Sign in to follow this  
The Crabster

Got a C4D Modeling Question...

So I started modeling this iSight and I am happy with what I have, but I wanted some thoughts on other ways to acomplish a more realistic version.

Mainly, the 2 areas that I am unhappy with are the holes. I used an alpha in the material to create what I have, but I would have prefered actual geometry. I try using an array of cylinders and used boolean to cut out the holes, but the polys were too high... Any other tips?

Also, the main hole at the bottom, I am not happy with. It should be an oval, but I was unable to accomplish it. Once agin I tried a boolean, but it meesed up the shape with the resulting polys... Any tips?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it...

What it should look like:

iSIght_Side.jpg

My version:

iSight_C4D.jpg

Edited by The Crabster

I would really avoid doing that with geometry.

I always drop to textures for ventilation holes.

I see why you want them, but perhaps you could get decent results by simply putting a smaller black cylinder inside your shaft (*ahem*) to mask the back face.

-m

I would really avoid doing that with geometry.

I always drop to textures for ventilation holes.

I see why you want them, but perhaps you could get decent results by simply putting a smaller black cylinder inside your shaft (*ahem*) to mask the back face.

-m

Yeah I actually do have that smaller black cylinder inside and it works ok... Any ideas on the large hole on th eunders ide of the iSight. How do I get a round hole instead of a square one?

Yeah I actually do have that smaller black cylinder inside and it works ok... Any ideas on the large hole on th eunders ide of the iSight. How do I get a round hole instead of a square one?

or you can subdivide the edges along the opening and eye it out....

OK thanks for your help guys. I now have a decent round hole in the bottom. I had issues with boolean before, but this time I subdivided the areas that were creating the boolean into smaller sections. It worked great...

Does anyone know how to turn the edge that is created by the boolean into a spline without making the boolean editable?

iSight_C4D_02.jpg

you could simply make a duplicate of the object you want to extract the spline from, then make that editable, get your spline (using the convert selection to spline process), then delete the rest (leaving you with the original object untouched)

Edited by mikeh64

Here's a way to make the hole using a bend deformer that gives you a cleaner mesh than booleans. You have to either weight the plane's edges or make cuts right at the plane's edges for the loop to meet itself because of the rounding-off effect of the hypernurb. Also, the bend deformer has to be the exact size of the plane. I didn't do it, but the shape of the hole would be easy to change to match the ref art. If a seam showed up, as a last step I'd current-state it and weld the points at the seam. It's easy to overlook deformers when modeling in cinema, whereas max and maya builders seem to learn deformer tricks at an early stage.

cylinder_hole.jpg

The first thing I tried was an 8-sided cylinder in a hypernurb, and then made a hole. But you get a flaring-out area around the hole--no dice.

Oh, you know what, after I had the hole shape just right, I'd current-state the hypernurbs at 1 subdivision anyway to get rid of the deformer now that it's done it's job, while saving a backup of the un-converted mesh. Then I'd weld the points, then throw that mesh into another hn at subd 1 or 2. There's a 'multi-point-slide' plugin out now I think, in case the hole needs last-minute fixing down the line somewhere.

If you want to give your small holes "depth" you can add a bit of sub-poly displacement around them. Just make the circles on your displacement map marginally bigger than the circles on your alpha map. You will also need to ramp up your spd subdivisions until you stop seeing roughness around the edges

cylinder.jpg

If you want to give your small holes "depth" you can add a bit of sub-poly displacement around them. Just make the circles on your displacement map marginally bigger than the circles on your alpha map. You will also need to ramp up your spd subdivisions until you stop seeing roughness around the edges

cylinder.jpg

very cool... nice job Basilisk

Here's a way to make the hole using a bend deformer that gives you a cleaner mesh than booleans.

If you have renato's path deformer I think it has an auto connect function for looped paths - you can just wrap round a circle and the ends will weld together.

path deformer

dunno if the free version supports this feature.

The spline wrap deformer in the Mograph module will do the bend, but won't do the weld.

Isn't it better/faster to do this with a bump instead of displacement since the metal is so thin? I always try to avoid SPD if it's something that can be done without it. Since all you need is a pixel's width of shadow and you probably won't notice the bump map go flat (when the camera is parallel to the surface)... especially since the holes are already filled with black.

I suppose it depends how close you get.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

Isn't it better/faster to do this with a bump instead of displacement since the metal is so thin? I always try to avoid SPD if it's something that can be done without it. Since all you need is a pixel's width of shadow and you probably won't notice the bump map go flat (when the camera is parallel to the surface)... especially since the holes are already filled with black.

I suppose it depends how close you get.

-m

If doesn't quite give the sense of thickness - it is better than nothing. I would only recommend highly subdivided SPD for stills. If you are animating, you may miss the subtlety anyway.

Here is the same model with bump for comparison

cylinder2.jpg

Edited by basilisk