Sign in to follow this  
troyA

.3ds into Maya

Hey. I'm trying to get some models into Maya. They're .3ds files. In the past I've been able to work around this problem, but probably not this time. I'm seeing faceting, missing polygons, and other polygonal gremlins. Has anyone overcome this?

Thanks.

T.

Guest Sao_bento

Hey. I'm trying to get some models into Maya. They're .3ds files. In the past I've been able to work around this problem, but probably not this time. I'm seeing faceting, missing polygons, and other polygonal gremlins. Has anyone overcome this?

Thanks.

T.

Where did the model come from? Is there any reason to believe that it's perfect and the problems you are seeing aren't related to the quality of the model?

Where did the model come from? Is there any reason to believe that it's perfect and the problems you are seeing aren't related to the quality of the model?

There's every reason to believe that. I'm sure it's not the model, I've seen it before. In the past, I've just moved on to another model. I'm certain in 3D Studio Max, this model looks perfect, but once imported into Maya as a .3ds file, it looks pretty shabby. Is this something Maya just can't fix, or am I too obtuse to know the answer? I hope I'm too stupid, because that at least I can do something about.

Thanks.

This is a common problem i often encounter with models bought in 3ds format. Often enough the export was done without enough care and 3ds beeing a dinosaur in the world of 3d fileformats (it dates back to DOS times) does it's own to promote problems.

It's very likely the model was originaly a parametric object and conversion (triangulation) was done automaticaly without realy checking the result. To me half of the models that for example came with the Taschen books are unusable due to similar problems.

Cheers

Björn

Guest Sao_bento

So does anyone know where I could buy Maya models?

turbosquid.com

edit: corrected for incorrectness