Sign in to follow this  
danb

"Style" infringment ?

I was going to make a mograph scene and i found that there is an artist that is using a similar concept as the one i wanted to do. The artist has beaten me to it. They have the piece published on TV.

I still would like to do a similar concept for just my portfolio. What are some of the guidlines to this sort of problem? How do i still use the same concept but use it so that i don't have any legal issues?

Its basically one object used as small particles to shape the 3d profile of one larger object.

Also i found a nice website that has awesome royalty free vector art. Is it ok to purchase these to make my own mograph? Basically what i wanted to do is animate the vecotr art for motion graphics using movement, 3d extrudes, scaling, etc. etc. If i use someone elses royalty free art will I be looked down upon for not creating my own work from scratch? The art needs to be purchased in order to use it. So to me this seems like it would be ok to use. ? ? ?

Its basically one object used as small particles to shape the 3d profile of one larger object

I wouldn't worry to much about using that technique , It's a pretty ubiquitous style. while your at it . As far as using stock images and such, if you buy it then it yours to use, whatevr gets the job done is cool. Not everybody has time to create everything from scratch. I bet half the people here have had to use stock at least once a week.

Its basically one object used as small particles to shape the 3d profile of one larger object.

That's a terribly common... dare I say fundamental 3D particle trick.

You should do it just to see if you can, but it's nothing original.

-m

Don't let any of those issues bother you too much if you're just starting. If you're learning and not doing commercial work, it's best to shoot first and ask questions later. Eventually you'll find your own style and probably end up making most of your vector art yourself.

As far as legal issues, you can't get into trouble emulating a technique. If that were the case the first guy to think up animating paint drips would be living the high life suing every animator on earth.

And, nobody's going to look down on you for building your competency.