Sign in to follow this  
:: KUNOiCHi ::

Books on Color

Anyone know of any really good ones?

I have this one book that tells you the color style and the swatches that would go well with the mood... too bad it's all in Japanese, buu.

So if anyone knows a really good one in English, that'd be really sweet.

:H

Anyone know of any really good ones?

I have this one book that tells you the color style and the swatches that would go well with the mood... too bad it's all in Japanese, buu.

So if anyone knows a really good one in English, that'd be really sweet.

:H

Well, I frequent ColourLovers quite a bit. It's a great resource for different color schemes and the like. Hope you find it as useful as I have.

ive found color lovers doesnt teach you anything about how to build your own color palettes, it just gives you previously made selections. it drives me crazy to look through those. adobe's kuler is much better suited for that kind of site.

i picked up 'color management' about a year ago and have been quite pleased. there is a great amount of info on the science behind color, and if you are more serious than going to a website and finding what looks pretty, buy it.

edit: its got a chapter in the back devoted to the positive and negative emotional responses of each color, as well as how 'appetizing' they are.

Edited by jeffrey

Guest fletty

what kind of colour information are you looking for? swatches? science? theory? psychology? history? Synesthesia?

good general article

In the 20th century color theory attempted to link colors to particular emotional or subjective associations: red is an arousing, sensual, feminine color; blue is a contemplative, serene, masculine color, and so on. This project has failed for several reasons, the most important being that cultural color associations play the dominant role in abstract color associations, and the impact of color in design is always affected by the context.
Wikipedia (Color Theory)

otherwise if you're looking for color swatches/harmonies etc then i agree with jeffrey. check out http://kuler.adobe.com/

Edited by fletty