Sign in to follow this  
bender

Sao_Bento vs Govinda

What existed before the big bang? Nothing? Dust? Where did the dust come from? Can you lay down some facts, not statistics or scientific theory, but facts that clearly explain existence prior to the big bang?

Scientific theories are not mutually exclusive with (insert myth here). Just because a theory is incomplete doesn't mean that we should jump to believing old out-of-date stories of how the world came to be.

Like Gravity. We know it exists. We don't know EXACTLY why it works. We are going on the current theory of the distortion of space-time from mass. But since it's not a for-sure theory doesn't mean we should throw the baby out with the bath water.

Besides, the burden-of-proof is always on the believer. You can't disprove a negative.

Christians believe what they believe and atheists believe what they believe, why can't we all accept that and move on? Why must we bash each other over our beliefs?

Technically atheist don't believe at all. By it's true definition a(without) theist/theism (dogma/set of rules/religous beliefs).

Christians are atheists when it comes to the thousands of religions in this world except for Christianity. But people who call themselves atheist only differ by that one religion. So Christians and athists have a ton in common from that POV.

Everyone is born an atheist until they are indoctrinated into their local culture's myths. At which point they'll reject it like they would Santa Claus or they will die for it, or in most cases somewhere in between those 2 extremes.

As for the "atheist" that say they "Believe/know there is no god", That is completely illogical since that cannot be proven. That's a belief system then. They then are theist by their own beliefs. They are then taking it on faith there is no god.

Most of us are "Aclausian" meaning we simply don't factor Santa into our lives. It's not that we go around hating Claus, hating Clausians, or being aggressive about insisting there is no Claus for sure (even though that can't be proven no matter how unlikely).

Guest Sao_Bento
a-theist, therefore, don't use the word 'believe'. If something is probable but not certain, it does not mean every other alternative is equally probable.

Good point.

What existed before the big bang? Nothing? Dust? Where did the dust come from? Can you lay down some facts, not statistics or scientific theory, but facts that clearly explain existence prior to the big bang?

Big bang is the event that defined space and therefore time.

So for scientists the question of what's before is irrelevant.

Quite recently some guys discovered that the universe is still expanding and not the other way (which would meant the universe had an end!)

Check the bbc link i posted they explain how stars and galaxies were formed.

how did the topic of religion come up in a topic titled... Sao Vs Govinda?? are we talking about deities here? or people who sit in front of a computer & make pretty things for a living? well, whatever I'm down for Saoism- or the govindan church of the eternal diode.

I am really amazed that so many people have so much built-up bullshit to discuss, and that it's rotting carcass is laying here in this thread...this thread is a ruse. that's what it is.

No one even cares if Sao is better than Govinda or Govinda is better than Sao anymore...

What the fuck has this world come to?

I am really amazed that so many people have so much built-up bullshit to discuss, and that it's rotting carcass is laying here in this thread...this thread is a ruse. that's what it is.

No one even cares if Sao is better than Govinda or Govinda is better than Sao anymore...

What the fuck has this world come to?

you cared enough to chime in.

that's because I'm nosey, and can't shut the hell up.

you haven't figured this out by now?

I want to see a Govinda vs. Sao Showdown...like arm wrestling or vantriliquism or log throwing...something.

Who cares about god? We have the possibillity for something really GREAT here.

I dunno bout you guys, but id love to see a mograph battle between sao and govinda. I think i would actually pay money to see such an event. Quick, somebody pick a topic!

I dunno bout you guys, but id love to see a mograph battle between sao and govinda. I think i would actually pay money to see such an event. Quick, somebody pick a topic!

atheism

I don't know, I did like Sao's piece inspired by Theo Van Doesburg, but I felt it was a bit long, and over elaborate. I think we should see what they can do in a 2.5 second piece based on Malevich's classic:

http://www.csulb.edu/~karenk/20thcwebsite/...Full.00001.html

Edited by basilisk

Guest Sao_Bento
I don't know, I did like Sao's piece inspired by Theo Van Doesburg, but I felt it was a bit long, and over elaborate.

Yeah, that was kind of my epic, LOTR style project - too bad the battle scenes got cut.

where's Govinda?

I just skimmed through, so I really didn't catch why, but how did the topic of Sao Vs Govinda turn into a debate about Christianity?

You gotta know that talk about two living deities would enflame believers in other practices of worship. Govinda alone puts Deuterotomy in question right off the bat (well other than the parts about how to treat your slaves, and stone your women).