Sign in to follow this  
misanthrope.

So i was given a mac...

this sounds a little stupid, but I was given a machine and (although it apparently has decent specs) i don't know what to do with it. it seems like it should run most anything, but i left macs 14 years ago and have been out of the loop with comparative 'power' ratings.

the rundown:

Quad 2.7ghz g5

8gb DDR2 ram

2x500gb HD's

Quadro fx4500

wifi/bluetooth/gigabit/etc

i think Tiger is installed.

my office is currently an all PC setup centered around PS, AE and 3ds max. my main workstation is a dual opteron 285 affair.

i don't feel that there is a current need that is being unfulfilled, so i'm not really sure how it could help me. are there any mac only applications i should investigate? i used to be a fan of shake (back before apple killed the PC arm) and i'd like to see what 2+ versions has done for it, but i don't have any ideas beyond that.

right now it's a web browser in an 3.6amp aluminum case to me.

Well, it's pretty outdated. The specs are weak and basically, no software will run on it since it's not the new Intel chipset. Basically, I can buy those off of eBay for $150-$300 through a guy in Romania. I'll offer you $400 for it.

this sounds a little stupid, but I was given a machine and (although it apparently has decent specs) i don't know what to do with it. it seems like it should run most anything, but i left macs 14 years ago and have been out of the loop with comparative 'power' ratings.

the rundown:

Quad 2.7ghz g5

Well, you've got a very decent AE renderer if nothing else, although having said that I don't know if aerender is cross platform, or you need to buy a Mac version?

Sound editing is the other area that springs to mind.

Specs are fine, not being Intel isn't an issue yet. But I don't think Apple ever made a Quad 2.7GHz, there's either a Quad 2.5 or a Dual 2.7; it might be a custom build however.

Cheers - C

Trying to be funny. It's not a hunker,. it'll do some great stuff for you and you may quickly notice that things just work. That rig, even if it's a dual and not a quad will speed many things up for you in the way of workflow without having to install a ton of 3rd party apps and searching for codecs and drivers when you add something. OSX.

I'm no fanboy, just practical working knowledge.

From what ive heard AE on macs actually renderer's faster, that is ae 7 on the power pc chip, but the pc's are supposed to handle 3d rendering better.

Once you MAC you never go back...jk

Stop bragging! ^_^ I still work on an old G5 at home, it's not even dual, but it works great and I never had problems with it. I even run maya on it.

yes, that is currently the most powerful mac available*

as far as mac-only apps - I surprised no one mentioned Final Cut Studio

* I say this because all the adobe apps are not available as mac intel-native, so they run in emulation. Once the intel versions of of the adobe apps come out, your machine will start to show it's age, but it will be a workhorse for years to come

2+ versions of shake have removed lots of bugs. I'd use it as a shake compositing machine, or an extra AE renderer. Although this will be problematic if you use lots of 3rd party plugins- you'll have to buy both the apple and pc versions.

although...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070212/us_nm/...ZlP_cIM6_UDW7oF

Edited by raven52321

That sounds like a pretty powerful mac to me.

The video card in that is what I have in my PC and is a $1600 card.

If you're not gonna use it in the mac, put it in the PC(I think you can)!

If you dont wan't the comp., sell it, I'm sure many will buy that box(I might be interested :-) )

one thing to note....

I think future development on Shake has been halted - thus the price drop from 3k to $500 (someone please correct me if I am mis-informed)

I'm guessing apple has a new app coming out that does the same thing, but is "all-new" so they can't just call it a new version of Shake

Yeah sell it and make some bucks- or make it a file server- tho it seems pretty new to put out to pasture.

If it weren't for the switch to Intel, it'd be worth more IMO.

I know I'd feel fortunate of someone gave me a rig like that :)

the rundown:

Quad 2.7ghz g5

8gb DDR2 ram

2x500gb HD's

Quadro fx4500

wifi/bluetooth/gigabit/etc

i think Tiger is installed.

my office is currently an all PC setup centered around PS, AE and 3ds max. my main workstation is a dual opteron 285 affair.

i don't feel that there is a current need that is being unfulfilled, so i'm not really sure how it could help me. are there any mac only applications i should investigate? i used to be a fan of shake (back before apple killed the PC arm) and i'd like to see what 2+ versions has done for it, but i don't have any ideas beyond that.

