Sign in to follow this  
morpher

demoreel - improvement tips appreciated :)

alright man, I have to work off some bad karma for noob bashing yesterday so here's my thoughts on the reel:

The main thing I noticed (and pretty much everyone does this when they're just starting out) is that everything looks like a Trapcode tutorial. Shine/Particular all over the place without any real substance. It's good to know how to use plugins and all, but they should never be the driving force behind your design, which is the case for most of the stuff here. My render is just about finished so here's a few random thoughts about the rest of the reel:

1) work on your typography skills, it's all pretty bland/outdated/sci-fi cheesy. The "Start Now!" text is particularly cheesy.

2) Alot of type is waaaay outside the safe title zone. Some is even outside the safe action zone.

3) Bad key on the dancing guy, lots of tearing on his legs.

4) Most of the clips in your reel are spec pieces (i'm assuming anyway) promoting yourself. Make up a product (don't use products that already exist like Napster) and make a fake commercial for a fake product. Show us what you can do besides promote yourself. Nothing's worse than watching a reel that has words like "Post Production" and "Video Editing" flying around.

Hope I didn't come off as harsh or anything, we all start somewhere man, keep working hard and it'll all come together. Also, good for you for having the balls to post your work. I'm sure someone else will be able to go more indepth than I have.

I totally agree with biggieboy. I started watching this and Im like is this a video for what trapcode can do? Theirs really no creativity sorry to say it just looks like you followed some tutorials and then made them as "your own" and made a reel out of it.

Yeah I myself am struggling a bit with greenscreening and such now. I am also a n00b, but the legs look a bit jaggy- if I were you I'd focus on keying out some of that or do a mask of some sort.

But my experience so far is that people here are great and they will tell you just what they think and that's great!

Regards (and) best of luck- otherwise besides the jaggies looking good (IMHO).

Triad

Hey Morpher,

I agree with others that you need to work on the text. Keep in mind that text is an artform, and I think you'll do much better. Try incorporating your traditional skills/ideas into your projects. Maybe do more sketches before you get started on a project. It would give it more personality.

Wo kommst du denn her? :)

I'm not sure if this reel is for you being a designer or an after effects artist.

there's some nice pieces, they are simple and clean but way go on way too long for the reel.

if you're selling your "design" skills, maybe it's better to have your stills/boards up and have a much tighter reel to show a little animation.

e

Hi!

I would like to get some feedback and advice how to improve my reel :

http://www.morpher.de/demoreel_v003CD.mov

thx in advance,

morpher