Sign in to follow this  
RustyAce

to vista or not to vista

Guest spence

I've heard horror stories about all the copy protection that vista forces upon consumers.

One of which is that vista will refuse to play blue ray / hd dvds in HD format unless you have a monitor that also supports the same security features (only a handful of monitors are being manufactured with those today, the only one I know of is dell's new 22" wide screen display) . Any one that wants to use a Vista based PC as an HD home entertainment hub will have to resort to buying a new TV and/or monitor.

is that chart real?! that's approaching Procter & Gamble levels of SKU clutter.

Yeah, I think it is.

I wasn't even aware Vista was out already.

I wonder if I should get a 15" or 17" macbook pro? hmm...

Guest Sao_bento

I've heard horror stories about all the copy protection that vista forces upon consumers.

One of which is that vista will refuse to play blue ray / hd dvds in HD format unless you have a monitor that also supports the same security features (only a handful of monitors are being manufactured with those today, the only one I know of is dell's new 22" wide screen display) . Any one that wants to use a Vista based PC as an HD home entertainment hub will have to resort to buying a new TV and/or monitor.

Yeah, it's called "HDCP" - high bandwidth digital content protection. Get ready, because it's gonna be EVERYWHERE very shortly. My company makes a product that won't let you use an HDMI connection without it. In the very near future, your dvd player, vcr?, tivo, computer, computer monitor, and tv will all talk to each other to make sure that everyone is using HDCP. If anyone in the chain isn't the other things will refuse to work.

There is a Vista upgrade advisor here that checks your system for Vista compatibility:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...adeadvisor.mspx

yeah, that advisor will tell you that you can run it, but i doubt it will tell you if you can actually work with it, it´s lkind like game system requirements, you meet them but then you play at 10 fps.

Guest spence

Yeah, it's called "HDCP" - high bandwidth digital content protection. Get ready, because it's gonna be EVERYWHERE very shortly. My company makes a product that won't let you use an HDMI connection without it. In the very near future, your dvd player, vcr?, tivo, computer, computer monitor, and tv will all talk to each other to make sure that everyone is using HDCP. If anyone in the chain isn't the other things will refuse to work.

Seems so shady... and I feel especially ripped off considering I just spent 900$ on a monitor that I find out doesn't support it. I have a feeling I'm going to be sticking with XP for a long while.

The main problem i have with Vista is the extremely crappy OGL support. For all those who are dependent on usefull OGL speed Vista is currently a realy big nono

Cheers

Björn

i've got 100 euros in front of me that says this is cracked before it even gets properly on the market.

Edited by parallax

i've got 100 euros in front of me that says this is cracked before it even gets properly on the market.

What the consumer can do with equipment that is not easily programmable? (DVD players, tv etc)

Guest Sao_bento

What the consumer can do with equipment that is not easily programmable? (DVD players, tv etc)

Yeah, I imagine it would be a little tougher than just breaking a DVD encryption scheme, but it wouldn't surpise me if it got cracked. I think the expectation is just that it will be more along the lines of cracking embedded systems, where you have to have a lot of knowledge about how they work to even try - that then reduces the number of people who will successfully crack it. As long as you drop the hammer on anyone selling cracked equipment in a timely fashion, you'll be able to limit your exposure.

Shit. And I thought the RIAA was a pain in the ass.....

Guest fletty

been reading up on this HDCP thing. pretty scary stuff... :mellow:

(HDCP) is a form of Digital Rights Management (DRM) developed by Intel Corporation to control digital audio and video content as it travels across Digital Visual Interface (DVI) or High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) connections. link

None of the current ATI or NVIDIA graphics cards will support the full capabilities of Windows Vista. [as at feb 12 2006] We’ve been able to confirm that none of the Built-by-ATI Radeons support HDCP. If you’ve just spent $1000 on a pair of Radeon X1900 XT graphics cards expecting to be able to playback HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies at 1920x1080 resolution in the future, you’ve just wasted your money.link

...And while PVP-OPM (Protected Video Path-Output Protection Management)—which provides a secure path from applications to HDCP output—isn't entirely finalized, the general framework is a certainty.

...Apple will be on board too, possibly with the release of Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5). Tiger saw the light of day in April, and with the company intending to release Leopard around the same time as Vista, that means that we'll be seeing HDCP support on the Mac (powered by Intel!) probably around the same time as the release of Windows Vista.

...However, if you're heading out this weekend to drop US$3,000 on a TV, chances are high that it will support HDCP. The same can't be said of monitors, sadly. Apple's US$2999.99 30" display doesn't support HDCP, and only a handful of Dell's various options do. link

A Cryptanalysis of the High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection System

Abstract. We describe a weakness in the High Bandwidth Digital Content Pro-

tection (HDCP) scheme which may lead to practical attacks.

i was wondering why they dropped the price so considerably from the older models of 22 inchers. makes sense now. get rid of them easily, cuz in the very near future the buyers will be forced to upgrade.

Guest Sao_bento

HDCP is pretty much required if you expect Hollywood movie type content to touch your system. Now it's just an end to end version of what macrovision used to be. The disc won't play if any component in the system does not support HDCP.

Guest spence

I think if anything this will encourage more piracy. I'm sure as hell not going to spend a dime on buying a new monitor/tv just to watch blue ray disks in 1080p when I already own equipment that SHOULD support it. I'll just download the torrent thank you very much.

Edited by spence

I'd certainly say wait for it, of course. It's pretty and has some good features (aka BitLocker, ReadyBoost), but you're just gonna kick yourself when you find out that you've been a Guinea Pig. You'll probably do better to wait six months.

Of course, don't be ridiculous and base your whole computing experience around avoiding it, either! What do I mean by "don't be ridiculous"? Well, just about a year ago, a friend of mine finally upgraded from Mac OS 9.... to Mac OS 9.2. That's what I mean by "don't be ridiculous"! Just my opinion, tho.

:rolleyes:

i think i can see a mad-max-esque apocalyptic future in which hardware and software prior to 2007 is worth more than gold.

any idea how long adobe will keep it's production bundle available for xp, before going vista only?

:H

Around the time CS came out, there were some things that were broken with XP Service Pack 2 (mostly help file type stuff). By the time CS2 came out, it was REQUIRING that you have SP2 installed. One could surmise that the requirement was in order to insure full functionality, but if Vista provides something that an Adobe feature set requires...uh oh.

CS2 won't run on Windows 2000, according to their website. Last version of anything Adobe we've got running on the old cobweb machines here is PS 7.0, Premiere 6.5, AE 6.5, Illustrator 10.

If the threat of Vista doesn't send the remaining holdout design pros to Mac, I dunno what will.

Cf

Vista will be (or, continue to be depending on your perspective,) a nightmare. Any WinDohs OS has been that I can remember when it was new. I will leave it for the early adopters to sort it all out (no disrespect intended) then maybe jump in once the dust has settled.

My dream machine now:

Mac Pro/4gb RAM/2 TB storage/512mb ATI video card/Triple boot: Mac OS-X/Win XP Pro/Linux= true freedom of choice! :H

Guest Sao_bento
Vista will be (or, continue to be depending on your perspective,) a nightmare. Any WinDohs OS has been that I can remember when it was new. I will leave it for the early adopters to sort it all out (no disrespect intended) then maybe jump in once the dust has settled.

My dream machine now:

Mac Pro/4gb RAM/2 TB storage/512mb ATI video card/Triple boot: Mac OS-X/Win XP Pro/Linux= true freedom of choice! :H

Now you'll be able to choose which of two platforms to run most of your Adobe apps on!!!!! Hooray!!