Yeah, that's a really frickin' fast machine! I bet the total cost on that thing was around 6k or more with that much RAM and that video card. I would LOVE to work on a machine that fast...I only have a Dual 2GHz G5. I have heard Shake went into hiding because apple is rewriting the whole thing from the ground up and looking to release it around NAB. It's definitely for compositing more than mographing. That box could make an INSANE render box...or...you could turn your PC into a render box and utilize the power of that box. I would say that it should be quite a bit quicker than your current PC.

If you don't want it SELL IT before Adobe Releases it's universal binaries. After that happens all the old G5s are gonna drop in their resale value dramatically. You can get a pretty penny for that rig - it's still top of the line.

I'm more of a PC person, but that's a good machine. I'd make use of it. throw a kona 3 in there and install final cut studio with shake. make some movies. thats pretty much all I use my mac for.

holy crap, i didn't expect that much of a response.

i was thinking of it being a video machine and putting the quadro in my workstation.

it should work fine, but i don't know if my 7900gt will play nice (the general consensus

out there seems to be a crap shoot). I must admit that i am kind of surprised that

the only applications suggested were shake and FCP. I was thinking that there would

be more available to play with.

as for reselling it... my boss kicked it down to me to use in a remote office, and i'm

pretty sure he wouldn't be too happy if i immediately sold it. he doesnt really have

any say in how i work, but i had better stay on the safe side. besides, the

functionality of another workstation will (potentially) vastly exceed the bit of cash that

i gain from selling it.

hmm. now i need to see if i can find a fibre channel controller with appropriate drivers.

If you are looking at other 3D packages, C4D would be awesome on that thing. As far as the fiber card goes, Apple has some that would not require drivers. They would be your easiest route. We have Apple Fibre cards in most of our boxes here and they are bulletproof so far. (We have been running our SAN for close to a year and a half.)

I must admit that i am kind of surprised that

the only applications suggested were shake and FCP. I was thinking that there would

be more available to play with.

dude, there's plenty to play with but look where you're asking. this is a forum for mograph and a little vfx. so outside of the creative suite and a 3d app or two, what the hell else would you need? i mean, you might extend your reach to boujou, pftracker, ableton, protools, reason, etc. if you want to expand your toolset but these are all available for pc as well - just like all the other apps mentioned - and there isn't much of a performance difference. besides a few bitter and outdated companies, you can get most professional level apps on both systems and get them to run fine. so I'm not sure what you're implying.

i figured the purpose of this thread was to enlighten you on whether or not this was a fast machine. that's an important question (I wouldn't know what to do with a xeon rig) and i think that's been cleared up. now go have fun with it! (but don't think after effects will run any faster than any of the computers in the past 2 years)

this sounds a little stupid, but I was given a machine and (although it apparently has decent specs) i don't know what to do with it.

I don't understand the actual point of the question, but I would suggest you use it for what you're paid to do? If it's only being a web browser that tells me you don't have any need for anything else. And if you have a need for something else, why are you not using it on this Mac? But if you're looking to burn cash finding Mac exclusive software, then the obvious is Apple apps. Short of that, a computer is a computer is a ....

outside of the creative suite and a 3d app or two, what the hell else would you need?
I don't understand the actual point of the question, but I would suggest you use it for what you're paid to do? If it's only being a web browser that tells me you don't have any need for anything else.

The point of my question was that I had no idea of the state of the mac and applications that were not available cross platform. Having the best of any available worlds is the ideal situation in any production environment; with so many people rabid about apple equipment/OS in general i was under the (apparently false) notion that there was something more to be offered other than the goop of the interface.

i was hoping that there was some "gem" of an app that was only available on the mac, and make the machine worth keeping as an extension of my setup, that's all.

Edited by misanthrope.

shake is hecka cheap now. throw your rotoslave and/or compositor peep on that gazzigajoink... there's nothing as nice as loading footage and a matching delicious greyscale alpha into your AE project.

though i'm sure this has already been suggested.