Sign in to follow this  
Pleaseluggage

M$ misses on Vista Ad?

http://www.tronicstudio.com/media/mov/Vista_JFK.mov

Now, big respect for Tronic, they're [hopefully] not the issue I have, but the messages in the visuals don't make me want Vista. I already DON'T want Vista, so maybe I'm biased, but the search features? Security? Easier Visualization with Flip 3D? Are you kidding me? All of those things flying around looked cluttered and super cumbersome and difficult to manage. I know my way around windows pretty well and they are NOT going to win any converts with random visuals unrelated to the true promise of this thing. *cough*

Father in Law just got a lappy with Vista and its interface is slower than my 6 year old xp rig. Are they really this out of touch with reality?

you can already do this with your hard drive, which only causes more problems then its worth. so how is the flash drive any different?

on osx the background apps are running off "hard drive RAM" and when you switch programs the selected program starts working off of actual ram, instead of the hard drive, at least thats the way i under stand it.

oh and i agree, im not sold on the spot either, usually like their work, and i like everything happening through the windows, and the 3d look and animation is on as expected, but the concept seem week and disconnected.

just my 2 cents

and as far as the product goes, that search feature looks like front row or the itunes disc switch turned into a search program, and is reminisant of the old 90"s 3d desktops you had to navigate through to get to your files

Edited by RustyAce

I think the ad is cool. I think it is well executed. I will not be using Vista at work (we are staying on xp for some time) and only have macs at home. I don't want Vista in the least so watching ads for it don't do much for me. The concept might be a little week, but I think they pulled pf the spot very nicely (technically at least)

oh and i agree, im not sold on the spot either, usually like their work, and i like everything happening through the windows, and the 3d look and animation is on as expected, but the concept seem week and disconnected.

just my 2 cents

I think it's digital signage at the JFK airport - not meant to look like it's windows in a room.

Totally agree with luggage. None of these features seem very enticing. I think the hard part about marketing vista is that, while it's a big upgrade, the features are old news. I think most people would say that all of these "features" are long overdue... so that makes it pretty anti-climatic.

It's sort of like when you see a house advertised with an unspecific string of adjectives... "Charming, Great Neighborhood!" You know that house is going to suck. That's exactly what this piece reminds me of.

I think had they left the "features" out altogether and just had more fun with general branding and fun visuals, they could have saved this piece. For instance, the part where all the buttons pile up, that probably looks pretty cool if you're standing there. If that's a moving sidewalk right there, they could have had little messages/visuals that move the same speed as the sidewalk so it'd kinda mess with your head while you're going along.

I think it's digital signage at the JFK airport - not meant to look like it's windows in a room.

I just saw a 4x3 excerpt of this attached to the beginning of the trailer for "This film is not yet rated" after clicking on the link in another thread. Hosted on IMDB.

Cf

Lol, yeah. Really all of them suck in various amounts. When most people do very basic things with their OS and still keep most of their files scattered on their desktops, I think the current OS paradigm isn't thought out correctly.

Hey! I got an idea for an interesting discussion:

What do you guys think is better, Windows or OSX?

:lol:

OMG.... I don't know how many times I had THAT discussion- either with die-hard Mac or WinDohs aficionados!

Yeah like I think has already been said: they both have their issues. But the intrusiveness of Vista is making me want to stave off the 'shock of the new' as LOOOONNNGGG as possible :unsure:

As I had previously posted, the best of both worlds, is well- both worlds. Like Sao had replied to my post before- 'which ever runs my Adobe apps better.'

Cheers

Triad

i think the ad has a very identifiable 'windows' feel to it. so i don't think it was a failure. just not mindblowing. nothing new here. matt pyke mastered the wall panel display years back.

i would agree microsoft needs to rethink their marketing angle... perhaps Gates can get to that right after he finishes counting all his money.

Edited by mete_shop

Yah, not feeling it either.

I don't hate it, but it feels as though MS isn't really even trying to market the new OS.

I mean, it is dated but I think the Win95 commercials over a decade ago were way more effective:

It was definitely more exciting.