Sign in to follow this  
jblessing

New 2007 Reel

just a few quick points

- I feel like I saw the same "coming up next" CW thing like 5 times except it was with a different clip of friends/raymond. Maybe I'm wrong and they were actually different, but that's the problem with lower 3rd graphics in demo reels - people watch the clip, not the graphic under the clip.

- fading out audio in the middle of a song always seems lazy to me. Chop that audio up and give it a concrete finish, your sound edit is just as important as your video edit. Right now it feels like its building up and building up and then....fades....away.....

- Lots and lots of newsy clips that looked pretty much the same for most of the reel, and then there were just a tiny few of these really kickass short little clips that had lots of variety (the Orange WB2 Colorado thing comes to mind) and I was like "whoa! Show me more of that!". You could probably extend those shots with more variety since they're so short and get rid of alot of the newsy stuff (don't get me wrong, the newsy stuff is good, but there's not much variety between them).

my 2 cents. Nice work man, keep posting!

EDIT: might be time for new music, the whole hard-rock-techno super x-treme track didn't really work for me, seems outdated.

-Probably not a good idea to include that Run's House DVD Menu. It goes by so fast that the first time I watched it I thought you were claiming to have created the Run's House Intro. If all you did there was put in the gold records on the bottom then it's not really worth showing off, someone else designed the logo. Plus, because you included it you technically have parts of someone else's motion work in your own reel, which is never a good idea.

Edited by biggieboy

sweet. thanks for the feedback. I had similar feelings about it, but wasn't sure if they were worth the time to fix...

anyone else have any thoughts about what to maybe take out or what you would like to see more of?

Hey here is my latest motion graphics reel for 2007. What do you guys think?

Side note: I've been using this music for a couple years and just replacing out shots when I have time to add new work...any of you think it's time for new music? Suggestions?

johnblessing.com

personally i like the music, but what do i know im just a 3d guy ;)

by the way, from my experience, you shouldnt kill yourself over music too much because in most of my interviews (last one was at psyop) they just muted it anyway cause there are people working.

if you feel that its working with the pacing and the timing and has the energy you like, just stick with it. I like the high energy feel of your reel.

Edited by stooch

agree with the previous feedback.

You only need to show the Mortis and the animated lower third work once. Plus, i think i saw that channel 2 logo three times. I see in the edit you were re-purposing the whole reel as sort of a "recap". i'd probably lose that, it's nice if you were telling a story but if i were in a hurry, i'd see it as a waste of my time to see the same stuff over and over again.

there's a shot in there of guy in front of projection of something, i'd probably get rid of that.

it's good work, just trim it back.

e

Hey here is my latest motion graphics reel for 2007. What do you guys think?

Side note: I've been using this music for a couple years and just replacing out shots when I have time to add new work...any of you think it's time for new music? Suggestions?

johnblessing.com

First off huge props for having Tony Danza in your reel.

I see some inconsistency between your title slate, which we know you made, and the rest of your reel. So I'd be interested to know your role in a lot of the work.

I think the music fits the content of your reel to a tee. Spot on. :)

I'd probably be a bit hesitant calling myself "John Blessing Productions." I presume you are looking for a job and not building a production company? Maybe its just a personal peeve but if you are looking for work I'd just stick to your name.

Would be nice to see the edit varied up a bit. As stated above. Very similar if not identical layouts being presented 2-3-4 times.

Don't get me wrong.

All about the Arby's Instant Replay... but I think once is probably enough.

Might be nice to see some of the fsn stuff near the beginning too.

Are you looking for a new position somewhere or just cutting a reel for this quarter?