Sign in to follow this  
jslicer

Unmult Plugin for Photoshop

No, what i'm looking for is a way to pull a perfect alpha in a one step plugin solution. If you screen, it doesn't create an alpha channel. If you've used unmult, you'd know what i'm referring to. thanks tho.

Guest Sao_bento

My one-step solution is to make the flare in AE, unmult and then render a single frame. ;)

Exactamundo!

Good suggestions...i appreciate them. I'm just surprised that this is something that a third party software maker has to provide at least in the case of Unmult in AfterEffects. It's such a useful and quick way to extract an alpha. Seems like alot of steps to go through in Photoshop through channels. I really would love to find a solution as quick and flawless as how Unmult works in AfterEffects. I would imagine the plugin would be written on the same basic groudwork for Photoshop as Unmult for AfterEffects.

True, Jake, but I guess people just don't think of Photoshop as a plug-in app. I doubt most users even have the freebie Flaming Pear plugins like Solidify, which is really a good, quick plug.

I agree about rendering one frame in AE with alpha. PS is a pain in the ass when it comes to stuff like that.

I'm wondering why you need an alpha channel on it though? Screen will do the same thing visually. And if you're eventually bringing it BACK into AE, then you could always put the unmult effect on it then.

I assume this is for boards?

Designing in AE is no longer taboo btw.

Edited by Firebetty

Yet once you know how to handle the alpha channels in Photoshop, it shouldn't be more than a few seconds worth of work. It doesn't seem to be worth the plug-in development time for something that can be accomplished with relatively few steps.

Yay for learning about channels and blend modes!

hah! a 5 page tutorial!

flag that, 2 clicks is all you need to do for a true luminance matte in ps:

1) In Channels, ctrl click on the rgb channel thumbnail.

2) Click on the Add Layer Mask button

heres some tips too.

* do a curves or levels on the layer mask after this to get the mask more defined.

* switch to Lab colour mode to get access to specific YUV style channels before you ctrl click em.

* if you want to get funky with it, sometimes fringing will be visible so i use an edge only version of this layer (set to screen) as well as an inside only version (set to normal).

good for a quick board, save the time on importing exporting from ae for finished elements.

also, Extract is for generating a luminance matte and is built in to ae. Extract + Levels = Unmult.

^brain freeze yesterday, Set Matte/Luminance + Levels = Unmult :S

Edited by alim

I agree about rendering one frame in AE with alpha. PS is a pain in the ass when it comes to stuff like that.

I'm wondering why you need an alpha channel on it though? Screen will do the same thing visually. And if you're eventually bringing it BACK into AE, then you could always put the unmult effect on it then.

I assume this is for boards?

Designing in AE is no longer taboo btw.

But AE will spit everything out at 72dpi. What if you need it higher, for print? Make a 2K Comp? That's one mighty big lens flare!

BKM

Guest Sao_bento

But AE will spit everything out at 72dpi. What if you need it higher, for print? Make a 2K Comp? That's one mighty big lens flare!

BKM

Yup, make a 16,000 by 16,000 in 16ppc.

that's the thing...I still don't understand why you would need a true alpha on a lens flare. A transfer mode can do this visually. Otherwise, yes, you'll need to make a massive comp in AE, or pull the key using aforementioned channels in PS.

I guess I'll never know.

Edited by Firebetty

Looking for an equivalent plugin to Unmult by Knoll Light Factory for AfterEffects - but that does the same thing in Photoshop. Anyone know if something like this exists?

It's only Japanese Page. sorry.

Photoshop Plug-in Un-Multiply

http://www.ayatoweb.com/download/down04.html

Photoshop Plug-in MakeFill

http://www.ayatoweb.com/download/down05.html

ayato.

UnMult has more uses than for lens flares- it's great for compositing fire and smoke effects, among other things. Sometimes it looks much better than a screen or an add- plus, you have the ability to apply adjustments to the element based on it's alpha.

In PS, I usually just use a magic wand, and then modify the selection for inaccuracies. It's a little more manual, but I don't need to open AE or install 3rd party plugs. Also, don't underestimate combining multiple color channels to make a matte.