I really don't think what I did was elitist at all, it was me showing a young up-and-comer how to get the information they're looking for without turning mograph.net into another Creative Cow.

Maybe the way we act makes some people (like yourself) not want to come here, but I have a feeling alot more people would be scared away by the endless throng of cow-esque threads. To me, giving a young one a little kick in the arse now and then is the lesser of two evils.

I see your point, biggie, fair enough. And cheers for checking out my reel!

I'm not on here that often, so maybe I don't see a fair representation, but I find it a tad depressing that a naive young hopeful would ask an innocent question and be berated by a load of old hands...

I do have a chip on my shoulder about elitism and arrogance in the design world, I suppose it comes from never having formally studied design (I did fine art at uni) and my lack of respect for the integrity of the advertising industry

*gives up design

*move to rural Scotland to tend an underwater parsley farm

get a life you all...

google up "bullet time effect"

If that's not what your looking for it'll be propably freeze frame, manually cut out shapes, 3Dlayer rotate some stuff, composit some layers on a new background, move the 3Dlayers, get on with the movie.

On how to do it, now you got a clue, do some research on it.

Ok...

So I'm another new poster (also from the UK) and although sometimes I do have a degree of sympathy for some of the more naive posters I've seen on here more recently, this time I'm not so inclined.

I've lurked here for a year now, since I started out using A.E. I've found it an invaluable resource for learning and have searched over and over without posting one single question. I was sorely tempted at times where I was pulling my hair out over now trivial problems and the answers were usually there already.

Even I got a little pissed off when I read the subject of the post. I remember what it was like to be starting out and I pretty much still am, so I know how it is.

No offense to the poster. It's just that strangely, it feels like a bit of a kick in the nads when some of us new guys DO take the time to use the search, buy the books, and scour online for tutorials.

btw: Hello

Ok...

So I'm another new poster (also from the UK) and although sometimes I do have a degree of sympathy for some of the more naive posters I've seen on here more recently, this time I'm not so inclined.

I've lurked here for a year now, since I started out using A.E. I've found it an invaluable resource for learning and have searched over and over without posting one single question. I was sorely tempted at times where I was pulling my hair out over now trivial problems and the answers were usually there already.

Even I got a little pissed off when I read the subject of the post. I remember what it was like to be starting out and I pretty much still am, so I know how it is.

No offense to the poster. It's just that strangely, it feels like a bit of a kick in the nads when some of us new guys DO take the time to use the search, buy the books, and scour online for tutorials.

hello and thank you.

1. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is ok

2. I have those books and also the 3rd book they came out with too, also THE ADOBE AFTER FX..STUDIO TECHNIQUES :rolleyes:

3. I AM VIDEO EDITOR ALREADY..I AM IN A SMALL MARKET AND WE JUST STARTED USING AFTER EFFECTS.. I am seasoned with Premiere Skills and I am making steps towards taking after fx courses in school..

4. I would not have asked the question if i did not know..to be a bit more in depth , most times the effect is done in music videos and where the may have artist singing then they stop they'll have a stroke come over them then the video resumes..i saw it on tv a about an hour ago...since i had some downtime i was trying to do the effect...

i was trying to look around to see if i could find a few reels if i come across one with it, i'll link it

People are a little harsh here, but think of it as tough love. The best way to figure stuff out is really, really, really knowing the software and trying to think through what it is you want to do. and I think Rothermel is right... look at time remapping the footage and maybe masking the subject out when you pause it.

Ok...

you must didn't see what i typed earlier? :unsure:

Guest Sao_bento

Jaan is usually right, but he doesn't get pissed off easily. In this case he both right AND pissed.